• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is base plastic necessary?

Well I'm obviously agreeing with the choir here. I love DX. Longest drives I've ever had were with DX drivers. Their ChampcChamp counterparts hate me. And the DX Teebird is the best fairway I own.

I can't say much that hasn't already been said. All I know is that a good percentage of disc golfers would be lost without base plastic. So, it's necessary, if only so they can keep their favorites. Innova would keep DX just for Rocs, Teebirds, and Aviars if they had to.

My current bag has only 1 base plastic disc, so I personally could go without it.

The one thing that I will always appreciate with base plastic is the ability to try a classic disc, like a Roc or a Buzzz, for the price of a modest meal.

Getting new people interested is also easier when you say $7.99 (the price of a movie ticket), as opposed to $18.99.

Base plastic is necessary for many people.

That being said, I just ignore plastic and throw rubber instead.

All ive done since starting DGing is hit trees, so my early DX discs didn't give me that seasoning period...they all went from disc to taco in about 2 holes. Coming to the game recently, it's been better for me to find what works and buy durable.

That being said, cost and preference means that "baseline" is and should remain necessary.

Maybe buying over-stable is the way to go with base; at least it will beat into something that is still usable.

So many of my first disc purchases were used, under-stable DX discs that would turn over if a baby threw 'em.

Drone, Rhyno, and my new love, the Banshee, fit the bill.

Maybe buying over-stable is the way to go with base; at least it will beat into something that is still usable.

So many of my first disc purchases were used, under-stable DX discs that would turn over if a baby threw 'em.

I agree, beat to snot overstable base plastic is pretty darn awesome.

I could also not imagine putting with anything besides base plastic.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

If you throw slower discs, anything speed 7 and below, dx takes forever to break in. Putters, mids and slow fairway drivers are fantastic in dx, even neutral discs take a very long time to get to the point where they're flippy.

Agreed with the overstable, but are you sure it was the discs that would turn over and not the oat? :p

Last edited:
If you throw slower discs, anything speed 7 and below, dx takes forever to break in. Putters, mids and slow fairway drivers are fantastic in dx, even neutral discs take a very long time to get to the point where they're flippy.

Good point. My oldest discs are ancient DX Sharks, and they still got game.

Agreed with the overstable, but are you sure it was the discs that would turn over and not the oat? :p

Also good point. Although one was a 145 Leo, and in perfectly calm conditions, I could shoot it straight as an arrow. Any other time, not so much. As i get better, i blame myself slightly less :)

Innova's fairways in DX are a thing of beauty. The DX Teebird may very well be one of the finest flying discs on earth, and the Eagle and Gazelle are pretty sweet too. Everyone I know carries DX Rancho Rocs and DX Aviar P&A's are pretty much the standard issue putter. I carry my share of premium plastic but I really feel that guys that don't throw baseline for whatever reason are seriously missing out.

I don't carry much, but I carry an old beat up DX stringray. I hope to never use it, since it's a get-out-of-trouble disc. But when you must throw a backhand that absolutely positively must turn over and hold its turn, no matter how high you throw it, it's hard to top it.

I carry 2 DX Teebirds. Once these break in they are one awesome piece of plastic. Also they are cheap to replace. I like to hyzer flip and it takes forever to beat in champ, star, etc for this shot.

In short, yes, its necessary.

Base plastic discs are awesome depending on the mold.

For instance, there is no better putter plastic then Zero. Stuff is amazing. If they could mold that tasty plastic into Pains, I would jump on board and throw many of them.

The only thing I have never liked in base plastics are high speeds and super overstable discs. If I buy a super overstable disc, I want it to stay that way as long as humanly possible.

Haha, this seems to be my buddy's philosophy too. He has gl and opto versions of everything in his bag, including the bolt and halo, but he can't throw his pures without noob hyzering or turning and burning.
Sounds like he needs to follow your philosophy and disc down for a while!

(edit time expired! doh!)

The only base plastic I carry now is putting putters. I think it was great for getting me into the game. Now, though, I'd rather just roll with Z Hornet/Buzzz/Comet or Opto/GL Pain/Core/Fuse, which I can probably throw the next few years and have them remain relatively true to their original flight characteristics.

Plus, they are purty. If I'm going to play the sport somewhat seriously, I'd prefer that the equipment I use look like somewhat serious sports equipment, not chewed up dog frisbees.