• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan members! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geneva's course had to be tweaked a bit because of safety issues. It's not very challenging either. LOTS of chuckers that don't respect the game or the course play there and it's always busy.

I play a doubles league out there and you can see scores of -15 and -16 a couple times throughout the summer.

Last edited:
That doesn't surprise me at all. Midwest Disc Golf doesn't like other people running events on their courses. Remember the Madison Meadows/Black Bear/Randall Oaks fiasco a few years ago? I honestly can't wait for them to get too old to do their job.

I can't believe the cities agree to that, why limit the amount of events that bring players to the community and give the park a course rental fee. It's really too bad the parks departments are so poorly informed of their options and about disc golf in general.

If it's what happened in Lombard a few years ago, they just tell the park districts that outside clubs bring in trash, vandalism, alcohol, etc. They make it seem like they're the only ones around here that take care of courses and respect property and everyone else is just going to sh*t all over their parks.

So instead they siphon money away from the course and do absolutely nothing to improve and maintain after the install.

Hopefully you learned a lesson, Matt. You and only you are responsible for your scorecard having the correct score. Usually, a mistake like that will only happen once in a career.

I heard an interesting tidbit at the Ice Bowl- Aces and Chains was looking to run an event at Geneva and denied because Midwest Disc Golf has something in their contract about not allowing other people to run events. Is this something new? Is Geneva a good course?

I wouldn't doubt it......Kinda sad. Probably has something to do with merch. I'm pming you about this...

I can't believe the cities agree to that, why limit the amount of events that bring players to the community and give the park a course rental fee. It's really too bad the parks departments are so poorly informed of their options and about disc golf in general.

Look at how crazy they got about "who" handed in the money at Oakbrook. Ive been at the negotiating table with them first hand and I will tell you that it is no holds barred with them. They have this sickening sense of entitlement to any course (public course) they have had any sort of hand in. They preach about how they don't do it for the money......yada yada yada. And then snake the parks out of cash when the project goes for bid. And then they tell everyone they did it for the love of the game and not to make any money. People around here need to start "bucking" up a bit and stop taking this garbage from them. I have no problem with a business making a profit, but don't tell people you do it for nothing.

I've been barking about this too much lately. The bottom line is, they are flat out sinister in their methods. They refuse to go and learn about course design......and because nobody in the parks departments knows the difference between a good/bad course, they end up going with them because of all their referrals from other parks that sadly (and I really am not trying to offend anybody working for the parks who may be reading this) don't know what they have.

Look at how crazy they got about "who" handed in the money at Oakbrook. Ive been at the negotiating table with them first hand and I will tell you that it is no holds barred with them. They have this sickening sense of entitlement to any course (public course) they have had any sort of hand in. They preach about how they don't do it for the money......yada yada yada. And then snake the parks out of cash when the project goes for bid. And then they tell everyone they did it for the love of the game and not to make any money. People around here need to start "bucking" up a bit and stop taking this garbage from them. I have no problem with a business making a profit, but don't tell people you do it for nothing.

I've been barking about this too much lately. The bottom line is, they are flat out sinister in their methods. They refuse to go and learn about course design......and because nobody in the parks departments knows the difference between a good/bad course, they end up going with them because of all their referrals from other parks that sadly (and I really am not trying to offend anybody working for the parks who may be reading this) don't know what they have.

<Shudder>

Glad you were there that day and stepped in. I was not prepared for the amount of abuse they were set on doling out.

<Shudder>

Glad you were there that day and stepped in. I was not prepared for the amount of abuse they were set on doling out.

LOL.......Jenny and I almost called the cops that day.

The only thing that really gets me about that whole thing was all the garbage about how "they" got me the "top position" in disc golf in Illinois by running a league (really?....its a volunteer job people) and how I didn't pass their "test" (because of the rubber tee conundrum at Geneva) because I had the audacity to disagree with them about a few things at Geneva and other places.

All they want is for the league guys to do things their way is what it boils down to. They get the parks going about that extra dollar thing for every player and then "they" feel that they should go and turn it in. Why? Well....so they can go in and start the smooth talk about all the money "they" got together and where it should be put back into the course. Their website has extremely vague descriptions of involvements with projects/leagues in the area.

Oh and God forbid somebody wants to run a tournament on "THEIR PUBLIC COURSE" (see what I did there?). Why can't they? Last time I checked I didn't see Midwest disc golf, or for that matter, any companies name on any public course in the area. Nobody owns the friggin land. If somebody wants a disc golf course somewhere, where they can have complete control over what happens, then go buy your 30+ acres and put your own course on it. Build the Great Wall of China around it and never let anybody play it for all I care. You bought it so you can do whatever you want to do with it. Patrick is a nice guy......he runs a business as well......he wants to put a store right in the heart of Geneva. Of course they will put up a fight about it.........For the love of the game of course.:gross:

So instead they siphon money away from the course and do absolutely nothing to improve and maintain after the install.

Oakbrooks 9 (the one after bob ryans design, who was the "original designer) was bid for 10,000................do the math when you're bored

who are these dill holes known as the midwest disc golf whatevers? How were they appointed/elected? and what makes their word the 'final' one?
DISCLAIMER: I have never done business with Midwest Disc Golf. I just don't like their "finished product".

They "act" as a disc golf goodwill ambassador and sell their services to various Park District offices in the greater Chicagoland area.

However, they have been known to offer their "disc golf course design services" for free while they mark up prices on baskets, signs and anything else they can convince their next victim (aka Park District client) to purchase during the installation of poorly designed courses that always include unnecessary and easily avoidable safety hazards for disc golfers and other park users that typically share the land.

Therefore, the Park District reps that sign contracts to install disc golf courses believe they save money because they do not have to pay for "disc golf course design services". Unfortunately, the PD reps do not realize that if they paid for baskets, signs, etc. directly that they would save a significant amount of money on their respective courses. These government employees rarely have any experience with disc golf, which always works to their advantage during the sale process. Midwest Disc Golf motto....."Ignorance is Bliss". It's probably posted in their office like this:
play-like-a-champion-today.gif

To top it off, a typical Midwest Disc Golf contract includes a stipulation that states they are the only ones permitted to organize and run tournaments on these courses.

I am looking forward to the day when Park District reps understand more about disc golf and are able to handle these situations better before signing contracts written by shady attorneys that chase ambulances in their spare time. At the end of the day, we are talking about taxpayer dollars being spent in a very poor manner that results in a sub-par product.

Is there a listing of these courses theyve helped with. I would be interested in trying to show the PD how exactly well run things could BENEFIT them. Pull the rug out from under them...Im kind of vindictive that way :devil:

Is there a listing of these courses theyve helped with. I would be interested in trying to show the PD how exactly well run things could BENEFIT them. Pull the rug out from under them...Im kind of vindictive that way :devil:

Here are DGCR links to the courses they "advertise" on their web page:
OAK BROOK
DEKALB--PRAIRIE PARK
KIRKLAND--PIONEER PARK
SUMMIT
WESTCHESTER
LOMBARD COMMONS
STREAMWOOD--SUNNY HILL PARK
WEST DUNDEE--RANDALL OAKS
ROSCOE--PORTER PARK
DOWNERS GROVE--O'BRIEN PARK
MUNDELEIN--Diamond Lake Slough
HOFFMAN ESTATES--BLACK BEAR PARK
GLEN ELLYN--MAYFAIR PARK
GENEVA--THE LINKS AT WHEELER PARK
KLM--HINSDALE
ROLLING MEADOWS
HUNTLEY

Yep, and because they have helped install so many courses park districts looking to include disc golf in their parks end up getting referred to Midwest Disc Golf when trying to find help. It's a downward spiral. The more courses they put in, the more likely they are to get called to do the next job.

edit - Spaz takes full credit for the Huntley course. I remember when he first told me about the land, and he wanted me to go out and walk the course with him, etc. I don't think Midwest Disc Golf had much to do with that one, but they are buddy buddy with Spaz so who knows. I can see them helping to promote his stuff because he always promotes their parks/events.

Last edited:
Midwest's idea of "helping" put in a course is either showing up for a day or so, cutting a branch or two, or even talking with the park at least once or twice.

They were noting but problematic while Oak Brook was getting started. They had noting to do with the new layout. Nobody has ever seen a design on the course from them, and yet they had the audacity to toss snide remarks about how many the park has received over the past year.

I wouldn't doubt it if they started to advertise that they installed the new Oak Brook course....just wait and see.

Midwest and I have a lot of mutual friends. I wouldn't put it past them to spread false rumors about me. Nobody has said anything to me as of yet. Maybe because they all know that their statements are false...who knows.

I used to be good friends with them. They have shown their true colors when money was involved. And it wasn't even their money to get upset about in the first place. Now, I couldn't get far enough away from them.

Everyone should be inclined to make their own opinion about anybody. Nobody should have a predisposition about another person. Unless they're Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, Midwest Disc Golf, or that guy that ate the other guys face in Miami last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts