• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this poison ivy

Like I said, the rash and itching I have would be described as very mild if this is indeed poision whatever. On a side note, I am 33 and have never had poison whatever and considering the time I've spent outside in the woods, maybe I'm just not that allergic to it. I would think that I must have come in contact with it over the years.
That's what I thought, about myself... but like someone else said, you don't build up immunity to urushiol with exposure; you actually become MORE sensitive. I just got my first confirmed poison-oak rash a couple of months ago, at age 36. It was only a little on one knuckle and one knee, but man, it was annoying for almost two weeks. And I should mention that it didn't even START itching until several days after the exposure.

Last edited:
I'll have to keep that in mind. I know I've been around the stuff plenty but how much I've actually exposed my skin to is impossible to say. But I can say I've never had any kind of reaction. Life gave me eczema so I figure the balance was resistance to poison ivy :)

Little story

My first encounter with ..... The P. I.

I was 10 yrs old, some D*** threw a grape vine in a blazing fire, well this vine had poison ivy on it which we knew. So when he threw it in I reached in and pulled it as quick as i could. So since it hit fire it created smoke from it . I took a direct blast of that smoke. Well two days later i woke up in the morning covered in red bumps. And by evening i was already patched up all over the body. And i mean "ALL OVER" . That night i woke up with my eyes swollen shut, and barely able to breathe. I spent about 15 hours in the hospital on high dose of meds . It took about 2 days for most of the swelling to go down and about a month for it all to go away. That was just the worst damn time of my life . The frightening , painful , itching and the fight to try and not scratch was horrible . Ever since its just been an ankle biter . doesn't really get bad and stays on my legs and the itch doesn't bother me (lol) .

So my conclusion is P.I. ...... SUCKS !!!

It does look like that could be poison ivy... it is sometimes hard to tell when it's in its early growth stage.... When it becomes more mature the two "side" leaves will (most of the time) have one lobe each.... the side leaves will look like a mitten.

Just as a side note: Don't ever try a controlled burn to eradicate the poison ivy.... if inhaled, the smoke can get in your lungs and kill you.

I know there is some product (costs like 40 bucks or so for a small tube) that is suppossed to clear up poison ivy outbreaks on your skin... super quick and effective.

This is what you are talking about
Zanfel Wash for Poison Ivy / Oak & Sumac, Dual-Action Formula

It does work, just costly... I know some people who get it so bad they can't even play any outdoor activities that involve a woods type environment.. I didn't believe my cousin until he ended up in the hospital.

It looks like Walgreens has a generic kind that is about 25$.. I am sure Wal-Mart probably has the same then.

If its in your yard, make sure you pull up the roots. If you just cut it back it will come right back.

Years ago I worked for a land surveyor during the summers. Bummer.

Anyway, one of the "chainmen" was weed whacking up the bearing we were traversing
and there was a fenceline to the South. On the other side of the fence was a herd of goats.

The fence, which could barely be recognized as a fence, was covered with poison ivy. It was bearing fruit it was so developed.

:-/

I looked thru the theodylite and noticed the guy I was working with was feeding the goats
20 yards or so in front of me.... I whistled and called out for him to stop, but it was too late.

That dude ended up with the worst case of PI I've ever witnessed.

We have PI very bad on our course. It is everywhere. I never really get anything but one or two bumps where I kneel in it, or brush against it... It has been that way for decades-- I barely get PI, thankfully.

Years ago I worked for a land surveyor during the summers. Bummer.

Anyway, one of the "chainmen" was weed whacking up the bearing we were traversing
and there was a fenceline to the South. On the other side of the fence was a herd of goats.

The fence, which could barely be recognized as a fence, was covered with poison ivy. It was bearing fruit it was so developed.

:-/

I looked thru the theodylite and noticed the guy I was working with was feeding the goats
20 yards or so in front of me.... I whistled and called out for him to stop, but it was too late.

That dude ended up with the worst case of PI I've ever witnessed.

WOW!! I bet that was crazy.. poor guy..

Dont wipe your butt with it, knew a buddy that did that one time when we were playing paintball....FUNNY

I knew a girl in college who went camping, inadvertently threw poison-oak in the fire, and sat in that smoke all evening. Her face was literally unrecognizable.

I knew a girl in college who went camping, inadvertently threw poison-oak in the fire, and sat in that smoke all evening. Her face was literally unrecognizable.

It's definitely nasty stuff when you burn it. I had a friend do the same thing, and ended up in the hospital for a week on steroids to get the swelling in his lungs and throat down.

Damn, thats way worse then wiping your butt

After almost 40 years in the woods (including going right through patches), I got my first case of PI 2 years ago. Like others, I had always said I didn't get it.......Surprise!!! Now I'm VERY careful as my 2nd bought with it last year went systemic. Bleh!

It looks close. Here is a pic of real posion ivy

Actually the picture you posted is split down the middle with poison ivy on the left and Virginia creeper on the right. They look exactly the same except Virginia Creeper has five leaves and you can wipe your ass with it if you want to.

Just remember the old addage:

Leaves of three let it be.
Leaves of five you can wipe your ass with it.

is this poison ivy?:p
weed_plant.jpg

I've had honey from bee hives that were located near a tupelo swamp with one of the largest PI outcroppings I have ever come across. A forest full.

Tupelo honey rocs all by itself... but this was even richer and fuller, lighter colored honey than what you can expect from Tupelo... One of those... hmmm, kinda thingys. Not sure.

Uncle Tupelo kinda rocs too.

Last edited: