• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

UpFromTheAshes said:
Just wanted to toss in my little contribution to the discussion.

I finally picked up a 171 startana at the local PIAS, and this thing is WAY flat. It's also way more overstable than my domey protana. IMO this thing flies very similar to my champ Bosses.

Pick up a Star one as well the other day. For me, I would not go as far as describing it like any of my Bosses, but it has a hell of a lot more HSS and LSS than any other Katana I have. It actually works out perfect for my game. A nice flat release gets a mild right turn that finishes flat, a slight hyzer just flat out gets straight distance before a touch of fade at the end. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite discs.

I found a no-ink star katana the other day.

1 word: Ish.

It was pretty stupid stable and the profile was so slim my first throw slipped out. Same problem I have with Flicks.

Not my cup-o-tea

I like the protana it consistantly hangs to the right on a RHBH throw if held flat or the outside edge is tilted slightly. I have noticed that if you tilt the outside edge down just a hair it will take off looking as if it will fly off to the left, but it will level out and even hang to the right if thrown with enough force glide for a good long while and then slowly fade to the left. I have used this flight pattern to pass one of the 500 plus foot holes at my home course. I guess that all depends on your style, arm, and experience.

ManU said:
also I have 3 pro Katanas a yellow 172, pink 170 and a white x out 170
the x out is actually pretty much a meathook (relatively speaking) while the pink is a virtual roller (the pink does have some more throws on it)

I also have a pro 170 pink katana that was much flippier than any other katana I have ever thrown. I dont know why the dome did not seem massive but it was almost a roller out of the box.

cornelius said:
ManU said:
also I have 3 pro Katanas a yellow 172, pink 170 and a white x out 170
the x out is actually pretty much a meathook (relatively speaking) while the pink is a virtual roller (the pink does have some more throws on it)

I also have a pro 170 pink katana that was much flippier than any other katana I have ever thrown. I dont know why the dome did not seem massive but it was almost a roller out of the box.
Big dome doesn't necessarily mean flippy behaviour, it just means that the disc will be glidey. Granted there are molds and runs where big dome and low PLH (understability) correlate, but it's not a causation. PLH is where it's at when it comes to relative stability.

Bought a x-out 170 startana (white) as a hopeful eventual replacement for my protana (one errant drive against a tree caved part of the wing in, not so cool) .. It's simply not the same disc at all, the plh is _way_ higher on the startana (it's also pancake flat), and it's meathook-ish for me so far

Hoping it breaks in semi-dramatically, I've got overstable in the bag, that wasn't what I was after at all :(

My protana had gotten a little to flippy for me, so I pretty much had given up on it for the last month. I found a CFS Katana last week and it has less HSS and has renewed the spot in my bag the protana had lost. Thing flies like a thing of beauty.

I want more Farting Lemons... I threw my Echo Star, Farttana and Masterstana side to side today and the Farting Lemons is easily the most consistent, controllable and often the longest too. The Masters champtana usually behaves like the Lemon, but today the unusually hot sun (something like 85-90 in the shade) turned it into putty and it was very unpredictable, sometimes flying just like the Lemon but often flipping out like a bipolar ninja.

I found a Pro Katana 170g with a dye job and no ink at Chavez Ridge a couple weeks ago. Threw it in the field and it was quite easy to manipulate and very fast. I threw it about 4' high with a little bit of hyzer and it went 380'.

jimidisc.jpg

I pretty much wrote Katana's off after my experience with the Pro version. However, after playing with a dude that was getting such effortless D from a Echo Katana last week I had to reconsider them. He said Echo was his favorite followed by star then champ. I didn't see any Echo at the discmonger so i grabbed a regular production 168g Star. It's flat making it insane fast. It turns but it comes back making it way more predictable than the Pro. I'm definately going to keep throwing it, and I may have to check out the Echo Star.

I'm not sure about all that super stable talk a few pages back. This definatley is not overstable.

I'm pretty sure echos were only CFR (Presidents Cup and Bowling Green), limited run of 500 discs for the Presidents Cup.

EDIT: Ok, there's the Northwoods Open ones also...

echos are easy to find at pretty much any innova tourney. echo- is recycled plastic. I bought a star hoping for an anhyzer forehand like my pro. The thing is wicked over stable for me. I throw 350 consistency and 375 max. It is a star.

Spinach D said:
I pretty much wrote Katana's off after my experience with the Pro version. However, after playing with a dude that was getting such effortless D from a Echo Katana last week I had to reconsider them. He said Echo was his favorite followed by star then champ. I didn't see any Echo at the discmonger so i grabbed a regular production 168g Star. It's flat making it insane fast. It turns but it comes back making it way more predictable than the Pro. I'm definately going to keep throwing it, and I may have to check out the Echo Star.

I'm not sure about all that super stable talk a few pages back. This definatley is not overstable.

I don't know why you would write off the protana so fast if you throw RHBH you can get a very usable flight out of it. As I've posted before if you tilt the outer edge of the disc slightly down it will take off looking as if it will hang left but then it straightens out and even hangs to the right before it travels for a good while then slowly takes its natural turn. This same flight pattern has given me some major D on the 535 foot hole on my home course and on more than one occasion has travel past it.

Don't know if it's already been said but
is there stability differences in startana between colours? Are some colours more stable than others?

bullet said:
is there stability differences in startana between colours? Are some colours more stable than others?
The differences in star plastic are almost always more dependent on PLH and dome shape rather than color.

jnecessary said:
bullet said:
The differences in star plastic are almost always more dependent on PLH and dome shape rather than color.
The differences in every plastic are always dependent on PLH (stability) and dome (glide, occasionally how soon or late the LSS kicks in). Colors never affect flight directly, but certain colors can definitely consistently mold with certain PLH and dome properties. For example when I was at the Discmania warehouse I noticed that all the 168-171 range pink Pro Destroyers I found were pretty much identical, more domey than almost any other color. Also the sky blue S-DDs were more domey and lower PLH than other S-DDs I compared them to. Color doesn't automatically mean anything, but can be useful when searching for certain PLH and dome characteristics.

jubuttib said:
jnecessary said:
bullet said:
The differences in every plastic are always dependent on PLH (stability) and dome (glide, occasionally how soon or late the LSS kicks in). Colors never affect flight directly, but certain colors can definitely consistently mold with certain PLH and dome properties. For example when I was at the Discmania warehouse I noticed that all the 168-171 range pink Pro Destroyers I found were pretty much identical, more domey than almost any other color. Also the sky blue S-DDs were more domey and lower PLH than other S-DDs I compared them to. Color doesn't automatically mean anything, but can be useful when searching for certain PLH and dome characteristics.

I'm glad some people understand this. Stability has nothing to do with color. If they run a bunch of pink discs that all happen to cool with a HPL, fine, but that doesn't mean that the color pink is responsible for anything. It could just as easily be blue that cools differently next run. Working in a plastic injection molding shop myself, I can tell you that tiny environmental factors, such as whether or not we happen to have the bay door open, can affect all plastic parts. The colors themselves are all basically chemically identical.

Ryan C said:
jubuttib said:
jnecessary said:
bullet said:

I'm glad some people understand this. Stability has nothing to do with color. If they run a bunch of pink discs that all happen to cool with a HPL, fine, but that doesn't mean that the color pink is responsible for anything. It could just as easily be blue that cools differently next run. Working in a plastic injection molding shop myself, I can tell you that tiny environmental factors, such as whether or not we happen to have the bay door open, can affect all plastic parts. The colors themselves are all basically chemically identical.

Right, but if all the pinks come out with the HPL it's a lot easier to look for a color than it is a HPL.

Ok, I just read the Nuke thread and somebody talked there about some colours being more stable than others.

But anyhow I just bought 175g super flat startana and 168g domey protana. Wen't to fiel to test them and notised that they are two different discs. Only got the time to throw them both 5-10 times. The protana is nice long anhyzer bomb but the startana was more like mix of TB and Boss (star boss). It was as long as Boss but it has similiar flight path with TB. Well little more fade but still.
I really like them both.