• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

indoor winter putting practice

Just kind of a funny story. Last winter, I decided I was going to change up my putt from the EMAC-style spin putt. I was going to go with a push/loft style putt and I was going to have it mastered by the time the season started the next year.

I ended up literally just copying Nikko's putt. I got really very good with it at the distance I was throwing it (within a 2 car garage, so, what, 20' or so).

However, once I got outside and tried it from anywhere outside that distance, I found that I was just putting with a spike hyzer... And I was HORRIBLE at it. And with even a touch of wind, I was even worse. Ended up going back to my putt.

I'm sure it must have looked ridiculous to anyone who was watching me first bring my new putt to the course... :sick:

uh oh... this doesn't bode well for me as i start that same journey. :doh:

Brian,

Putting through out the winter indoors will help. Just make sure you are not putting from the same distance and angle everytime. Mix it up, use obstacles, practice straddle putting (like a tree is in the way). When you get out in the spring again you will be better off. You will still need to learn to read the wind and other variables but you will have a good base to work from.

Two years ago I practiced all winter and I came out nailing everything in the spring. Anyone who thinks the practice does not help is crazy.

It isn't cold where I'm at...

Well, that is outside putting practice! This thread is about practicing inside :p See weather immediately above your post. 13 degrees is actually playable, if it's not too windy, but it's going to get even colder. Below zero it becomes sort of pointless because your muscles and discs function so much differently than they do during tourney season.

I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, where only the rain gets to you. We really don't do that cold around here.

385455_10151037113720457_148260880456_22036973_677184045_n.jpg

Feels Like 21 °F 10:29 (CST)

Friday 9th Forecast
High: 13 | Low: 4 °F
Partly Cloudy

:|:|:|:|

I went to school in Bemidji, looks like it was a nice December day

I practiced inside putting all last winter. Developed some good muscle memory, it payed off.

Making good putts is the same as making a good drive, you develop a feel for it with enough practice. When you get good at putting, you know if your putt is going into the basket as soon as you release it.

Indoor putting over the Winter is a great way to develop your putting, or keep it sharp.

13 degrees is actually playable, if it's not too windy, but it's going to get even colder. Below zero it becomes sort of pointless because your muscles and discs function so much differently than they do during tourney season.

Wussy!

You seem to have missed the point of this thread. Thanks for sharing your story though :thmbup:

do you really need to be so confrontational? i live in va where temps have been unseasonabily warm but rain is what drove me inside.

why people move practice inside wasn't part of the question.

Making good putts is the same as making a good drive, you develop a feel for it with enough practice. When you get good at putting, you know if your putt is going into the basket as soon as you release it.

Indoor putting over the Winter is a great way to develop your putting, or keep it sharp.

I agree completely

Got my basket in the basement for the winter.... practice is everything. Keep at it and you will feel it. You'll lose it sometimes but those are the times when it is most important to remember to just keep at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcVgNoA1WjY

Last edited:
We continue putting outside, I have a sort of obstacle set up in my small backyard, with tables, string lights zig-zagging back and forth, fence and gate, etc.. Anyways, it is T-shirt weather during the day, sweatshirt weather at night. The only time we move the basket inside is for rain, which has seldom occurred this year.

Putting inside sounds like a great idea, and when you can roll the basket outside and practice in the elements. That will keep you on your toes and still allow you to practice inside when the weather doesn't permit. In Wisconsin we play in 12+ inches of snow. It's much harder to throw the same way you would in the summer, so it doesn't make for the consistent practice but still fun!

Up here in maine we are spoiled:clap:, we have a nice indoor 9 hole course that gets set up in a barn every year. League nights are a blast with 30+ in the barn

Up here in maine we are spoiled:clap:, we have a nice indoor 9 hole course that gets set up in a barn every year. League nights are a blast with 30+ in the barn

I'm jealous :\
I putt in my kitchen, I figure if I can handle the distractions of food and beverages at arms reach then I can handle anything on the course :D

i can say that practicing inside this fall has definitely improved my putting and that the practice has transferred to outside rounds. last week i lit up the chains at burke lake hitting a few 30' + and nailing 90% of 20' and closer.

the statement earlier in this thread about "real" practice is true. i was only seeing moderate improvement until i started practicing like i putt during a round, i.e. setup and make one throw at the basket. now after each practice putt i walk across the room to my stack of putters, walk back to my marker, re-setup my stance, and then throw the next practice putt. imho standing in one spot with a bunch of putters in your hand and throwing them machine gun style into the basket is not realistic practice for making clutch putts.

i hope this helps others. practice makes perfect. :thmbup:

Latest posts