• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] If there were no sponsors.....

nrihan

Eagle Member
If there were no sponsors, what discs do you think Pros would use most often? If noone told them to use X brand, what would a pros bag look like?

Putter- Wiz or KC Aviar?

Mids- Buzzz's and Roc's?

Drivers- Teebirds, Destroyers, Nuke, D1, D2?

Is there one of two molds that would be in everyone's bag? Are there discs that migt only be in one or two Pros bags?

Firebird, everybody would have a firebird. Probably destroyers for distance. Wizards and aviars for putting. Rocs and buzzes for mids

So basically an Innova bag with a Wizard? Are there other discs out there that pros like more than the Innova counterparts?

Firebird and Teebird in every bag. I can almost guarantee it. I would also be willing to bet that the wizard would be the most popular putter on the pro tour.

As far as distance drivers, I think that it would be scattered. Destroyer, D1 and D2, Rampage and Cannon, PD2 would all be popular.

Oh, and the Buzzz would probably be in most bags.

So basically an Innova bag with a Wizard? Are there other discs out there that pros like more than esova counterparts?

I don't know that we know the answer to this because, until recently, most pros were tied to either Innova or Discraft. So those companies will dominate.

I believe that many pros would branch out from the Big Two and throw some of the newer brands. Either way, you'd see a lot more mixed bags.

I think a good many pros would use the Force. It's a very reliable, consistent driver, especially for big arms. It would probably compete with most pros' PD2/overstable Destroyer.

I know when shusterick and colglazier had open bags at the beginning of prodigy they had buzzz in the bag, pain and xxx. I believe a lot of pros would carry both the buzzz and roc because a they are nothing alike. Rocs for slow turnovers and straight and buzzz for that extra glide and stability. I would bet a lot of pros would have the drone in the bag or zone for overstable midrange. I would expect the firebird to be popular as well as teebird and legacy rival and patriot. I personally like the river but would think they be too understable for the huge arms.

I believe that many pros would branch out from the Big Two and throw some of the newer brands. Either way, you'd see a lot more mixed bags.

I don't see it happening widespread. Maybe the occasional boutique disc but not on a large scale.

I don't see any of the Prodigy molds remaining in a purely mixed bag aside from PA1 or M4

I don't know that we know the answer to this because, until recently, most pros were tied to either Innova or Discraft. So those companies will dominate.

Exactly, so they would keep what they know and are used to throwing for added consistency.

Probably wouldn't see much other than the dominate, but you are right that there would probably be some mix. There wouldn't all of a sudden be tons of MVP/Trilogy/Rastaplast/Yikun/RIP/Gateway/ABC/Daredevil out there. At least not for a few more years when younger players who didn't just know innova for their formative years become pro and are throwing what they know/knew.

Innova has such a market lock its gonna be at least a decade for anyone to pick anything else in their "formative" years. 95% of new players are probably using Innova plastic.

Most of the Prodigy guys were reportedly using wizards when they were allowed to have mixed bags.

yo Ted.. what the hell is Rastaplast lol ?? can honestly say i have never heard of that one

they had em at gggt. there is a thread on here about them somewhere. im at work and dont have an address bar so i cant copypasta it but they are weird and stupid

wizard/aviar
buzz, roc
teebird
destroyer
firebird

with some speciality discs thrown in (rhyno/zone, more OS distance drivers, etc.)