• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

instant gratification?

gianetics

Birdie Member
i want a distance driver for my gf. she loves the game but is not going to spend countless hours honing technique. at first i was giving her 150 class under-stable discs in the hopes of her starting to hyzer fliping them, but the amount of snap required alludes her. then i saw some open playsers (women) and they all seemed to be anhyzer-flex there throw for some good distance. i dont know what route to take. she can throw a 175 kc pro aviar almost across the park we live by(143ft end to end). she throws a 150 dx valk about 190ft on average.
then she gets mad when she doesn't par a 400ft hole. i am trying to add distance to her drive with just a disc. not the best approach but i just want her to have a good time. ideas plus type of throw please ie: anhyzer flex 160 dx beast or 157 star vulcan throw flat. i want discs that dont need a lot of arm speed. i thought a nuke ss would do it, but it didn't. P.S. i should change my name to longpost Jeremy(sorry).

If she can't flip 150 class understable stuff, then I don't think that there's a disc that will magically add distance to her game. I would say keep practicing with her because technique > equipment.

150 class ESP Avenger (not an SS) = flippy as all hell.

but this is is probably true:
...I don't think that there's a disc that will magically add distance to her game. I would say keep practicing with her because technique > equipment.

Last edited:
if she's like my girlfriend and resists coaching, there's pretty much no solution other than waiting it out. If she truly likes the sport and is frustrated because she can't keep up with you, she may ask for help (my girlfriend did this). A few days in the field my girlfriend was throwing understable 165 drivers 250ft.

If she can't flip 150 class understable stuff, then I don't think that there's a disc that will magically add distance to her game.

This is dumb. There's plenty of 150g discs that wont flip. Its not the weight.

This is dumb. There's plenty of 150g discs that wont flip. Its not the weight.

Thats why he saiod 150 understable...

Find a slower 159 class disc. She is not getting the disc up to speed.
I found some 130's for my kids leopard and wedge.

Latitude 64 Diamond, easy to throw, I can effortlessly get this thing out faaaaarrrrrr. Teach her to FH it, may add a bit of snap for her.

Latitude 64 Diamond, easy to throw, I can effortlessly get this thing out faaaaarrrrrr. Teach her to FH it, may add a bit of snap for her.

This, the Diamond is an awesome disc, my girlfriend loves hers and it glides forever. Get one of the 140's ones and it'll be money. Super easy to throw and grip, all those high speed and wide rimmed discs won't help anyone learn to throw.

she throws a 150 dx valk about 190ft on average.
then she gets mad when she doesn't par a 400ft hole.

For someone who's just started playing, 190 ft isn't bad. (It took me a year to be able to break 300 ft and then another year to get to 400)

Your question indicates that it could be expectations that need to be changed, not necessarily discs. It's likely that you've been playing quite some time and have skills and distance that she doesn't have yet, so she might be getting frustrated comparing her game to yours. Emphasize what she's doing right, remind her of the struggles that you may have had along your disc golf learning curve, and encourage her to visualize how great it's going to feel when she starts to 3 those 400 footers.

My girlfriend is about the same way. She does her own thing and won't listen to any tips I have for throwing better. She does put a Leopard out about 300 feet though, from a standstill. Instead of spending more money on miracle discs, we could trade girlfriends.

My wife won't listen to me either, but she will listen to some of my friends, maybe see if she'll play with some others and they might help. On to a disc, my wife loves her mako. Throws it with a S curve on just about every throw. I also started to tell her that she had one extra stroke on every hole. Made her feel like she was actually able to compete b/c her par was my bogey.

I know this won't be the popular answer but get her a mid 160's ESP meteor. My wife loves hers. I have recently started driving with it and found I could get it as far as some of my drives with way less power. The thing glides forever. The reason I suggest it is because its pretty understable and has more glide than any other disc I have thrown. What she lacks in power and speed can probably only be made up for with glide.

If you are dead set on a driver then maybe a beat DX leopard. My wife actually uses only leopards for drivers. She has a DX for tailwinds and turnovers, a Pro for dead straight shots, and a Star for headwinds and shots that need big fade. For someone throwing 225ish it works perfect.

I know that when I had to play lefthanded for awhile and basically as uncoordinated and weak as a teenage girl, the ESP Impact was very kind to me.

I know that when I had to play lefthanded for awhile and basically as uncoordinated and weak as a teenage girl, the ESP Impact was very kind to me.

I forgot about the impact. Both me and my wife used these while learning. great disc for sure.

My wife adds distance to her first drive by playing from the short tees. Actually, so do I, but one set back from her.

That's what the short tees are there for.

She also adds one to "par".

Latest posts