• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introducing SD, Salient Discs

Just playing devil's advocate here...

I had no idea what ISO was until I googled it today after reading this thread. It instantly reminded me of my line of work, in health care. There are mountains of accreditations, certificates, continuing education curricula, state regulations...etc...that are in place so the staff, and the facility can perform at the highest level possible. Guess what. The nurse taking care of you with all those fancy letters after the name on her badge can (and does) still kill you with the wrong medication all the time.

Just because something, or someone is certified doesn't guarantee the highest quality product, or service.

Having said that...it is pretty cool that SD has gone through the trouble of the certification process. It shows they mean business, and quality is a top priority.

yeah there is a lot of truth to this-- in real estate we call it alphabet name soup with so many different designations now people can have with minimal secondary education making them appear more qualified or superior than which they really are... sure sound fancy though!! :p

yeah there is a lot of truth to this-- in real estate we call it alphabet name soup with so many different designations now people can have with minimal secondary education making them appear more qualified or superior than which they really are... sure sound fancy though!! :p

But there is a difference between appearing to have the qualifications and actually gathering the staff with the qualifications for the job. Chris has done the latter and i have a feeling it is going to show in these discs

So let me get this straight:

A company with an actual novel idea comes on the scene and we're nitpicking their GRAMMER??? Seriously people? I know we're all a little burned out after the whole Prodigy debacle of over-promising and under-delivering, but these guys actually seem to have an interesting concept. Instead of taking a wait and see attitude people around here want to jump on tiny flaws like spelling and grammar. :thmbdown:

Frankly I'd rather deal with a company that actually seems to have a plan to do something different in our sport, despite their less than perfect grammar as opposed to a group of people who talk up how revolutionary their products will be and then deliver a handful of discs that closely mimic products by other companies, regardless of how perfect their grammar and spelling may be.

Let's just wait for June and see how things go for SD.

Grammar

But there is a difference between appearing to have the qualifications and actually gathering the staff with the qualifications for the job. Chris has done the latter and i have a feeling it is going to show in these discs

I always am looking forward to trying out new companies who produce quality products. Lets hope one of these big diameter monsters could fit my ever revolving max D driver spot.

Prometheis was meant to spelled the way it is as not to confuse with the Ridley Scott movie.

Prometheus being an ancient god and your venture being in plastic discs rather than chest exploding aliens should have you in the clear. Spell it the traditional way please :) If you think the bitching about grammar on a test site was loud, wait until a disc comes out w/what a name that many people will assume was a typo.

SD's true believers... Prometheists

A friend of mine ran a Mage RPG game once where he had a group of people who were trying to help the rest of humanity evolve. They were called Prometheans. I always loved that group name and think it rolls off the tongue better :)

Right there with ya Steeze, excited to see the discs but stoked to see a pair of true disc golf shoes

I've seen pix of the ones Keen did and I had to wonder what made them disc golf specific. Seemed the same as any other pair of Keen shoes. I've been enjoying my Vibram Bikilas for disc golf recently and haven't had any problem w/grinding off the soles, but maybe I don't twist around as much as I should. If I start damaging them I'll go back to my Chuck Taylor's for disc golf.

The shoes will certainly be interesting tho.

Surprised no one has said it yet, but the Cryo looked like Champion plastic. :) I don't care about that, just kind of funny.

Prometheans! Is a very catchy name....good job.

It is insanely hard to get a pair of shoes and disc release going at the same time but hopefully the time we put into it will show in the final product. (Don't worry before we go live and official we will make sure all is perfect).

We will also not be releasing a clone of a destroyer, boss, nuke or force. I will now leave you all to imagine....

Also Cryo is not champion like at all, we want people to feel the plastic blends and say "wow that's pretty sweet!!"

Prometheans! Is a very catchy name....good job.

Also Cryo is not champion like at all, we want people to feel the plastic blends and say "wow that's pretty sweet!!"

Like I said, the name was from a friend of mine, but it seemed fitting. I believe you that Cryo isn't like Champ plastic, but just looking at the picture on the net, mostly translucent flightplate and deep rim inside, it certainly brings it to mind. I'll have to order online to try any of the discs anyway b/c there are zero disc golf stores in Louisville these days. The 2 PIAS stores carry Innova and a few Discraft and that's it.

Maybe I'll have to swing up to Cincy and hit one of their stores once it's released so I can hold some first. Unless ya need a tester in Kentucky. I take my 7 1/2 yo out w/me for rounds, so she would help beat the disc up too :)

I'm really interested in this wide driver idea, surprised no one's tried it yet.
There have been a few. Maybe not much bigger diameter, but it has been done. Avenger SS and Reaper come to mind as far as more "modern" discs go. I know there were many back in the 90's, I.e. Viper, Barracuda, Marauder, etc.

Haha I like the guesses so far, all very amusing.

Not to burst any bubbles but our first disc will not be anything like a destroyer, force, etc. That route has been played out and done far to often, it's also NOT in CE plastic lol haha.

We have a much better blend of resins IMO than CE ever was, and we also have the first polymer that reacts to pressure and hand perspiration. A couple of years and a little engineering go a long way :)

Last edited:
Haha I like the guesses so far, all very amusing.

Not to burst any bubbles but our first disc will not be anything like a destroyer, force, etc. That route has been played out and done far to often, it's also NOT in CE plastic lol haha.

We have a much better blend of resins IMO than CE ever was, and we also have the first polymer that reacts to pressure and hand perspiration. A couple of years and a little engineering go a long way :)

Will all of the discs be huge? I could see huge drivers and mids, but I'm not sure I'd like a giant putter...

None of the discs are what I would consider huge we still have to stay within technical standards set by the PDGA. As for future releases all discs will be released to be the best in their respective slot (midrange, putter, etc.) compared to anything else on the market. That will be because of an array of variables: our proprietary polymer, advanced engineering and consistency measures.

None of the discs are what I would consider huge we still have to stay within technical standards set by the PDGA. As for future releases all discs will be released to be the best in their respective slot (midrange, putter, etc.) compared to anything else on the market. That will be because of an array of variables: our proprietary polymer, advanced engineering and consistency measures.

Just get back to honeymooning and leave us on edge some more...

Latest posts