• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Instructional Videos

Want simple? Want effective? Take Scott Stokely's course. He's of course, one of the OG's of the sport with many records and wins under his belt. At 53, still playing top disc golf against great players half his age. He knows how to teach anybody, and is probably the most experienced disc golf instructor in the profession, having been doing this before YouTube was born and having taught thousands of students. You get individualized attention and coaching. Check it out at ScottStokely.net.

Want simple? Want effective? Take Scott Stokely's course. He's of course, one of the OG's of the sport with many records and wins under his belt. At 53, still playing top disc golf against great players half his age. He knows how to teach anybody, and is probably the most experienced disc golf instructor in the profession, having been doing this before YouTube was born and having taught thousands of students. You get individualized attention and coaching. Check it out at ScottStokely.net.
There is unfortunately not a laugh react icon in this forum.

Scott is a good teacher. But Scott teaches Scotts way and you throw Scotts way.
That's good for some not for all.

Coaching is about working with the player to achieve what they can do best at that moment.
That's not really how Scott teaches. He does to some extent, but you learn Stokley method, and that's it.

While a few of us in here are having to dredge through every bad disc golf video out there to see where you got dumb information as a player so we can correct it and provide 1 of 10 tailored solutions directly to your issue.

It's not a slam on Scott, but he's not that good.

And now we got Simon joining Uli's thing, and neither of them can teach. Especially Uli, who's teaching squish the bug. but doesn't even throw like that. hahaha. Simon is the smarts too, but these are "know how to do, not how to teach" guys.
And at least in Scotts case, he can teach.

Another pro to get killer lessons from is Eric Oakley. He's probably a better teacher than golfer, but he's trying his damndest to smack that fish shaped peg into a round hole and have a good season at least once.

But... there is a laugh icon in thus forum.

Hold the "like" button and a few emojis that you can select from will come up.
Yeah, about 5 minutes after I posted that I discovered its a feature now because someone had "smile" reacted to my post and I saw it in my notifications and I was like "how the fk did they do that?"

A quick edit here.
Your signature link is broke now with new forum.

Your signature link is broke now with new forum.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

But I figure that's like # 1723 on the list of things that needs to get fixed since the Great Migration.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

But I figure that's like # 1723 on the list of things that needs to get fixed since the Great Migration.
Well.
I duno if that one is on them there. but I digress.

There is some interesting things going on with this migration stuff. And some of it's pretty good.

I think its important for us to be a bit patient to see where this goes.

There is unfortunately not a laugh react icon in this forum.

Scott is a good teacher. But Scott teaches Scotts way and you throw Scotts way.
That's good for some not for all.

Coaching is about working with the player to achieve what they can do best at that moment.
That's not really how Scott teaches. He does to some extent, but you learn Stokley method, and that's it.

While a few of us in here are having to dredge through every bad disc golf video out there to see where you got dumb information as a player so we can correct it and provide 1 of 10 tailored solutions directly to your issue.

It's not a slam on Scott, but he's not that good.

And now we got Simon joining Uli's thing, and neither of them can teach. Especially Uli, who's teaching squish the bug. but doesn't even throw like that. hahaha. Simon is the smarts too, but these are "know how to do, not how to teach" guys.
And at least in Scotts case, he can teach.

Another pro to get killer lessons from is Eric Oakley. He's probably a better teacher than golfer, but he's trying his damndest to smack that fish shaped peg into a round hole and have a good season at least once.
Oh, so you've taken his course? You've got it 180° completely wrong. So I would like to hear how you have come to your opinion on his either in-person clinic or his online course.

Stokely's main focus is "I'm not trying to teach you how to throw like Scott Stokely, I'm going to teach you the basics that are common with every pro and then coach you to become the best thrower for your body."

The huge problem with trying to figure out how to improve by watching YouTube videos is that the pros are showing you how they do it. Stokely's teaching validates that everyone and everyone's body is different. He gives you a framework from which to start. Then analyzes every aspect of your throw and gets you to where *you* are most effective and efficient. He also teaches you methods so that you will be injury-free. In all of his career, he's never been injured. This is interesting in light of McBeth's withdrawal from the European Open today due to a shoulder injury. We can add other big names that got injured playing. Stokely knows what he is doing. And keep in mind, he's been playing longer than these guys have been alive.

All your complaints about learning this sport in your post is exactly what Stokely addresses. As one who is a professional teacher in a different discipline, I can attest that his teaching methods are spot on. Playing and teaching are two very different skill sets. How many of you reading this post has taken lessons from someone in something in which the teacher was an expert in doing but couldn't teach worth beans? Stokely is a rare breed in that he can do both, be a player and a teacher.

If you don't think that Stokely is that good of a teacher, then you haven't really applied his principles to it's fullest.

Last edited:
Oh, so you've taken his course? You've got it 180° completely wrong. So I would like to hear how you have come to your opinion on his either in-person clinic or his online course.

Stokely's main focus is "I'm not trying to teach you how to throw like Scott Stokely, I'm going to teach you the basics that are common with every pro and then coach you to become the best thrower for your body."

The huge problem with trying to figure out how to improve by watching YouTube videos is that the pros are showing you how they do it. Stokely's teaching validates that everyone and everyone's body is different. He gives you a framework from which to start. Then analyzes every aspect of your throw and gets you to where *you* are most effective and efficient. He also teaches you methods so that you will be injury-free. In all of his career, he's never been injured. This is interesting in light of McBeth's withdrawal from the European Open today due to a shoulder injury. We can add other big names that got injured playing. Stokely knows what he is doing. And keep in mind, he's been playing longer than these guys have been alive.

All your complaints about learning this sport in your post is exactly what Stokely addresses. As one who is a professional teacher in a different discipline, I can attest that his teaching methods are spot on. Playing and teaching are two very different skill sets. How many of you reading this post has taken lessons from someone in something in which the teacher was an expert in doing but couldn't teach worth beans? Stokely is a rare breed in that he can do both, be a player and a teacher.

If you don't think that Stokely is that good of a teacher, then you haven't really applied his principles to it's fullest.
Earlier this year, I noticed Scott Stokely was having an in person clinic in my area. Like many, I have struggled with timing and weightshift issues for far too long. I thought here was my chance to finally get some hands on instruction from someone who has forgotten more about throwing a disc than most people will ever know. The cost was $300 for an entire day of instruction. There were six participants at the clinic so that works out to about 90 minutes of personal instruction at $200 per hour. I 've been playing this sport since the early 90's so I remember first hand Stokely in his prime. I figured the worst case scenario would be that I spent $300 to spend the day with a disc golf legend.
Well, I was wrong! You should have seen the looks of disappointment from all of the participants at the clinic when we realized Scott Stokely would not be there. Scott has subcontracted out the instructors for his clinics this year. Yes, these are Stokely "certified" instructors but I seriously doubt anyone would willing pay $200 an hour for instruction from someone they had never heard of. The whole thing felt like a bait and switch.
At the end of the clinic, I asked the participants if they thought the day had been worth the money. Not one of the participants felt that anything from the day was going to help improve their game. A few days after the clinic, participants get an email asking for their "five star" review on the Stokely method facebook page. Not a single review has been posted from my group after several months have passed. I believe almost all of the positive reviews are from clinics when Scott Stokely was there as the instuctor. The whole thing left a bitter taste in my mouth. I can't even watch Stokely's videos on YT at this point. I get that the guy missed out on making real money during his playing days. I understand and appreciate that he can make some money now off of his name. I think that's great. I also think Scott should make it perfectly clear to potential clinic participants that he will not be the instructor. I only post this so others can make an informed decision before spending $300. Perhaps Scott will go back to in person instruction when he returns from playing abroad.

Earlier this year, I noticed Scott Stokely was having an in person clinic in my area. Like many, I have struggled with timing and weightshift issues for far too long. I thought here was my chance to finally get some hands on instruction from someone who has forgotten more about throwing a disc than most people will ever know. The cost was $300 for an entire day of instruction. There were six participants at the clinic so that works out to about 90 minutes of personal instruction at $200 per hour. I 've been playing this sport since the early 90's so I remember first hand Stokely in his prime. I figured the worst case scenario would be that I spent $300 to spend the day with a disc golf legend.
Well, I was wrong! You should have seen the looks of disappointment from all of the participants at the clinic when we realized Scott Stokely would not be there. Scott has subcontracted out the instructors for his clinics this year. Yes, these are Stokely "certified" instructors but I seriously doubt anyone would willing pay $200 an hour for instruction from someone they had never heard of. The whole thing felt like a bait and switch.
At the end of the clinic, I asked the participants if they thought the day had been worth the money. Not one of the participants felt that anything from the day was going to help improve their game. A few days after the clinic, participants get an email asking for their "five star" review on the Stokely method facebook page. Not a single review has been posted from my group after several months have passed. I believe almost all of the positive reviews are from clinics when Scott Stokely was there as the instuctor. The whole thing left a bitter taste in my mouth. I can't even watch Stokely's videos on YT at this point. I get that the guy missed out on making real money during his playing days. I understand and appreciate that he can make some money now off of his name. I think that's great. I also think Scott should make it perfectly clear to potential clinic participants that he will not be the instructor. I only post this so others can make an informed decision before spending $300. Perhaps Scott will go back to in person instruction when he returns from playing abroad.
I see. I'm sorry to hear of your experience. So your commentary is about his in-person class by a surrogate, not about his teaching. I'm sure he would like to hear of this as he is all about customer satisfaction. You should leave a review, he would want to know about it. I'm thinking there was a miscommunication of some sort. At any rate, knowing him, he would want to make it right.

As far as "miss[ing] out on making real money," that's not why he does the clinics. If so, he would be doing that full-time instead of playing in the tour. I don't know how he financially does it, but whatever winnings he makes wherever he goes, he donates to a local special needs organization for children (physically challenged, autism, etc.), and the most recent one to the McBeth Foundation to promote disc golf in Africa. So he clearly doesn't need the money nor miss his "winning days." As a matter of fact, when he won the big purse skins match, he was going to donate all of it until a good friend and one of the sponsors pressed him and convinced him to keep part of it. The main reason he does things for money in disc golf is to grow the sport and his love for it.

I hope you reach out to him and hope he reaches out to you.

Last edited:
As a side note, I have found that a longer course, like his online course for six months, is much more effective than trying to get coaching in one day, which I have also done. The day course for me gave me something to work on, of course, but without continuous coaching, you can develop other bad habits or just not do things correctly. That's why I think his online course is so much better and a better bargain. I get individual attention, no limits to how many of my videos get analyzed by the trainers, all aspects of the game, and after the 6 months, I can sign up as an alumni for a measly $5 a month for ongoing training! Yeah, I don't think he's in it for the money. And as a teacher myself, of course I endorse continuous learning as opposed to a one day canon shot.

I see. I'm sorry to hear of your experience. So your commentary is about his in-person class by a surrogate, not about his teaching. I'm sure he would like to hear of this as he is all about customer satisfaction. You should leave a review, he would want to know about it. I'm thinking there was a miscommunication of some sort. At any rate, knowing him, he would want to make it right.

As far as "miss[ing] out on making real money," that's not why he does the clinics. If so, he would be doing that full-time instead of playing in the tour. I don't know how he financially does it, but whatever winnings he makes wherever he goes, he donates to a local special needs organization for children (physically challenged, autism, etc.), and the most recent one to the McBeth Foundation to promote disc golf in Africa. So he clearly doesn't need the money nor miss his "winning days." As a matter of fact, when he won the big purse skins match, he was going to donate all of it until a good friend and one of the sponsors pressed him and convinced him to keep part of it. The main reason he does things for money in disc golf is to grow the sport and his love for it.

I hope you reach out to him and hope he reaches out to you.
At the time of the clinic I attended, I believe Scott was in Asia. I think he was having some dental work done while he was there due to the high cost here in the States. I've been told Scott lived out of a van during his playing days. Not sure if that's true, it's just what I was told by someone who claimed to know him. I suspect Scott has very simple needs outside of disc golf which would explain the lack of need for money I guess. It's great that he gives generously to charity and continues to support the sport he loves. I didn't mean to imply he was scamming people if it came across that way. Perhaps he sees the value in his "Method" as opposed to his personal instruction.

Now, as for the clinic itself. Each participant had their own form issues or weaknesses. Some had pretty good form that just needed some fine tuning while others had serious flaws. It didn't really seem to matter. We were all instructed to have our back to the target and walk backwards as part of the walk up. No explanation as to why we did this. I suspect many ams struggle to get their back turned completely and many have their plant foot open during the brace. Perhaps the backward walk-up is an over correction of those issues. We weren't told of any additional steps or techniques that would follow this exercise. That's really all we did most of the day. We took turns learning this backward walk up with the instructor while the rest practiced the technique in the field.
We spent a short amount of time on forehands. Those with good forehands when they arrived left with good forehands and those who arrived with poor forehands left with poor forehands. I didn't witness any improvement among the group. We spent a good bit of time watching each other since 8 hours of throwing isn't good for the body. In the final hour we moved to putting. Each of us putted for the instructor. We were told whether we were a spin putter or push putter. That was about it. Now, I'm sure no one expected to have their form magically transformed in a single day but other than this backward walk-up there was nothing else given to us for further improvement. So, I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of the clinic was other than learning this backwards walk-up. I can't imagine anyone thinking it was worth $300.

At the time of the clinic I attended, I believe Scott was in Asia. I think he was having some dental work done while he was there due to the high cost here in the States. I've been told Scott lived out of a van during his playing days. Not sure if that's true, it's just what I was told by someone who claimed to know him. I suspect Scott has very simple needs outside of disc golf which would explain the lack of need for money I guess. It's great that he gives generously to charity and continues to support the sport he loves. I didn't mean to imply he was scamming people if it came across that way. Perhaps he sees the value in his "Method" as opposed to his personal instruction.

Now, as for the clinic itself. Each participant had their own form issues or weaknesses. Some had pretty good form that just needed some fine tuning while others had serious flaws. It didn't really seem to matter. We were all instructed to have our back to the target and walk backwards as part of the walk up. No explanation as to why we did this. I suspect many ams struggle to get their back turned completely and many have their plant foot open during the brace. Perhaps the backward walk-up is an over correction of those issues. We weren't told of any additional steps or techniques that would follow this exercise. That's really all we did most of the day. We took turns learning this backward walk up with the instructor while the rest practiced the technique in the field.
We spent a short amount of time on forehands. Those with good forehands when they arrived left with good forehands and those who arrived with poor forehands left with poor forehands. I didn't witness any improvement among the group. We spent a good bit of time watching each other since 8 hours of throwing isn't good for the body. In the final hour we moved to putting. Each of us putted for the instructor. We were told whether we were a spin putter or push putter. That was about it. Now, I'm sure no one expected to have their form magically transformed in a single day but other than this backward walk-up there was nothing else given to us for further improvement. So, I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of the clinic was other than learning this backwards walk-up. I can't imagine anyone thinking it was worth $300.
That's good info. He did live out of his van. And he still does LOL. But current times when he was in the states, it was his Jeep pulling a trailer. Then his trailer got stolen. Replaced it with a truck pulling the Jeep. He camps out or stays in a hotel now. In Europe, someone gave him an RV to use for the whole tour. I think he did hotels when he did Asia earlier in the year.

Sounds like his hired coach needs more coaching on how to teach the method. It doesn't sound like good teaching to me. I agree—you didn't get your money's worth. The online course is so much more individualized and helpful. My in-person class with him was so much more helpful than what you describe. The putting session you describe was totally worthless. Really, you need to leave a review and spell this all out to him, he will want to know.

You should see the site he created then immediately abandoned.
Absolutely fantastic idea and with a name like his promoting it, it would have taken off.

Here is the site and list of instructors. He was giving a 6 month period trial before you had to "pay."
Well, Luckily the site was written poorly, cause I removed my credit card and I'm still an "active" member on there of the 27, which at one point it was down to 21. But its pretty much been all us same people. Scott puts 0 effort into this site. He had an account on the site for about 2 or 3 days.

The traffic you get from no advertising from him is really really sad. It's quite possible I've pulled the most students from this site. Maybe I duno. I think 2 of us have reviews? Only a few of us are verified. You can see who the "Stokley Method" people are. His 6 month online course for however many thousand dollars.
haha, no thanks. I don't need stokley to "certify" me to teach successfully.

My last lead on the site after it being up for almost a year now was #29. That's for the entire site. Not for me. 29 people. Because Scott starts stuff and if its not gonna make him money, he abandons it.

That's good info. He did live out of his van. And he still does LOL. But current times when he was in the states, it was his Jeep pulling a trailer. Then his trailer got stolen. Replaced it with a truck pulling the Jeep. He camps out or stays in a hotel now. In Europe, someone gave him an RV to use for the whole tour. I think he did hotels when he did Asia earlier in the year.

Sounds like his hired coach needs more coaching on how to teach the method. It doesn't sound like good teaching to me. I agree—you didn't get your money's worth. The online course is so much more individualized and helpful. My in-person class with him was so much more helpful than what you describe. The putting session you describe was totally worthless. Really, you need to leave a review and spell this all out to him, he will want to know.
As I noted, his "method certification" is online over a few months. And anyone can take the course.

Fanboi a little harder there homestyle.

Scott lived here for... 6 or so months just recently. I'm well aware of how Scott teaches. I've spoke to Scott personally many times.

While you're not wrong about youtubes video's and people self teaching.
A vast majority of pro's who are teaching have absolutely NO idea how to teach whatsoever.
Uli is ... omg its bad. And now he's got simon signed on to his power disc golf academy or whatever because it will bring name recognition.

Scott actually does know how to teach disc golf. But you will learn scotts way to play disc golf.

And if you're going to use an example like mcbeth on injuries... uhh. When has mcbeth ever been out for injury previously? I cannot think of a time. And sometimes if shit aint working right, you drop out to NOT hurt yourself. Dude might have slept poorly on his shoulder.

It's quite obvious you're offended and not comprehending much of what I wrote that you replied to. Because I started out the whole thing with "scott is a good teacher"
And you ended your tirade with trying to put words in my mouth about scott not being a good teacher.

I teach multiple trades as well as disc golf. I'm quite aware of "good and bad" teachers. But your defense is very bad here. It's cool for you to fanboi on stokley and do the stokley thing.
But there is more people out there than stokley who are teaching more successfully. If stokley didn't make a name for himself years ago being such a far thrower, nobody would have an idea who he is anymore.

Fanboi a little harder there homestyle.

Scott lived here for... 6 or so months just recently. I'm well aware of how Scott teaches. I've spoke to Scott personally many times.

While you're not wrong about youtubes video's and people self teaching.
A vast majority of pro's who are teaching have absolutely NO idea how to teach whatsoever.
Uli is ... omg its bad. And now he's got simon signed on to his power disc golf academy or whatever because it will bring name recognition.

Scott actually does know how to teach disc golf. But you will learn scotts way to play disc golf.

And if you're going to use an example like mcbeth on injuries... uhh. When has mcbeth ever been out for injury previously? I cannot think of a time. And sometimes if shit aint working right, you drop out to NOT hurt yourself. Dude might have slept poorly on his shoulder.

It's quite obvious you're offended and not comprehending much of what I wrote that you replied to. Because I started out the whole thing with "scott is a good teacher"
And you ended your tirade with trying to put words in my mouth about scott not being a good teacher.

I teach multiple trades as well as disc golf. I'm quite aware of "good and bad" teachers. But your defense is very bad here. It's cool for you to fanboi on stokley and do the stokley thing.
But there is more people out there than stokley who are teaching more successfully. If stokley didn't make a name for himself years ago being such a far thrower, nobody would have an idea who he is anymore.
Well, this convo has deteriorated. It's quite obvious you have an ax to grind, and for valid reasons. You just want to rant about Scott's failings. So be it. Like you or I are perfect. In reference to his "failed" teacher's website, like no businessman has ever had a failing. You now want to argue with me on some points. I said you had valid reasons and that you didn't get your money's worth. Not sure why you are now ranting against me and now trying to denigrate me by calling me a "fanboi." I have never once tried to offend you and I tried to see your POV and acknowledged it, but now you want to get personal. Yeah, I'm a fan of Scott Stokely. I think he's a great ambassador for the sport and a good human being. You don't. We differ. You want to be negative. So I'll just say have a good one, hope you find great enjoyment in the sport.

Well, this convo has deteriorated. It's quite obvious you have an ax to grind, and for valid reasons. You just want to rant about Scott's failings. So be it. Like you or I are perfect. In reference to his "failed" teacher's website, like no businessman has ever had a failing. You now want to argue with me on some points. I said you had valid reasons and that you didn't get your money's worth. Not sure why you are now ranting against me and now trying to denigrate me by calling me a "fanboi." I have never once tried to offend you and I tried to see your POV and acknowledged it, but now you want to get personal. Yeah, I'm a fan of Scott Stokely. I think he's a great ambassador for the sport and a good human being. You don't. We differ. You want to be negative. So I'll just say have a good one, hope you find great enjoyment in the sport.
Is your other thing you teach on how to just make things up when talking to other people and not comprehend the things others are saying?

Cause, you're not a good teacher at it.

If you're going to come at someone hard about something, be more respectful, else they are probably going to treat you the same in turn.
Which is why I called you a fanboi, cause you came up in here with a hardon for scott, while there are multiple coaches in here with far more credibility than scott.

your comprehension is clearly lacking as while the truth hurts. Scott created a site, and then proceded to abandon it right away. When it could be a good site.
But you want to focus on the negative part of that. I applauded scott for creating the site. But you have no comprehension of talking so you are going to continue to keep trying to put words in my mouth here, it's not good.

Truth is a powerful thing. And I've said a TON of great things about Scott in this thread since you came in here blazing his name like its tattooed on your dick. But I've also been truthful about his teaching method and him. But you're ignorance and lack of comprehension doesn't allow you to see those things, so you continually just make stuff up about what I said focusing on random negative things then creating a story to try and support yourself, its pathetic dude.

I've made Scott a bunch of money sending him students while he was here. He does teach very well. But it's understanding you're learning the stokley method. Which apparently you're not well rounded enough to understand that lots of us coach differently. And scott has a very linear teaching method. He flat out says it himself.

But whatever, What do I know. Been teaching golf for years and now disc golf.
I'm an idiot. Dont mind me.