• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Stud: New PnA

There's an old Columbus Open video (before it was the BHMO) and it has a clip of Brent Hambrick throwing a Viper on a football field. The video is from '92 or '93 and the Viper was a new disc. He threw it from one end zone out the back of the other. Not 400', but he crushed it nonetheless.

Pretty sure the viper had the distance record at some point. I don't have the power to get distance out of them.

Pretty sure the viper had the distance record at some point. I don't have the power to get distance out of them.

Viper held the distance record two separate times back in 1993. It was achieving distance by virtue of its speed alone, it was way faster out of the hand than anything else back then. So I have been told, anyways. Viper held the record for 2 years until big bad Stokely and his X-Clone knocked it off.

The Whale, Colt & Stud are all "VTech". Using Innovas flight #s as a reference Colt 3/4/-1/1 Whale 2/3/0/1 Stud 3/3/0/2. I know flight #s should be taken with a grain of salt. The Whale is slower but the Stud seems closer to the Whale in terms of stability. That's all I was saying. I haven't held a Stud in my hand yet. So it may very well be closer to the Colt in terms of how it feels in the hand.

In the PDGA specs, the Stud and Colt are both a 1.3 cm rim depth whereas the Whale is 1.5cm. Stud and Colt also both have 1.1 cm rim thickness whereas Whale is 1.0 cm. Given the specs and Innova calling out the Stud as the "big brother of the Colt" on their dealer page, I think it's safe to assume that the Stud will be more similar in feel to a Colt than a Whale. For me, that's a good thing since the Whale is too deep with too high of a shoulder for me to feel comfortable driving or putting it, whereas the Colt is shallow enough to be much more comfortable.

I wonder if Innova was already planning the Stud when the Colt was produced, which was why they retooled the Colt after the protos to be more understable so that there would be more of a gap and it wouldn't overlap with the Stud. That sort of makes sense to me. If the Colt is the true XD replacement, then the Stud is more the Classic Roc replacement.

So...this sounds like I'll be picking up a stud to pair with my colt then, huh?

I wonder if Innova was already planning the Stud when the Colt was produced, which was why they retooled the Colt after the protos to be more understable so that there would be more of a gap and it wouldn't overlap with the Stud. That sort of makes sense to me. If the Colt is the true XD replacement, then the Stud is more the Classic Roc replacement.

Good points. Sounds very plausible, though I wonder why they made the Colt protos less understable in the first place.

Good points. H Sounds very plausible, though I wonder why they made the Colt protos less understable in the first place.

Wasn't the flight plate thinner, therefore more rim mass, Yada yada. Then maybe the fact it was flatter?

Wasn't the flight plate thinner, therefore more rim mass, Yada yada. Then maybe the fact it was flatter?

I think the protos were a bit flatter. I have 3 DX proto Colts, 1 production DX Colt, and 3 Star Colts. The production DX Colt felt different in the hand than any of the others, felt more domey. Definitely a difference. And IMHO that was unfortunate, as the proto Colts were awesome, but that production DX Colt was understable in a bad way (flippy, turned over at even less than full power). The Star Colt is a little more domey than the protos, but still flies well (only gets flippy or understable if I crank it full power).

It'll be interesting to see how the Stud does. I'm hoping it's very much like the Star Cobra but holds hyzers better.

Good guess I'd say, although I don't have a CR handy to confirm that it still has the patent numbers on the mold. What if the Stud is just the CR top and bottom with a different "VTech" wing piece?

I'd buy that guess for a dollar. IIRC, the VRoc was a VTech version of the San Marino Roc, so a VTech Classic Roc might be what the Stud is made of. Is the Classic Roc a shallow-rim disc? I'm expecting the Stud to be shallow-rimmed like the Colt....

I'd buy that guess for a dollar. IIRC, the VRoc was a VTech version of the San Marino Roc, so a VTech Classic Roc might be what the Stud is made of. Is the Classic Roc a shallow-rim disc? I'm expecting the Stud to be shallow-rimmed like the Colt....

Yep, the CR is definitely shallow. According to PDGA specs, the rim depth on the CR is 1.2 cm where the Stud and Colt are 1.3 cm, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PDGA measurement was off by a tenth of a centimeter. It's definitely close enough to be a measurement error I would say.

A *hawk*?!?!

For gods sake, man ... Doc is rolling in his grave.

LIKE!

how do you get hawk from that classic song?
When I listen to music I picture the story of the song in my head...I'm trying to imagine the mental images you experienced while listening to it with Hawk vs Horse. Lol

Bet it was some trippy ****

Good guess I'd say, although I don't have a CR handy to confirm that it still has the patent numbers on the mold. What if the Stud is just the CR top and bottom with a different "VTech" wing piece?

i could be wrong but im pretty sure the pat# are all the same

The recent run of Glow CCRs had no patent numbers. The only mold I've seen recently with (the expired) beveled-edged patent number still in the mold is the Rancho Roc. The ones on the Thumbtrac of the Birdie, Rhyno, and Pig are for the Thumbtrac, not the beveled-edged disc.

Just letting you guys know Studs are now available at discgolfcenter. Just ordered a dx stud and a p1x to get free shipping. Can't wait to try them out!

Latest posts