• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Ion Putter

I'm loving my Ion so far. It is amazing for short drives/ approaches with its crazy glide. If you haven't thrown an Ion, one thing that is awesome to see is how well it grabs the chains. Once the disc hits the chains, the outside edge acts almost like glue, stopping the disc.

My Ion:
ny5l75.jpg

Could I see side profile pic? I'm interested in what this discs profile looks like.

The OP of the DGR thread has a bunch of great pictures of the Ion, including a cross section profile pic.

I believe they're focusing on getting a firmer plastic for the Ion before anything else. Hopefully in the next couple weeks.

I have 2 Ions...the one I throw looks exactly like Waddly Hobbins' and I love this F'ing disc. I bought 3 on a total whim. I thought to myself "I don't know if this company will sink or swim...maybe they'll be cool, maybe they'll be collectible some day" I bought one for me, one for my dad, and one to hang on the wall.

The Ion will hold a hyzer line so perfectly it's hard to think of it as a putter some times. I would call this disc the BEST difference between a Challenger and a Elite X BuzZz. It's a great disc. I've made more REALLY LONG putts with this disc than anything else...and I've only had it out for 4 rounds. Yeah. It's. That. Good.

To be honest...I don't want to tell you guys about how good it is...because I want to keep them to myself...but I want these guys to keep making solid discs so I think they need the publicity.

\/\/

(shakes fist @ mashnut and Ion)

I've been looking for a new putter, and now i have to buy this disc!
I trespassed on dgr and their reviews seem to portray it to be the exact type of putter i am looking for.

a9tyxk.jpg

From what i gather...
the quote that sold me
"it's between an aviar and a buzzz... "
almost all reviewers talk about how it improved their distance putting game more than it improved their short game.
"slower mako" seems about right.

3 question to those that own one
1) What weight do you recommend in relation to other putters?
2) Fundamentally, is this disc a putter or a super short approach disc that works well as a putter?
3) How does it react when it hits the ground? (My rhyno stops like glue, my roc has a skip, etc..)

darn, $25 on a new putter... let's hope it sticks around for a while and is exactly what i hope it is.

Last edited:
So far, I really like my Ion. One thing that surprised me when I got it was that the inner plastic was gummier than I thought it would be. I guess looking at the pictures, I was assuming a Z type plastic, but it's more like a Z/flx blend. Also, I was expecting a softer outer rim, but with the old fingernail test, it's hard to differentiate between the hardness of the too plastics. Also, I have seen no nicks or damage that I was expecting on the outer rim.

That being said, it does seem to work very well at grabbing the chains and I could see this becoming my primary putter. It was also stable enough for me to use for approaches on a moderately windy day. I likey. :thmbup:

i am really liking my ion too...except the course i played yesterday was very wet...and the top of the disc was quite slick...the rim was tacky.

3 question to those that own one
1) What weight do you recommend in relation to other putters?
2) Fundamentally, is this disc a putter or a super short approach disc that works well as a putter?
3) How does it react when it hits the ground? (My rhyno stops like glue, my roc has a skip, etc..)

darn, $25 on a new putter... let's hope it sticks around for a while and is exactly what i hope it is.

1) I would only get it in 170g+, I've heard the first run 166g ones were flippy.
2) I think this is a putter that excels as a driving/ approaching putter and it can grab chains like crazy. Whether you use it as your main putter will rely on whether you like the feel of the "proton" plastic in the center.
3) It doesn't really skip, it may roll a bit or skid, but it doesn't have a big skip like say a zone.

$25?? are you buying two? I hope that is the case, because they are only $14 at Gotta Go Gotta Throw.

1) I would only get it in 170g+, I've heard the first run 166g ones were flippy.
2) I think this is a putter that excels as a driving/ approaching putter and it can grab chains like crazy. Whether you use it as your main putter will rely on whether you like the feel of the "proton" plastic in the center.
3) It doesn't really skip, it may roll a bit or skid, but it doesn't have a big skip like say a zone.

$25?? are you buying two? I hope that is the case, because they are only $14 at Gotta Go Gotta Throw.

yer right...
in the next week when i buy one, i will get it off Ebay... there is a seller called iondiscs (out of michigan) that i hope is the manufacturer... as a result, for a dollar or two more, i'd rather put money in his hands.
http://myworld.ebay.com/iondiscs/

btw - thanks for answering my questions.... i think i will get a 172/173 disc .... (a touch lighter than my 175 Aviar.,. and a touch lighter than my rhyno)

You should just buy the disc from a retailer so that retailer will see the disc sells well and buy more from the manufacturer.

I am sorry KC Avair, I know I have strayed before. I said after the Voodoo that I was done cheating on you. I really was, but there is a new latest and greatest, I avoided the temptation on the Vibram, But this one has a good gimmick, Don't worry, you will always have a place in my bag, the Ion, well, we will have to see!

Just ordered one from DGC for $13.99 less my discount and free shipping. This also helps DGC decide to support DGCR, since I thank them for that in the comments section. Sounds like it will be interesting to try.

I am sorry KC Avair, I know I have strayed before. I said after the Voodoo that I was done cheating on you. I really was, but there is a new latest and greatest, I avoided the temptation on the Vibram, But this one has a good gimmick, Don't worry, you will always have a place in my bag, the Ion, well, we will have to see!

If you play tight, wooded courses, you can kiss your KC Aviar goodbye, the Ion is the master of throw and pray holes. I was playing in Ohio with 2 guys catching up to me on the score card, we got to some serious pinball holes and I whipped out the Ion and watched it weave down the fairway like Luke flying along the Deathstar. Left those guys in the dust.

I haven't tried driving the ion yet but for putting I like it alot. Sounds like I'll need to try throwing it off the tee.

I played with a guy who bought like 5 Ions and he loves them. They have a really nice feel to them but I am afraid that are not overstable enough for my liking. I typically use my Zone as my main putter and love the low profile, super overstable, most predictable putter I have ever thrown nature of it.

Latest posts