• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm turning over Pro Destroyers & Wraiths. Any suggestions to help a guy?

You need to be throwing a Max Weight Boss for anything over 200'. Maybe even a Max if you're able to break the incredible 300' mark. Your form is probably perfect, too.

LAWLZZZZZZZ!

Btw, slow motion footage doesn't do much for determining flaws in your throw. Slow motion footage is only good for a few things, showing good examples of wrist extension and showing "some" timing mechanics. Other than that, if you don't know what you're looking for, you still won't see anything looking at video regardless of how terrible you're throwing. :gross:

Why not just move up to a more overstable disc?

Because he's throwing farther than 200', duh. Don't need to throw a Max or Boss, or Xcaliber unless you're throwing under 250'. He's clearly throwing 320'!
He made it clear! All he needs an Aerobie Epic, or a Cheetah cause he isn't throwing with OffAxisTorque, he's throwing thumbers in circles. Oh, and he's naturally athletic.

Has anyone thought about snap? I was turning discs over for a while just by overpowering them because I didn't have much snap. I heard someone say yesterday that spin makes a disc go far, and it is absolutely true. You could probably have perfect form and not any snap and turn a disc over (if by perfect form you think about wrist orientation through the pull through).

I posted a vid a few weeks ago that explained snap perfectly and it really helped me out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the lack of snap seems like it could be at least a part of the problem.

To all that have given advice to help thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the sarcastic know-it-alls thank you too.

I have tried 2 things...

The first is standing still and throwing with no approach, x step or anything else. My mids, and putters fly straight as an arrow. The drivers do the same except my newest destroyer which still wants to turn over.

The second was a real friend who listened to my question and answered and watched. When I x-step he caught me leaning slightly backwards, a compensation for a leg that has been operated on 3 times, that I did not realize I was doing. This caused my disc to be released with the outside edge slightly up and causing the disc to turn over. The other thing he cautioned me on was pulling too hard and to just let the disc to it s job. Don't force it.

Now to the sarcastic know-it-alls. I never asked your opinion about possible OAT. ALL I asked was for any suggestions about possible plastic issues that may be contributing to it. I had the other part being worked on. Since no one here can see me throw I felt it was useless to ask about technique.

So before you spout off with a lot of drivel...

1) if you want more info ask before regurgitating.

2) Truly listen to the question and answer it. Not what you think is the question.

3) Don't assume (we all know what that does to you) I'm as ignorant as a door knob. I ask questions to learn. But there is an interesting thing that happens when you ask questions. You learn 2 things... First, hopefully, the information you were seeking. Second something about the person who answered. I got to learn a lot about some people here.

Jump up to champion plastic. The most overstable of the Innova plastics. Good luck flippin' a Champ D or Wraith...when brand new.

Pro plastic beats up way way way to quick. Probably the reason you've started flippin' your pro plastic. Great glide though. The best IMO.

Jump up to champion plastic.:thmbup: ( the best fix )

or....

1, get new discs
2, get heavier discs *unless you're throwing max weight all ready
3, get more overstable discs (Xcaliber, Boss, Max, Monsters, Firebirds)

Last edited:
hey Apothecary.

Thanks. the vid is nice and slowing down and just working on accuracy like that is where I am taking things from here. I am not sure I will ever be able to fully over come my bad left leg(post 67) trying to hammer stuff. So slow, easy, and accurate is now my motto.

Wow, this thread went down a huge turd pipe for this guy to reply with more smart ass questions just to essentially answer his own questions then get all upset over everyone pointing out his problem. Then tries to cover his ass saying the real question was about the disc, they were about the disc. But, your form was the problem, lol. You're a reall smart guy, anyway this is why I spend hours on here explaining technique in various threads as well as many other knowledgable people for guys just like you. Anyway, don't post questions if you don't want lots of wrong answers and a few right ones on this board, lol.

Oh and definitely buy more stable disc because their not harder to throw, more stable plastic like champion and Z and Opto that make then pretty flying 200' the diving in the dirt. Wish you luck, don't break a hip out there!

This caused my disc to be released with the outside edge slightly up and causing the disc to turn over. The other thing he cautioned me on was pulling too hard and to just let the disc to it s job. Don't force it.
So rather than throwing on a hyzer with no OAT like you insisted, you were throwing on an anhyzer with OAT (the "other thing" your friend cautioned you of is a potential source of OAT)? How can you possibly get mad at the people trying to help when the information you gave was incorrect? We can't possibly know what you were reporting incorrectly so we have to assume it's the most likely cause, which is OAT. What other questions were we supposed to ask other than, "So which part are you reporting incorrectly?"

I agree the scarcasm was initially unwarranted, but your reaction invited a lot more of it. If you want help you'll have to be open to all suggestions. You came into this with a solution (which happened to be incorrect) already in mind. That will make it hard for you to accept advice and make those with the most knowledge less likely to want to help.

I agree the scarcasm was initially unwarranted, but your reaction invited a lot more of it. If you want help you'll have to be open to all suggestions. You came into this with a solution (which happened to be incorrect) already in mind. That will make it hard for you to accept advice and make those with the most knowledge less likely to want to help.

I agree, as someone who has a pretty good form, I'm not going to offer the wrong advice. Yes, Disc Dog, you did only want a certain answer about plastics, however, telling you that answer would have satisfied you mentally but your game will not getting any better. That's all I and the others were trying to help with. Yes, champion plastic is the most stable version but again, it's only hurting you in the long run. I know we seem like pushy know-it-alls about the OAT, but its the single most common problem players face when playing DG. That and disc selection. No matter how the thread ended up, in the end we were all still trying to help you.

No one wanted to give you plastic advice, even though that's pretty much all you were asking for because ultimately, plastic selection is not the problem.

Plastic selection is personal choice for a variety of reasons, masking bad technique it not one of them.

Anyways, I hope you get it all worked out, I'm not such a jerk after all, I just get edgy when trying to help hard-headed people, lol.

Take care and keep us updated.

:)

273.jpg

pro plastic = your problem... unless you're the type to buy a new pro disc every so often, it's gonna beat in and get flippy. i do not, by any means, consider myself an expert, but after owning 2 pros and 1 r-pro and throwing them no more than 10 times - i can unequivocally say that each throw had a different flight and this plastic is just not consistent.

i desire/require consistency in my game so i don't play around with dx, pro, r-pro, pro-d - especially with my drivers.. i feel the additional expense in champ, z, esp, star, etc. is well worth it for dependable and consistent flight.

All of the sarcasm aside, the reason you didn't get an answer to your question is that based on many folks experiences they felt confidant that you were asking the wrong question. No, they couldn't see you throw, but they have in the past (like I know I have numerous times) been 100% certain about about something they were doing only to eventually find out that they were 100% wrong. In this case, I've seen too many Wraiths and Destroyers go 400 and way beyond thrown by some real gorillas to believe that those discs were at fault. I won't totally discount that Pro versions of these can't beat up significantly.

I can't remember how many times either myself or one of my friends had issues with going right and complained "but I'm throwing it with hyzer". The answer is almost invariably "no you're not", either due to rocking back (as you said), popping up at the last second, or wrist roll at the time of release.

Smart@sses aside (and sometimes even included), most folks here are really giving straight answers.

I have really increased my distance in the last year. I have started to reach back farther and get my hips more into the motion. I now throw very steady at 320' and can hit 350' on occasion. I know these distances are accurate because of where I play. I have thrown it past number 17 at Newport News and I can just reach number 2.

My problem is even releasing my Wraith, and now my Destroyers, with a hyzer on them I am still turning them over. It is not a little turn over it is really flipping.

Would a simple plastic change help or do I need to go to a Boss or Katana. I like wide rims.

DiscDog: The Pro Boss is about the only advantage when it comes to throwing pro plastic. Because of it's design, the champ and star versions are terribly overstable. As for pro katanas...the disc is more understable than you may think....either try a Nuke out or get the Katana in champion(preferrably) or star. I have never thrown the star, but the champion katana is what I like.

Also....keep an eye out for how domed the disc is...which I believe the more dome the more overstable and lifty due to wind currents. I carry a light(168) domie champion wraith.....it is not the best wind disc, but it is stable from the domieness and the plastic....and as you know fast and glidey

Champion destroyers are too overstable, and Star plastic wears out.

Honestly, I like domie esp crushes....very fast and glidey, but don't turn over....tournament stamped ones are generally flatter and more understable...as the "Z" crushes are hawgs....

Lastly, try out a slightly domie "Z" surge SS....fast, ultimate glide, soft landing, and you can throw it in a tight lane(where the wraith needs more room to flex)....definitely a must....and plays extremely well in the wind if you like to throw hyzer's, but can take whatever throw style you put on it. Basically a super str8 wraith.....generally the wraith will drive slightly farther(10-30feet)....probablly because of the skip and little more speed