• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Insight on Raleigh, NC Courses???

TAKRep

I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to why Raleigh, NC is so light on DGCs. Does the parks department have something against them? I know there are courses in Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, etc (and I've played them all), but in Raleigh proper there's just Kentwood, NC State Centennial, and Cedar Hills. This seems incredibly weak when compared to Charlotte or even nearby Rocky Mount. Just curious about this. I'd love to see the city embrace the sport more!

Also - anyone know of any of the city's future plans for additional courses in the city?

At one point the parks dept did not like disc golf- unsure if that is still the case as that was a number of years ago.

I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to why Raleigh, NC is so light on DGCs. Does the parks department have something against them? I know there are courses in Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, etc (and I've played them all), but in Raleigh proper there's just Kentwood, NC State Centennial, and Cedar Hills. This seems incredibly weak when compared to Charlotte or even nearby Rocky Mount. Just curious about this. I'd love to see the city embrace the sport more!

Also - anyone know of any of the city's future plans for additional courses in the city?

as far as i can tell, there are not a lot of large existing public parks. Also a ton of growth in housing over the past decade means the new park space is being put in the outskirts of raleigh in the commuter suburbs. A whole bunch of new courses just outside raleigh.

I don't know why Raleigh hasn't put a new course in since 1984. :thmbdown: I've been requesting new courses every chance I get in P&R surveys and questionnaires. :wall: I feel there is still room in a few Raleigh parks for courses, but the chances are dwindling. A few of the newer parks are Nature Preserves or Nature Parks, so Raleigh won't be putting a course in those. Several of the suburb towns have added good courses recently, Apex, Holly Springs and Wendell, to compliment the others in Cary and Zebulon.

But, things should be looking up soon for Raleigh courses. There is a course in the Master Plan for Forest Ridge (on land owned by the Army Corp of Engineers) and the land has been scouted by reps of the Cary Area Disc League. The CADL previously announced they would also be working with Raleigh on a course at March Creek Park. (There's been one on that park's Master Plan for many years.) Plus, CADL announced they would be working with Cary on another course there. :hfive:

So, hopefully these plans will come through and we'll get new courses in before the 40th anniversary of the last course installed. :popcorn:

GO CADL!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Wow! Great intel, pmay5. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. I'll keep my fingers crossed on everything CADL is working on!

Within reasonable driving distance- buckhorn and rock ridge. Buckhorn is about a half hour outside raleigh- really fun course. The courses inside raleigh are indeed about average, space is definitely limited though. There aren't really any large parks with room to put a course in.

At one point the parks dept did not like disc golf- unsure if that is still the case as that was a number of years ago.

This is what I have been told over the years.

CADL and others are doing a lot to develop the areas surrounding the city however. Things are generally looking up. Especially south of town

Where is MTL when you need him.

1sVIOs

Attachments

• 2011-11-15-10-38-33-5-katniss-delivers-a-farewell-salute-this-gesture-i.jpeg
    2011-11-15-10-38-33-5-katniss-delivers-a-farewell-salute-this-gesture-i.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 25
There's a Clayton course in the works too, correct?

What'up Dustin. I (Steve) still haven't seen any development on it yet. Hopefully something will get started this winter. I think there was an issue of needing to absorb some private property that sits right next to the park. Parking could be an issue too if there aren't plans to expand that.

This is quite unfortunate as the Arlington County Virginia Master Landscape Architect is using Raleigh parks department, at the bequest of Bluemont's local Neighborhood Association, as a guide for possible changes to the course to protect the natural habitat.

The neighbor at the top of hole two pushed hard to get this through the government system five days after Ragnar Overby passed away. Rag was a long time resident and disc golf proponent in the neighborhood. Many of the Arlington County Parks department personnel consider disc golf an excellent park activity but the neighbor has started a legal process which must be recognized.

I don't know why Raleigh hasn't put a new course in since 1984. :thmbdown: I've been requesting new courses every chance I get in P&R surveys and questionnaires. :wall: I feel there is still room in a few Raleigh parks for courses, but the chances are dwindling. A few of the newer parks are Nature Preserves or Nature Parks, so Raleigh won't be putting a course in those. Several of the suburb towns have added good courses recently, Apex, Holly Springs and Wendell, to compliment the others in Cary and Zebulon.

But, things should be looking up soon for Raleigh courses. There is a course in the Master Plan for Forest Ridge (on land owned by the Army Corp of Engineers) and the land has been scouted by reps of the Cary Area Disc League. The CADL previously announced they would also be working with Raleigh on a course at March Creek Park. (There's been one on that park's Master Plan for many years.) Plus, CADL announced they would be working with Cary on another course there. :hfive:

So, hopefully these plans will come through and we'll get new courses in before the 40th anniversary of the last course installed. :popcorn:

GO CADL!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

If I may ask a side question, when did RADL turn into CADL? When I was at State, RADL was a big thing and CADL didn't even exist.

If I may ask a side question, when did RADL turn into CADL? When I was at State, RADL was a big thing and CADL didn't even exist.

RADL kinda fell apart over the years due to many reasons.

CADL(cary area disc league) has grown over the years along with several other local clubs. CADL has been a big part of adding courses on the south side of Raleigh and they have recently grown to take over running most of the tournaments.

RADL kinda fell apart over the years due to many reasons.

CADL(cary area disc league) has grown over the years along with several other local clubs. CADL has been a big part of adding courses on the south side of Raleigh and they have recently grown to take over running most of the tournaments.

Yes, CADL has been very active in running tournaments also. This weekend is the 2nd Annual Airborne @ Wakemed, a temporary course at the Wakemed Soccer Park, including a 1000' hole!. They designed and assisted with the State Games temporary course last month at the American Tobacco Complex and Durham Bulls Athletic Park in Durham. And I know they can't wait to lay out a course at the new Dix Park in Raleigh!

CORRECTION of my earlier post - CADL is planning to assist Raleigh with a new course at MARSH Creek Park on New Hope Road.

There was some talk a few years ago about a course on Falls Lake. As I recall there was even a bond that we voted on (and passed) that was supposed to partially fund the course. Anyone heard any more about this course?

CORRECTION of my earlier post - CADL is planning to assist Raleigh with a new course at MARSH Creek Park on New Hope Road.

They've been talking about a potential course in that park for almost 20 years. Good to see it come to fruition.

I'll be Raleigh in October and have Rock Ridge listed on my wish list, is that best around the area? If not, what is? I despise lots of tight wooded holes but see John Houck designed RR so it must be good.

I'll be Raleigh in October and have Rock Ridge listed on my wish list, is that best around the area? If not, what is? I despise lots of tight wooded holes but see John Houck designed RR so it must be good.

I think so. Buckhorn and Jones Park take the silver and bronze, respectively.

Latest posts