• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Nova

I've watched a bit of the Aussie open and the Memorial, and I've been very impressed by what McBeth can do with the Nova on straight approaches. It just floats up there dead nuts straight.

Yea I'm thinking about putting one back in the bag as well. They really are great approach discs, and it works great on drives as well. I'll probably end up with 4 putter molds, but oh well they are all awesome in their own right...

$8 F2 XT nova's @ InnovaProShop... Great investment... Awesome for shooting down big hills... Changed my elevation game big time

$8 F2 XT nova's @ InnovaProShop... Great investment... Awesome for shooting down big hills... Changed my elevation game big time

Yeah those are a good deal. I thought the f2s might have some overmold issues that affected grip, but I picked up 3 anyway and im glad I did...one is just an in between colored rim and two have slight voids high on the inside of the rim that you can't feel at all no matter how you hold it.

I've thrown the Nova a bunch last year for fun. Had it in my bag for about a month. It's a great disc if your form is up to speed. If your release angles are consistent and you can put a good amount of spin on the disc it is amazing. If you're not so consistent or known to be a torque monkey then it can quickly get squirrely on you.

I believe my buddy's term "stubborn" is a good way to describe the disc. When thrown properly it does not deviate from it's original release angle through most of it's flight. For people like McBeth it makes it a no brainer point and shoot approach/short driving disc.

I've thrown the Nova a bunch last year for fun. Had it in my bag for about a month. It's a great disc if your form is up to speed. If your release angles are consistent and you can put a good amount of spin on the disc it is amazing. If you're not so consistent or known to be a torque monkey then it can quickly get squirrely on you.

I believe my buddy's term "stubborn" is a good way to describe the disc. When thrown properly it does not deviate from it's original release angle through most of it's flight. For people like McBeth it makes it a no brainer point and shoot approach/short driving disc.

just as important as release angles is the follow through with the nova. even if you throw/relase hyzer with it, if you follow through with even a hint of turnover form it'll start to turn over later in its flight, and vice versa.

you can do some cool shots doing hyzer angle release with a level throw and a level follow through where the disc will hold that hyzer angle but travel straight until it'll hits ground. Its like when people do those spin putts that travel totally straight but at a hyzer angle towards the basket.

a lot of people like to label it as a newbie disc, but its almost the exact opposite.

a lot of people like to label it as a newbie disc, but its almost the exact opposite.

I think it goes both ways, honestly. Because it is so unforgiving on form, it is a great teaching tool to help new players dial in good form. As someone who struggled with form early on and didn't know better, this disc has really allowed me to correct backhand form without consciously thinking about it. I just throw the way I've become accustomed too since bagging the Nova.

On ther the other side, it is becoming a finese disc for all sorts of trouble situations as well as standard approach shots. I have started to be able to count on it for straight, hyzer, and anhyzer shots. For those who are more experienced, the Nova will be that type of disc, and be reliable every time.

I really like the Pro Nova(Carry one depending on the course), but definitely not a fan of the XT Nova's.

There's a difference? Besides the stamp, that is? I thought the Pro Novas were a happy accident, the blend of Pro turned out to be very grippy and durable. They rebranded it as XT and changed the stamp.

Yep, they're all XT. I believe it's the same thing as with Star Foxbats, many of them are actually GStar but the blend didn't have a name yet.

Yeah I have two nova stamped and two xt nova stamped and theres no difference

The star mako is another one like the foxbat, mine feels just like gstar but it doesnt have any glitter in it.

My early run nova feels much more firm and durable than the XT Nova I picked up recently. The rim and flight plate on my pro nova aren't nearly as tacky and soft as the XT I snagged. Maybe the XT I picked up was a fluke or something.

My early run nova feels much more firm and durable than the XT Nova I picked up recently. The rim and flight plate on my pro nova aren't nearly as tacky and soft as the XT I snagged. Maybe the XT I picked up was a fluke or something.

Thats just the variance between novas...all mine are 175, one xt stamp is stiffer through the flight plate and one non-xt stamped. The other two are a little softer. How grippy the rim is depends on the color a tiny bit and also I think how early in the run. Earlier in the run they end up with a little more of whatever lubricant they use on the molds to make them release better (just a theory). Once I washed the rims all my novas felt about the same. I periodically wash them with bug and tar remover too because the greens are basically beds of pine needles and they pick that up over time.

I've been doing a lot of upshot sidearm/flicks with the nova. It was kind of a joke at first where during practice during a round I'd do flicks with the nova from 100ft away, but I had a "HOLY SH*T finally figured it out!" moment when it started coming out clean and consistently with a nice gentle hyzer into gimmy putt range.

I finally learned how to throw consistent 100-150ft sidearms because of doing it with the nova.

Now I can approach the pin/circle using hyzer from both sides [using a backhand or forehand] it helps so much in wooded courses. No more cut rollaways from touchy anny shots. I actually use the nova most of the time for those upshots now forehand and backhand.

If I need more fade then I'll use a P2, Gator, or even a firebird but now its no longer a get out of jail shot last resort type of thing, I can use a putter flick with a nova to make a natural hyzer up shot from either side.

Last edited:
I think I may have the rarest of novas: a nova which has the same color rim as the flight plate. it was a factory 2nd and only one of them available at the factory store a couple months back when I bought a bunch for upshot/putting practice. In typical innova fashion it's max weight but actually weights 2g heavier at 177g.

16206277514_ca38c2ee36_c.jpg

^the one thing I noticed after wiping the stamp off of novas... is that they aren't as ugly/weird looking now. Man I would just buy a whole new set of 10novas if they offered them in monochromatic color schemes like the all red one I have.

maybe the overmolds (specifically the white ones) can be dyed?

Yeah not a big fan of the stamp myself. The one I had I wiped the stamp except for the small Innova swoosh logo. Looked fine but I eventually wiped the rest.

I'll keep an eye out for the single colors for sure now that looks nice.

I liked the first stamp, don't care for the xt stamp with its diamond plate('Murrica!) pattern. Doesn't really matter because I almost always wipe the stamp off of my putters.
Also, doing an acetone wipe really brings out the tacky grippiness of the xt plastic.

I know I'm a little slow on the uptake here, but the Nova is STUPID straight. It's insane to throw a disc, and have absolutely no turn or fade at all. I keep throwing it during tag rounds, and people laugh at the disc until they see it fly. Then they're like "Holy crap! What was that?"

I agree with the zero turn, but both of mine have just the slightest amount of fade, maybe a .5 or .25 on Innova's scale. I max out at about 250 with it, so maybe that is part of it. I love the disc and agree it is almost completely point and shoot, but I have never owned a disc that had zero turn and zero fade out of the box. I don't think it is possible to make a disc that way, although one can season to that type of flight.