• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this guy a falling-putter?

Falling putts?

• Total voters
no. i want him to demonstrate full balance before he proceeds past the mark if he doesnt want to get called on it.:\

I'm not going to read all of this, however I will repost this a few times because it seemed to be missed within the first 3 pages.

you are supposed to put you other foot down behind the marker and then move forward

you are supposed to put you other foot down behind the marker and then move forward

It's a falling putt.

I'm not going to read all of this, however I will repost this a few times because it seemed to be missed within the first 3 pages.
It's a falling putt.

No matter how many times you post it, it's still not correct. Other than the special USDGC rule used at a single event, there's absolutely nothing in the rules that requires both feet to be down to demonstrate balance. It's about not letting your throwing motion cause a follow through beyond your lie, not about what exactly you do with your foot/feet.

Here's a little bit more for you non-believers

Victor, there's no rule change. Feldberg was just illustrating how the rule should be followed.

As Feldberg points out, "jump putts" have never been allowed but "putt jumps" have been, meaning that the player must release the disc before jumping or stepping forward for lies beyond 10m. Inside 10m you have to place your non-plant foot on the ground with proper balance before moving forward after releasing the putt if it wasn't already on the ground (like a straddle putt). Where and when your disc has landed during a putt has no bearing on making legal movements, unlike some who think you can't move forward until the disc stops moving.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11704&highlight=putt+jump&page=2

Hmm, that conflicts with what Chuck himself has said on the PDGA board and here in this thread. Perhaps he was speaking about the specific case of that USDGC.

Hmm, that conflicts with what Chuck himself has said on the PDGA board and here in this thread. Perhaps he was speaking about the specific case of that USDGC.

I wish the videos weren't moved to private so we could watch Feldberg go over it. He talks about people that bend down and pick up their mini and keep walking without putting that other foot down, then proceeds to say you HAVE to put down that other foot to show the balance. Otherwise they can just pick up their mini really quickly and say they had balance.

Chuck Kennedy (cgkdisc) is the man behind the curtain on the whole ratings/ssa system, and is a consultant for the PDGA.

that post seems damn clear that dude is in violation.

who is chuck btw?

What mashnut said and:

As a PDGA Marshal, I would not call any of these examples as falling putts except at the USDGC. At the USDGC, they required players to touch their non-stance foot to the ground behind the marker after releasing the putt before moving forward to more clearly demonstrate balance. So those putts would be foot faults there.

If you consider normal walking being in control or balanced, then those putts would be showing balance. The fact he hesitated one beat before stepping forward is considered a nod toward showing control sufficient to demonstrate balance. Personally, I would prefer the rule have a more clear definition which might include the more strict interpretation used at the USDGC where the player has to at least tap their non-stance foot behind the marker before moving forward.

BTW, one of the misconceptions on putting is that you just have to hold balance until the disc stops. What the disc is doing has no bearing on whether you have demonstrated balance. Sometimes you'll see players straining hard not to fall over until the disc stops and then stagger or fall forward thinking they've demonstrated balance long enough since the disc has stopped. Nope.

Also, take this post for example. The underlined is completely opinion. If the other three people on his card (if he did that in tourney) were to call him on that, he would be stroked. Majority would rule, and even if he called over the TD, I don't think the TD would rule against the majority. He can fight all he wants but the walking is an opinion, at no point in that post did Chuck say for definite that it is a legal putt. Again "IF YOU CONSIDER normal walking being in control". It's a very lame way to cover a rule and that's why Feldberg went over it, and why it's used like that in usdgc.

see i dont see how enforcement is any different in that competition than how the rules are written and how they should be followed and enforced in any competitive play. it seems like uniform rules and not uniform enforcement.

If I'm remembering right you're talking about the putting clinic Feldberg put on. In that he was talking about the potentialfuture crack down on falling putts. I don't know if that enforcement has or will start, but everything he said was based on what you should do to avoid being called on a falling putt. It had nothing to do with the rules in the sense that what he said was not the rules, he was teaching a way to avoid being called on it.

If I'm remembering right you're talking about the putting clinic Feldberg put on. In that he was talking about the potentialfuture crack down on falling putts. I don't know if that enforcement has or will start, but everything he said was based on what you should do to avoid being called on a falling putt. It had nothing to do with the rules in the sense that what he said was not the rules, he was teaching a way to avoid being called on it.

I don't remember what he said in the video but the OP says:

Did anybody catch that the rule is going to be played different this year? Feldberg said that it would in this video, speaking as a board member of the PDGA. Take a look:

also, everything Chuck is saying is in the present tense, not the future tense.

Gonna fix my grammatical error

I wish the videos weren't moved to private so we could watch Feldberg go over it. He talks about people that bend down and pick up their mini and keep walking without setting that other foot down, then proceeds to say you HAVE to put down that other foot to show the balance. Otherwise they can just pick up their mini really quickly and say they had balance.

Last edited:
It's not a falling putt.

*puts fingers in ears*

La la la la la, I can't hear you.

My Feldberg comments were about the USDGC requiring the non-plant foot to be placed on the ground before moving forward. My concern again is that it's possible for a player to be balanced on one foot and not necessarily balanced on two.