• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In between rounds...?

thugjitsu

Double Eagle Member
So i played my first monthy the other sat and played intermediate and tied for 4th on a full field ~25 people. I did decent but not great on the front 18 to put me on the leader card and tanked on the back 18. (Thank god so did most others:doh:)

What im getting to is what do you guys do to stay in the "mode" or "zone" or even to kick into that other gear for the next round? I usually play 4 rounds a day but just the focus required during one round of tourney play took a toll on me.

if i played well i don't do anything. i hang out, talk disc, eat some food. if i did poorly i will focus on why i am there, to have fun. i may think about the holes i did poorly on a consider a similar hole i have played before and how easy the birdie line really is.

i do not go throw discs. if i want to improve on a crappy round, continuing to play poorly up until the next round will just frustrate me, and im not going to try and fix what isn't broken if i played well.

Just hang out. Don't think about it too much. You'll put unnecessary pressure on yourself. Give yourself a little time to warm back up before the second round. Then just have fun.

I have a catch disc, whamo super 165, it helps me keep "limber?", its hella fun to throw and catch, and it helps with making new friends. Eat something, just nothing greasy. Remember disc golf is for FUN!!!!

I usually play 4 rounds a day but just the focus required during one round of tourney play took a toll on me.

Maybe you should work on having better focus during your daily rounds so that your mental fatigue will not be so noticeable. Just an idea:)

For me it's got a lot to do with my mood and how I'm playing that day. If the first round was ultra crappy, rather than sit around and have somebody ask how I did, I'll go to the car and just zone out to some music and try to treat the second round like I'm just getting there for the day. If I did good or at least had fun, then I'll sit around and socialize.
It may sound like a whiney thing to do..running away and sulking, but the music takes my head off everything and with headphones someone always comes up to me, hence the going to the car.

I tend to think too much about my game so I stay as occupied as possible with non-dg related activities during the break. Last saturday at a monthly I dropped my card off, ate lunch, and listened to half of a james brown album while surfing the internet on my phone. When the break finished i went to my respective hole and shot a devastatingly hot round. Ended up winning intermediate, tieing first in advanced, and tieing for last place cash.

I ask the TD if I can help check scorecards, move baskets, or do anything else that needs to be done.

Maybe you should work on having better focus during your daily rounds so that your mental fatigue will not be so noticeable. Just an idea:)

I try I try, it's easier when i play with my dad cause we're so damn competative. With anyone else its so nonchalant. But im definetly going to start focusing more during normal rounds i neeeeeed to sink those easy birdie putts.

Do you guys find it a necessity to eat in between rounds? i think i might've been worn down because of the lack of food but i wasnt hungry at all. I should probably get some light snacking in between round to (theoretically) keep my focus up to par (pun not intended).

Depends, I have found tourney provided food is the devil, it's always something like pizza or barbeque or something that will weigh me down which I do NOT need help doing :D

Best to make a light sandwich or bring some fruit and granola bars with some extra water.

Do you guys find it a necessity to eat in between rounds? i think i might've been worn down because of the lack of food but i wasnt hungry at all. I should probably get some light snacking in between round to (theoretically) keep my focus up to par (pun not intended).

load up on carbs the day/night before.. that will help. Even if you aren't hungry you need to stay hydrated so you can focus.
I am hungry almost all the time so I always eat between rounds, but I also keep bananas, clif bars, granola bars, trail mix, etc in my bag so I can munch a little during the round.
It's good to have energy!

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

i eat something light between rounds, nothing too heavy for sure. and make sure that i'm properly hydrated. maybe stretch a little bit, take an ibuprofen if i'm feeling a little stiff. i try to find a place to sit or lay down where it's quiet and just clear my mind and not really think about anything. thinking about the first round doesn't really do any good for me. i think you have to let go of it - good or bad - and get 'out of the zone' for a while and give your head a break.

before the second round starts, i like to get to the starting hole a little early and get focused. mainly with upshots, 150' and in. backhand, forehand, overhand - that is the only time i will think back to the first round and think 'what shots can i execute better/what cost me a stroke last round?' 20-25 throws, then maybe 10 easy putts (25' and in) and i'm ready to go.

everyone has their own routine. figure out what yours is and embrace it.

eat / drink enugh.

Relax. Drink a beer between rounds. Helps me a lot :)

But seriously. If you do practice enugh, then your muscles know the motions. The only thing in your way is the head. So try to get in a comfortable mood, try to relax. Try to enjoy the day out, having friends around, being able to play golf. Once you are in your comfort zone, you play up to your potential.

For practice : make every round count. No matter what attitude the people have that you play with. Every round you play, go out there to beat your course record. To beat everybody on your cart. And not just by one stroke. If they are goofing around and taking it too easy, they have to feel the pain at the end of the round because you are 10+ strokes ahead. Try to be better than yourself. The REAL competition is beating your own lazynes, your own shortcomings, to go beyond what you thought was possible for you. Compete with yourself and every throw will be nerve wrecking.

5vGd_yjg7ylZSD7zNEQAvK0CHrx58ACiOR7CDRi0SvfE92SPiRiYpXO-T7SJZtOPkx6IzVR50y-IBSR3dkEKc8KdMO3us1_b_n2FmHI6WJid83L_fvL7XDFbOhm_bAHoWuTDMNics3WK76k19JgMB3CDsI_H0UkjpURM5vYvudl1Kw

I don't know how much this has caught on everywhere else, but here in NC this is the thing to do between & after rounds.

Something I did last Sat between rounds that I have rarely done this way was toss a putter with a buddy. When I did this in the past (usually only warming up before a tourney) I used to putt back and forth, but he kept backing up and we were maybe 60-70+ apart so we could do controlled full strokes. He says it helps him warm up (loosen up and/or stay loose/warm) and get a good feel for the hit/snap. I don't even putt with that disc (I think he said dx aviar but was soft and more flexi than any dx aviar I've held...almost like a pro or JK). After a while I started getting a good feel and was comfortable doing full strokes getting the disc to him without making him move much.

It helped my mid game the most as I only had maybe 1 really goofed up mid shot in the second round (they weren't all perfect but for the most part where I wanted them to go). Ended up holding 2nd in INT and didn't lose any on the leader on a pretty windy day.

5vGd_yjg7ylZSD7zNEQAvK0CHrx58ACiOR7CDRi0SvfE92SPiRiYpXO-T7SJZtOPkx6IzVR50y-IBSR3dkEKc8KdMO3us1_b_n2FmHI6WJid83L_fvL7XDFbOhm_bAHoWuTDMNics3WK76k19JgMB3CDsI_H0UkjpURM5vYvudl1Kw

I don't know how much this has caught on everywhere else, but here in NC this is the thing to do between & after rounds.

Was introduced to Kan Jam while in Rock Hill last Oct. Had a blast!! It got really fun as the kegs got lighter and people started jumping and sacrificing for the points.

Very few out on the west coast that I've talked to have heard about Kan Jam.

(missed edit deadline of prior post, doh!)