• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Is BEEF in a lineup really necessary?

I carry beef in my bag that covers all the speed drivers I like to use.

This is my beef.

Destroyer
XXX
Trident
Hornet
Zone

We always have to throw around trees, water, and various other objects. An OS disc can help you get out of some sticky situations. I say necessary.

I had a Trident in my bag for a long time, but I only used it maybe once a week. I can accomplish most of those shots with my M1 now, and anything longer I use a Firechicken. I say beef is a good thing to have in your bag, but some golfers, like myself, don't really need something really overstable. I undersatnd my Firebird is beefy, but its a Star and 171. For most of the courses I play super beef really isn't that necessary.

I usually carry 1 that I use mostly for skip shots and spike hyzers. Every now and then I'll run up against a headwind where I think it might be useful but that's extremely rare. The disc I use for it is a beefy Z force so not even one of the true extremely OS discs.

I'm like you though, I throw backhand primarily and am very comfortable adjusting the hyzer angle to get my discs to fly how I like. Some people try and throw every shot flat so they need extra discs.

I like a little beef. Firebird for big hyzers and wind. My champ Ape though...I'm starting to fall in love with it. It's strictly a utility disc. Huge skips and lately I've been throwing some great forehand rollers to get out of trouble. I like a specialty disc for these so I'm not wearing out my drivers.

For me its situational, I carry a villain and jokeri for certain shots / windy days. Both discs don't get much use but still gives the confidence knowing they are there if I need them.

I had a Trident in my bag for a long time, but I only used it maybe once a week. I can accomplish most of those shots with my M1 now, and anything longer I use a Firechicken. I say beef is a good thing to have in your bag, but some golfers, like myself, don't really need something really overstable. I undersatnd my Firebird is beefy, but its a Star and 171. For most of the courses I play super beef really isn't that necessary.

The trident is one of my favorite discs. Whenever I'm thinking, "what the hell should I throw?" I always grab the trident and usually never regret it.

As a general rule, I think so, but... you may not need to use one any given round or on a particular course. Let me add that the more versatile and well-rounded your personal skill set is, the fewer discs you may need to carry. You can adjust shots to compensate for not having certain discs, but sometimes there's just no substitute for having a disc that's truly OS (or US).

I think a good bag must have a decent range of stabilities and speeds to help you adapt to whatever situation you may find yourself in, especially when playing more challenging courses. This is particularly true if you don't want to have to think about how to tweak/tailor your bag from one course the next.

Last edited:
As a general rule, I think so, but... you may not need to use one any given round or on a particular course. Let me add that the more versatile and well-rounded your personal skill set is, the fewer discs you may need to carry. You can adjust shots to compensate for not having certain discs, but sometimes there's just no substitute for having a disc that's truly OS (or US).

This! A couple of months ago I added some BEEF (albeit, lean and tween...) in the form of a Suspect. A pretty radical departure considering my tendency towards understable discs that work well for my noodle arm!

I'm finding the Suspect to be a unexpectedly cool addition. I can flick, roll, hyzer, thumber, tomahawk and crazy-wind putt with it. It only comes out a few times a round but always treats me right; can't even remember what I did without it...

Latest posts