• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indoor Courses

The Pontiac Silverdome just sold for $580,000 last year. It was built in 1975 at a cost of $55.7 million.

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to find an affordable space for indoor golf/mini golf/putting leagues in the Ann Arbor area that you could combine with a brewery, restaurant and live music space. If you buy on a big enough piece of property then you could also go with an outdoor course on the same property. A DG Country Club is not not too far off in the future.

Anyone on here interested in looking at this in more detail please PM me. I've got some friends looking at this as a viable business plan. -Scott

I would be happy with an indoor driving range in the winter months.

Video Game

A bit late, but Big Beach Sports on Wii has a disc golf game to it. It's not the same, but it's not bad. The most realistic is probably on PS3. I think it's the Pro Sports or something similar with the PlayStation Move. The controller for the Move is VERY similar in weight to a disc, and gyros and accellerometers make the response seem quite realistic

Any word on how feasible this is, the driving range/putting area sounds like a doable and relatively affordable way to go. I've always thought a DG store that had a test range would be sweet.

Any word on how feasible this is,
Consider that this thread started in 2008 and all but the last two replies are more than seven years old.

Consider that more than half of the disc golf courses in the world have been built in the last seven years.

You'd think this idea would be further along by now if it were feasible.

Feasible, yes, financially viable, no.
I somewhat understand you distinguishing between the two, but for something to truly be feasible, it really does have to be economically/financially viable ...at least in the long run.

Even if there were a public indoor course run by a parks & rec (rather than a private/commercial endeavor), it wouldn't survive if it can't operate it within the budget.

Last edited:
I swear this can't be too far out tho. I mean in a smaller marketplace I could see it being extremely difficult. But perhaps in a large market, say 2-5 mil population, and using a membership program, similar to a gym or any other type of contractual payment style, I don't see it being much more expensive then running an indoor ball golf driving range, which they do have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you need is a building designed for multiple sports and then a manager who can coordinate the scheduling of all these different sports. Such as, tennis on Mondays, indoor soccer on Tuesdays, regular golf on Wednesdays, disc golf on Thursdays, and so on. If a given sport is limited to a particular day, I would see no problems with the building being filled to make it economically viable, especially if those given days were coordinated with leagues. At least on the disc golf side, I am sure that a league night would be a huge draw. If a facility was open a whole week to a given sport, there would be less of an urgency to get out, and thus what would have been a great crowd one night is spread out over several days.

I swear this can't be too far out tho. I mean in a smaller marketplace I could see it being extremely difficult. But perhaps in a large market, say 2-5 mil population, and using a membership program, similar to a gym or any other type of contractual payment style, I don't see it being much more expensive then running an indoor ball golf driving range, which they do have.

I agree it would have limited to large market area, and would add that it would likely be further limited to winter and/or glow because why go inside when the weather's nice? So probably limited to places like Chicago, Philly, New York, etc.
Not sure it would work as well, in say Dallas, Atlanta, LA ...where you can basically play year round.

Also, I'm not sure the analogy to golf works in terms of economics. The average DG'er isn't willing to spend as much as the average golfer. Lower margins mean you need more volume, and as much as DG has exploded over the past decade or so, I still don't think we rival golf in terms of sheer volume of players. One day, perhaps, but don't think we're there yet.

Last edited:
True... I rarely here the ball golfers I know complain about cost. Well the ones who still play because they can afford it. By no means do I think we rival regular golf, or any of the other major American sports... right now.

It wasn't too long ago that the football was a joke to people. I mean cmon, it's not really a sport like baseball, just a bunch of guys running around hitting each other. Or at least that was the thought 100 years ago. Overall we're a super fresh sport with lots of room to grow. Not that I want a mega corporate conglomerate machine, but things change with the times. 2 ball golf courses have gone bankrupt around me, yet they have put up 2 new DG courses in the last year and they're jammin. On is a pay-to-play as well so people are willing to dish up a little now, more willing then any other time since I've started playing at least.

What you need is a building designed for multiple sports and then a manager who can coordinate the scheduling of all these different sports. Such as, tennis on Mondays, indoor soccer on Tuesdays, regular golf on Wednesdays, disc golf on Thursdays, and so on. If a given sport is limited to a particular day, I would see no problems with the building being filled to make it economically viable, especially if those given days were coordinated with leagues. At least on the disc golf side, I am sure that a league night would be a huge draw. If a facility was open a whole week to a given sport, there would be less of an urgency to get out, and thus what would have been a great crowd one night is spread out over several days.

I live close to one of the biggest sports complexes in the country, so I can agree that this concept can work, though now that the thought of competing with 6 indoor olympic hockey rinks, 8 soccer fields, 8 baseball diamonds, 4 football fields and a gymnastics center sounds pretty pointless...

A bunch of disc golfers in MN rent time at the sports domes in MN. Most sports domes have nets that could be used for driving, a full soccer field in length (or more) and allow baskets. I have been to a sports dome day where we used soccer nets and benches etc. to make a mini course with obstacles to throw around. Nice way to spend a few hours in the winter!

A bunch of disc golfers in MN rent time at the sports domes in MN. Most sports domes have nets that could be used for driving, a full soccer field in length (or more) and allow baskets. I have been to a sports dome day where we used soccer nets and benches etc. to make a mini course with obstacles to throw around. Nice way to spend a few hours in the winter!

Let me know when this happens. Just moved back to MN from Oregon and not being able to disc almost all year SUCKS.

This is on the east side of the Twin Cities, right? It is pretty quiet during the winter in the western suburbs. Of course, now I moved to Hutchinson, I am not sure what kind of winter scene I am going to see.

...limited to winter and/or glow because why go inside when the weather's nice? So probably limited to places like Chicago, Philly, New York, etc.
Not sure it would work as well, in say Dallas, Atlanta, LA ...where you can basically play year round.

Winter in Dallas is usually too nice to stay inside. Summer time, get thee to the air-conditioned DG course.

I don't exactly know what's going on with it, but there was a course located in a 'cave' (I think it is an old salt mine) near Festus, MO (Crystal City Underground which is about an hour south of downtown St. Louis). Last I saw, there was extensive flooding that must have done a whole lot of damage. I think the place has been closed for over a year now.

According to the crystal city underground website, they do plan on re-opening, but I don't know how long ago or when that message was posted.

Let me know when this happens. Just moved back to MN from Oregon and not being able to disc almost all year SUCKS.

We play all winter. It just takes longer to get dressed before going out.