• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Colossus Review

By that, I meant that in the summer heat, my GStar Thunderbird would not act the same way from throw to throw, whereas my Champion Thunderbird flew reliably and consistently as expected within the bounds of operator headspace and timing.

You keep saying this. I think you think it should be floppy, so it is in your head. I play in as much heat as anyone here. Gstar is fine.

No

A disc could look like a dog toy and fly the same or look new, yet fly differently.

I heard g star turns into liquid during the summer

well soft discs flex more and cause flutter from the oblongationism of the lift momentum off axis circle spinning and turns the disc into a substance which is no longer solid that starts to melt in mid air causing the flight to be unrepeatable given any same throw due to liquidification of the flight plate and rim polymers only for a moment upon the hit of a throw which makes for less overall stability in the players mind body and soul.

No

A disc could look like a dog toy and fly the same or look new, yet fly differently.

I think we all know as discs wear their flight patterns change. If that wasn't the case nobody would cycle or replace discs unless they lost them.

So YES physical wear and flight change go hand in hand when speaking to one disc not multiples from the same mold.

How unusual! Another thread about a disc that gets derailed by SD86 on his G* soapbox!

If you had a throwing machine that thunderbird would fly the same everytime it was thrown. The issue is your g star thunderbird was more sensitive than other plastics and couldn't make up for your inconsistencies. And I mean that in the nicest way possibly I'm not calling you a bad golfer nobody can be 100% repeatable throwing a disc.

At first, I thought that the problem WAS me vis-a-vis that disc. Then I got the Champ Thunderbird and saw that it had to be something else. I still believe that in the summer Georgia heat, the GStar was just not quite the same day by day; it really does soften up in heat more than any other disc plastic I know of.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't buy GStar discs any more, so it's no longer an issue for me...

Last edited:
I think we all know as discs wear their flight patterns change. If that wasn't the case nobody would cycle or replace discs unless they lost them.

So YES physical wear and flight change go hand in hand when speaking to one disc not multiples from the same mold.

I don't think I'm getting your point.

I've seen thrashed MVP discs that fly the same for example. I would say the durability isn't great due to the cuts and dings, but the flight is the same.

At first, I thought that the problem WAS me vis-a-vis that disc. Then I got the Champ Thunderbird and saw that it had to be something else. I still believe that in the summer Georgia heat, the GStar was just not quite the same day by day; it really does soften up in heat more than any other disc plastic I know of.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't buy GStar discs any more, so it's no longer an issue for me...

Please keep posting about these non issues.

I don't think I'm getting your point.

I've seen thrashed MVP discs that fly the same for example. I would say the durability isn't great due to the cuts and dings, but the flight is the same.

That just means they are very durable but given enough wear the flight pattern WILL change.

I would call mvp the exact opposite of g star in that regard.

I do realize the flight will eventually change.

I suppose I split durability into two parts. Asthetics and flight. Some plastics have issues with both.

I do realize the flight will eventually change.

I suppose I split durability into two parts. Asthetics and flight. Some plastics have issues with both.

Ahh agreed and g star is bad with both. But with most plastics aesthetics and flight will change together to a point as the disc wears.

G Star is technically throwable, but I'd never pay money for it or trade for it. The few G Star discs I have I found. I dislike the plastic blend. It's too gummy and floppy. It doesn't glide well. It feels like you're throwing a pancake during the summer.

My main point is, if I'm introducing a new mold and trying to get people hooked on it, the absolute LAST plastic I'd start it in is G Star. I just don't think G Star is a good representation of a mold. I'd release it in Champion and Star concurrently. That or make it a CFR.

The Colossus could be the best distance driver out there, but releasing it in G Star won't necessarily make that apparent because the plastic isn't optimal.

I have not found this to be true at all. In fact I throw GStar year round. The benefits of GStar are more apparent during cold and/or wet conditions.

G Star is technically throwable, but I'd never pay money for it or trade for it. The few G Star discs I have I found. I dislike the plastic blend. It's too gummy and floppy. It doesn't glide well. It feels like you're throwing a pancake during the summer.

My main point is, if I'm introducing a new mold and trying to get people hooked on it, the absolute LAST plastic I'd start it in is G Star. I just don't think G Star is a good representation of a mold. I'd release it in Champion and Star concurrently. That or make it a CFR.

The Colossus could be the best distance driver out there, but releasing it in G Star won't necessarily make that apparent because the plastic isn't optimal.

R-pro colossus