• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm done returning discs

If I find a disc, I usually give it away. In order for me to keep it, there can't be any ink, and it has to be something I've been wanting to try. If I don't bag it, I'll usually find someone to give it to. I have backups for my backups. I don't really need any discs at all.

Like some others here, my thinking has changed on this subject.

If there is a Course drop box, I drop it in the box

If no box...

No number goes on on top of nearest basket.

If there is a number, a quick call or text right then, I will be here (20) more minutes.

If No answer / response, goes on top of 18 basket with a followup at the end of my round saying where it is. I don't follow up after that.

If the owner responds while I am still at the course we agree upon a hiding spot, i leave it and never ask about it or check on it. Not my disc

In no circumstance does it leave the course with me. Not mine, I don't want it.

Oh and I for sure use 6 year old sharpie skills to mark my disc in big letters, it's ugly, but I don't care.

Let me clarify my definition of "return". I personally drove the disc to their house and hand delivered it. These people didn't have to do anything except be grateful. Sometimes more than an hour away each way.

Why did you do that? It's up to the disc owner to come and get the disc on your time. I get being nice and all but that is crazy to me, I would never even think about driving an hour to hand deliver someones lost disc. They got to come and get it.

It's not your duty to hand deliver a lost disc. It's up to the owner to work around your time and do the leg work!!!

I find it works out even in the end.

Half the the discs I find are un-inked, and half those inked I reach out to never reply. So about 25% of those I find are returned, and it's never hard usually.

Most discs I lose are inked, and I get about 25% of them back.

Zero sum game - these are simple pieces of plastic folks: on your death bed, they will be meaningless.

What I've done is to call/text with the location where I've hidden an inked disc. After that I try not to trouble myself any further. I have checked a location or two later to find the disc is still there.

In no circumstance does it leave the course with me.

A lot of wisdom here - (although I don't always heed it).

Probably the worst thing to do is to take the disc off the course and THEN text (like, when I get home) - because if the owner responds and wants it, I have to do something (return it to an agreed hiding place, mail it, hold on to it until we meet up at a tournament, etc.). It becomes something on MY to-do list.

So, if I'm going to do anything other than leave it on a basket or in a return box, I should do it right away - with the hope that the owner will respond before I leave the course. If not, I can hide it, text the location - and I'm done. It doesn't leave the course with me.

I used to always text when I found a disc, but I'm changing my plans.

Now I bring them to PIAS. They will do the texting, and the owner can easily stop by when it's convenient. I make a few bucks, PIAS gets a customer in the door, and the owner is reunited with their plastic. All with no hassle.

Win, win, win.

In no circumstance does it leave the course with me. Not mine, I don't want it.

I agree 100%. I recently lost a disc on my local course, and a well-meaning guy found it and took it home with him, about 45 miles away! I made arrangements to pick it up off of his front porch the next week when I was over that way, but he had forgotten to put the disc out.

It was another month before I got back over his way, and this time I was able to pick it up. If he'd left it somewhere on the course and texted me the location, I'd have had it within a day.

I appreciated the fact that he was trying to do the right thing, but it turned out to be a lot of wasted time for me.

This weekend I got two responses from my "Hey lose a (fill in the blank)" texts. First one asks can you hide it some where? I say sure and go back Monday morning and send him a picture of it in it's hiding place. Texted him Wednesday night, have you gotten it yet? No I'm busy. Disc two, I drive to his local course, not were I found it, and leave it in a mutually acceptable spot. Text him, did you get your disc? No, not yet. I would have gladly held on to them till it convent for both of us.

Why do I put forth this much time and effort and go though this stress and aggravation?

Because it is clearly what you think someone should do. There are crappy people in the world that will not appreciate that you are a decent person. Don't let it change you. If nothing else, get the endorphins from doing the right thing and leave it at that.

This weekend I got two responses from my "Hey lose a (fill in the blank)" texts. First one asks can you hide it some where? I say sure and go back Monday morning and send him a picture of it in it's hiding place. Texted him Wednesday night, have you gotten it yet? No I'm busy. Disc two, I drive to his local course, not were I found it, and leave it in a mutually acceptable spot. Text him, did you get your disc? No, not yet. I would have gladly held on to them till it convent for both of us.

Why do I put forth this much time and effort and go though this stress and aggravation?

Because it is the right thing to do. Period. I'm still toting around discs I found 1-2 years ago, because eventually I will run into the owners and be able to return them. Returned one last night i have been holding for about 18 months. It cost me the time of one text, 18 months ago. I personally can't be bothered by those who can't be bothered.

I'll keep doing it because it the right thing. I just got a little frustrated, disc returning etiquette has changed a lot since I first started playing. Yes, I to have a bunch of disc riding around in my car that folks indicated they wanted back but after several texts they forget about me. I just wish I had kept track of the number of disc I've returned over the years. I know that six is the most I've returned in a month, done that twice. And the most I've returned to a single person is 5. I think I'm better at finding disc then throwing them.

I used to always text when I found a disc, but I'm changing my plans.

Now I bring them to PIAS. They will do the texting, and the owner can easily stop by when it's convenient. I make a few bucks, PIAS gets a customer in the door, and the owner is reunited with their plastic. All with no hassle.

Win, win, win.

Very few PIAS call or text the owner. I know for a fact that neither of the two near me do that - I've asked them to do it and they've said no - it's not worth their time. ((If you go into the store and see your disc, they will sell it to you at the price you paid AS LONG AS YOU SHOW THEM PROOF IT IS YOURS. ))

I text the number on the disc right away (I don't call since I'm playing) and send a photo of the disc. I ask if they are still at the course. If they are, I let them know which hole I'm on....they can decide to wait at the end, to come meet me during my round, or have me hide the disc for them to get another time if they can't wait.

I pick up discs. Like most, if there is a number, they get a text. I'll stash it somewhere in the course.

No ink, toss it in the bag. Throw it. Gift it.

Not malicious, but not an extensive effort either.

Same here. Nope, I'm not mailing it, nor am I making any special trips anywhere. I'll turn it in or hide it if you respond back while I'm still out. Other than that, if you want it, come get it. If not, she mine.

Pretty simple, no sweat off my back.

Very few PIAS call or text the owner. I know for a fact that neither of the two near me do that - I've asked them to do it and they've said no - it's not worth their time. ((If you go into the store and see your disc, they will sell it to you at the price you paid AS LONG AS YOU SHOW THEM PROOF IT IS YOURS. ))

Ours sends a mass text and you have until the end of the month to pick it up. After that it goes into the used bin.

I guess not all PIAS managers are interested in bringing revenue streams into their stores.

i just returned 2 no namers by posting pics on fb. i have somewhat faith in ppl being honest... granted if it was an unmarked disc that i might want to throw, i may have kept it.

Luckily we have a pro shop (Final 9 Sports) at both of the nicer courses near me. I usually text the number and let them know that I am putting their disc in the lost and found there. If there is no ink, I still take it to the lost and found. I am hopeful that the owners of the store are honest enough that if someone comes in looking for a red champ teebird (or whatever specific disc) that they lost, that description is good enough. We are supposed to be getting another course near us soon, hopefully it can get a drop box for lost and found that can be picked up every few days and brought into the shop.

Hey man, here is what I do. When I find a disc, and it's usually at my goto courses, I just figure a spot the next time I'm there at my leisure, hide it there, and then text the guy with a photo. I leave no room for negotiations or talks or 5 back and forths on logistics. Just, "I found your disc at X, I hid it at Y in X. Here's a photo where."

There is no way in hell I'm going to do more effort than that. My hiding spots are very good, as in 99% chance it'll still be there a year from now.

Only 1 out of 20 times was the guy from way out of town and he told me to keep it. 3 months down the line, I check the location, if it's still there, I keep the disc. I don't want to keep most discs - wrong colors (which is why they lost it, translucent dark green and black, really dudes?) or just models I don't want - but they're useful burners or loan discs for newcomes/friends.

Latest posts