• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Colossus Review

Bomber311

Bronze level trusted reviewer
Just wanted to share my latest review with you guys:

Recently I had the chance to test out Innova's new disc, the Colossus!

Colossus review:
169g GStar
Test elevation: approx 4,900'
Temp: 45 degrees
Throwing style: RHBH
Wind: virtually zero
Sunny skies

When thrown full power on a slight hyzer angle the Colossus flips up to straight, then turns for almost half the flight, then fades left almost back to center.

When thrown anhyzer it will turn, but will fight out slowly the whole way, until fading back at the very end.

It does not seem to have a ton of glide but it does have a fair amount, when coupled with it's speed, it does go fairly far down range.

When thrown flat, it will turn for 3/4 of the flight then fade back at the end, landing a little right of center.

When compared to a 169g GStar Boss, the Colossus went about 45 feet farther when thrown flat. The Boss never really flipped up and stayed hyzer the whole way. A 172g Star Destroyer went just as far but with much less turn, ending up just left of center.

When thrown on a hyzer angle against the Boss, you could see the Colossus flip up slightly during the first 1/4 of the flight and then race down field, ending up 27 feet farther than the Boss and slightly more to the right.

In conclusion, I will give a slight edge on speed to the Colossus, thus confirming the speed 14. This disc is also easier to get big distance out of than the Boss, but I don't see it holding up to the same amount of wind.

Get yourself a Colossus and get bombing!

Colossus

Interesting. I'd be interested to see this disc in Champion or regular Star plastic. G Star is the worst gliding plastic Innova makes.

To go 45' further than a Boss is insane though. Sounds like a crusher.

I'm not trying to impugn CBass's review, but just a note of caution that some people were saying the same thing about the Dynamic Discs Freedom, about how much farther than the Speed 13 discs it went. Maybe for professional and powerful arms it did, but the for the casual player the Freedom was nothing special over the Boss or any other Speed 13 disc.

If the Colossus really does rip past the Boss, that would be a very good thing. But noodle-armed me will wait for "after further review" to take place before I rush to buy one...

Nice review, can you disclose the total distances on the throws for power level comparison?

Second for the profile pic.

I don't know why Innova even came out with G Star. It's not good plastic.

+1 :thmbup: :clap:

At the time GStar came out, as a softer variant of Star plastic, some people liked it a lot. It was also advertised as good in cold weather, and I'll grant them that.

Then summer came along, as well as people using GStar for a while and finding some issues with it. Very legitimate issues, IMHO.

So I can understand them coming out with it, and I also understand the growing criticism.

For winter g star is nice my only problem with it is it's far less durable than any other premium plastic yet just as expensive.

For winter g star is nice my only problem with it is it's far less durable than any other premium plastic yet just as expensive.

Yep, that became one of the issues that came out.

I'm just glad the Colt and VCobra are out in a much better, firmer blend of Star plastic. :)

I have high hopes innova will run a bunch of molds in the same blend as the grand slam destroyers that is the best feeling star in years!

Interesting. I'd be interested to see this disc in Champion or regular Star plastic. G Star is the worst gliding plastic Innova makes.

To go 45' further than a Boss is insane though. Sounds like a crusher.

Yeah, I don't agree with this for mids and fairways. The glide is fine and definitely not the worst. Not sure about distance drivers.

I can throw a max weight g star teebird further than any of my champs or stars.

+1 :thmbup: :clap:

At the time GStar came out, as a softer variant of Star plastic, some people liked it a lot. It was also advertised as good in cold weather, and I'll grant them that.

Then summer came along, as well as people using GStar for a while and finding some issues with it. Very legitimate issues, IMHO.

So I can understand them coming out with it, and I also understand the growing criticism.

Growing criticism...

It's a $16 frisbee, not a car. It does what it's supposed to. No disc or plastic is perfect.

Growing criticism...

It's a $16 frisbee, not a car. It does what it's supposed to. No disc or plastic is perfect.

I don't have near the hatred for g star that sd does but I will say for being priced same as star it is far less durable even less durable than some pro blends.

I don't have near the hatred for g star that sd does but I will say for being priced same as star it is far less durable even less durable than some pro blends.

I don't hate GStar, and I think it's okay in cold temperatures. My issue is how soft and floppy it became in summer heat, and how inconsistent is was (and is) in warmer temperatures.

I agree with you that it's not as durable as originally advertised.

I don't hate GStar, and I think it's okay in cold temperatures. My issue is how soft and floppy it became in summer heat, and how inconsistent is was (and is) in warmer temperatures.

I agree with you that it's not as durable as originally advertised.

What do you mean inconsistent no one disc is inconsistent, there can be inconsistencies across multiple discs. Some molds are sensitive to things like spin, speed, and nose angle, but that doesn't mean the disc is inconsistent.

What do you mean inconsistent no one disc is inconsistent, there can be inconsistencies across multiple discs. Some molds are sensitive to things like spin, speed, and nose angle, but that doesn't mean the disc is inconsistent.

By that, I meant that in the summer heat, my GStar Thunderbird would not act the same way from throw to throw, whereas my Champion Thunderbird flew reliably and consistently as expected within the bounds of operator headspace and timing.

By that, I meant that in the summer heat, my GStar Thunderbird would not act the same way from throw to throw, whereas my Champion Thunderbird flew reliably and consistently as expected within the bounds of operator headspace and timing.

If you had a throwing machine that thunderbird would fly the same everytime it was thrown. The issue is your g star thunderbird was more sensitive than other plastics and couldn't make up for your inconsistencies. And I mean that in the nicest way possibly I'm not calling you a bad golfer nobody can be 100% repeatable throwing a disc.

^
Ha

Are we talking about changes in flight or just the actual disc being damaged?