• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Is the Groove an Upgrade from a Beast for an Am?

I bought them because of the same reason, and I had a few under 170. I bought one marked as 163, and it turned out to be 173 when I weighed it at home. They're out there. All of them but the first runs (the ones I threw) were all really inconsistent fliers at those weights too.

I have to put my 2 pence in here as well. It's been said and is true.... if you're throwing that beast and a Nuke SS the same distance, then they're not getting up to speed. That's not a put down or anything, it's just truth. I'm in roughly the same camp. I wish somebody would've beat the "faster does not equal more distance" thing into me before I spent $100 on warp speed discs that I can't throw any farther than a teebird. Get a lighter 'bird or a river and I almost guarantee you'll get the same distance, but w/ more control and predictability.

If you just gotta go faster, a pro wraith is a sweet disc. Just try to get the lightest one you can find. That'll make it easier to get up to speed.

When I take a new person out to play, I bring some faster plastic and a couple Pro Leopards, Flying Squirrels, and neutral putters for my guest and myself. During the round, I'll mention speed and the "faster is better" theory. After the round, when they're comfortable(ish) throwing discs, I let them throw my S-PD. Since I learn by doing, I figure the best way to show people that you don't step into a Ferrari when you get your learner's permit is to let them crash and burn.

Everybody but one person so far has gone out and bought the same discs they threw during the round or similar. The one exception struggled for a couple rounds before I gave him the Leopard again to throw. He spent the whole round in the fairway, and I wound up letting him take the Leopard home with him. Glad I bought two of them!

Any plastic / weight recommendations for that Teebird everyone is pushing?

I normally don't favor Star but I hear Star breaks in well with time and have held some beat up Star plastic that felt quite right.

- Also TL over reg Teebird? I play a lot of wooded fairways that I'm currently driving my Roc + on. Maybe 1 less Fade for accuracy?

Last edited:
I have a 170 champ teebird, Love that disc, does well in a headwind. Really a great disc. I don't think you can go wrong with a teebird no matter what plastic you buy it in.

Teebirds are available in nearly every plastic/weight combo you could think of. My fav was a 165 Star that I lost a few months back and am finally coming to grips with the fact that I'll never see it again. It was beat just perfect, but took quite a while to get there. Champ will take forever to get beat, but you'll have a long time to learn the characteristics of the disc, which is to say 'fall in love.'

TL's are pretty good, IMO, w/ less turn and less fade and they come w/ the + rims, if you like that. Some people do, a lotta people don't. I say accept no substitute, get the bird. 165g Star is the hit, for me, and i'm in the same distance boat as you. Max weight is too heavy for my arm speed and too light can get flippy. 165-170 is just right.

i would suggest a valkyrie. its not a speed upgrade but it can handle any line you put on it. great disc in my opinion. especially if youre only throwing 300'

and i had a groove. i used it to get other discs out of trees. it got stuck in a tree and i left it. now someone has a groove. i didnt even put my name on it. not that anyone would return it anyway

Get a premium plastic leopard and learn how to control it. It's a very neutral disc and when thrown right you will find, at your level, you can throw it just as far as the warp speed discs. What great marketing it was when innova came out with all these high speed understable discs for all the suckers that want to throw long. I'm not saying I'm the beat by any means but often you will see me roll a destroyer and throw a leopard for long(long and controled that is). Learn control and accuracy before distance then build them both together. Oh and have fun too.

Teebirds, Leopards, Valks, Rivers, XSs...all good discs for your current level. I have found that a Lat 64 Vision (preferably Gold Line, but Opto is still fairly understable) works well for learning during this period. The Vision goes long and far and straight for low-power throws. However, once your arm builds up, and it likely will, you will begin to flip the Vision. Then you know you can move up slightly. Just my .02 on the matter.

If you can't leave the fast stuff alone, a Blizzard Katana might work for you, but you would need a lot of room for the S-Curve.

And, yes, Grooves suck...though I am fine with the Monarch for some reason.

Get a premium plastic leopard and learn how to control it. It's a very neutral disc and when thrown right you will find, at your level, you can throw it just as far as the warp speed discs. What great marketing it was when innova came out with all these high speed understable discs for all the suckers that want to throw long. I'm not saying I'm the beat by any means but often you will see me roll a destroyer and throw a leopard for long(long and controled that is). Learn control and accuracy before distance then build them both together. Oh and have fun too.

I agree with this 110%. The leopard is in my opinion one of the best discs available. A couple of years ago i took the advice of the people on here and disced down. Picked up a leopard and used the crap out it. It taught me control and really cleaned up my form. i now carry between 4 and 5 of em in my bag. Once i started hitting around 380 with it I picked up a destroyer. Now i can put the leopard out to over 400 and the destroyer around 450 on a good throw. I honestly cannot say enough good things about the leopard.
It is the disc that i recommend to everyone i meet that truly wants to better their game. oh and like bmast said... dont forget to have
fun!

I would tend to agree with bmast, but I would go for a Pro instead. You get more glide and less stability.

I used to throw Beasts but prefer to use Valks and Eagles Xs. Also, try hyzer flipping RRs or Visions. If you want something faster, get an Archon.

i have a old beat in groove in my bag from when i first started playing and still throw it for long hyzer shots with a lot of skip. Did the new faster plastic as they came out and had no luck. Under the advice of Boo Ter and others i throw with, i have gone back to slower plastic and am now throwing Star Beasts and Champ Orcs, even beat-in champ destroyers. Most stable is a AJ Star Destroyer. May dabble with a champ xcal again. :)

i am currently enjoying the eagle L in my bag. teebirds and tl's are sweet as well

Latest posts