• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is your course getting unusually crowded

Ours feel like they're getting more crowded, but I just assumed it was because the heat was driving all of us towards the same time of day.

Build 10 new courses in 2 years like Charlotte. Free and clear disc golfing!

My home course is only a year old so its hard to say if its uncommonly crowded. I know for sure that during the week, in the early am you can have the place to yourself. I work weekends so Im not for sure how many people are out playing, but last Sunday I went out around noonish and there were alot of people enjoying themselves. There are for sure more people playing this year than last summer. The course has made alot of new players in the area, and I think thats a great thing!

Biz
Team Bert

I would say though that every so often there is a group of skin heads( i know right?) who comes and plays and breaks picnic tables and trees and other stuff. I hate those kind of people

I would say though that every so often there is a group of skin heads( i know right?) who comes and plays and breaks picnic tables and trees and other stuff. I hate those kind of people

How true is that! Why is it that people just break stuff to break it? I had to fix a sign on 12 at Shore Acres on Sunday because somebody had a bad drive, or hit a tree and got pissed. SUCKS. And dont even get me started about the tee pads, we fixed most of the cement with all the names on them, except for 6, that has a cock and balls still on it.:wall:
Oh well.
Biz
Team Bert

I play at Morley Field in San Diego. It's always crowded, all the time, year 'round. Just take a peep at the reviews for Morley and you'll see. We get up at 5:00 a.m. on weekends to go. If you get there after 7:00, it's just not worth it unless you want 30 minute waits on each hole.

yeah, the local courses are getting silly crowded. Also with school out for summer, fugitaboutit. DG at sunrise is the chit man.

Agreed. Obnoxious people don't tend to disc at 6:30 AM for some reason. I play before work almost every day :)

in all seriousness though, some dudes threw on me and my buddy yesterday when we were making our putts. my friend took it pretty seriously and almost started a fight with the dudes.

it's pretty ridiculous, really

In ball golf ive seen a friend just pick the persons ball up and throw it 3 fairways over. Pretty funny. I dont see why it couldnt apply to disc golf. Just pick up the persons disk and huck anywhere. Then yell at them for a sec.

One thing to note is that my friend is a big dude, not many people would mess with him, especially on a ball golf course. If your very small and womanlike,,the above could be risky.

It's summer. There's lots of TDDs out this time of year. It gets worse every year. But that's the price of success in growing the sport. I too go out early to avoid the heat and the douches. (In fact, tomorrow I'll be out about sunrise.) I also long for a good pay to play course in/near St. Louis.

I think many of you are unrealalistic about p2p.
While it works great in rural areas with entrance points, it doesn't work so good for urban community areas- which seems to be the problem.
My home course is cass Benton, a course known to have a great design but also the worst problems with all the forementioned. It would take a staff of twenty to enforce p2p.

We have a deposit on cans/bottles and at least ten trash cans but you will still find tons of trash just meters from them. We have some good talent but these new players are db's- they're not intrested in getting better and don't care about ettiquite. There's no way to make it p2p any slim chances of getting another course close.

It's not uncommon to wait ten to twenty minutes to tee off. When it's that packed, ettiquite doesn't stand a chance. Every tee is packed meaning playing through doesn't do much. Every can is overflowing, so even when my card picks up random trash, we really don't have anywhere to put it. Being an enforcer of common decency putts you at risk, I'm not one to fight or cause trouble on a course but when you see people intentionaly climbing skinny trees so they will bend and break, and you confront them, it's gonna be trouble. Actually my first thread I started here was asking what to do here (violence!?).

I really don't know what to do here:( I realize that I haven't been playing long, but with the new downpour of new players, it's becoming overwelming to wing them. My brother just started playing, and when I go with his group I try to help, but I can tell some of them think I take it too serious and discredit what I'm sayin. Many of these players are out there with nobody to show them the ropes, and many of them I couldn't stand enough to show them anything- and I'm not a judgemental person, I'm ska with tattoos and a pipe.

In America, majority rules, and they are the majority. It's sad that just a few miles away in Ann arbor these problems don't seem to be.

I also want to say that just because someone doesn't have a bag full of discs doesn't make them any better or worse then others. That's assanine thinking, especially since everyone and thier momma now has a fade bag.

Pay to play does work. In metropolitan areas it will always be an issue due to the lack of land available. In Madison, WI Vallarta Token Creek is a pay to play that doesn't seem to have the same overcrowding issues as the other two city courses. You'd be lucky to have to wait less than fifteen minutes per hole on any weekend afternoon at the city courses. Standing Rocks park is a pay to play near Stevens Point that is never crowded. If I head to YULGA to play in the afternoons, I end up waiting more than playing.

Oshtemo Township Park (Kalamazoo, MI) was getting crowded in about 2007, and now in 2010 it is unplayable...it actually rivals Morley Field in SD now.

In ball golf ive seen a friend just pick the persons ball up and throw it 3 fairways over. Pretty funny. I dont see why it couldnt apply to disc golf. Just pick up the persons disk and huck anywhere. Then yell at them for a sec.

One thing to note is that my friend is a big dude, not many people would mess with him, especially on a ball golf course. If your very small and womanlike,,the above could be risky.

its funny you mention this, because we got thrown on at a different course again today and he did exactly that. they just sort of stood on and near the teepad and it didnt really look like they knew what was going on. i was with a big group of people though so its not like those guys would have tried to do anything about it anyways.

jackasses

hay we all start some where. you cane not say you were never a 2 to 4 disc player.
plus just say hay cane i help you throw better and teach them the sport don't just yell at them..

I think many of you are unrealalistic about p2p.
While it works great in rural areas with entrance points, it doesn't work so good for urban community areas- which seems to be the problem.
My home course is cass Benton, a course known to have a great design but also the worst problems with all the forementioned. It would take a staff of twenty to enforce p2p.

We have a deposit on cans/bottles and at least ten trash cans but you will still find tons of trash just meters from them. We have some good talent but these new players are db's- they're not intrested in getting better and don't care about ettiquite. There's no way to make it p2p any slim chances of getting another course close.

It's not uncommon to wait ten to twenty minutes to tee off. When it's that packed, ettiquite doesn't stand a chance. Every tee is packed meaning playing through doesn't do much. Every can is overflowing, so even when my card picks up random trash, we really don't have anywhere to put it. Being an enforcer of common decency putts you at risk, I'm not one to fight or cause trouble on a course but when you see people intentionaly climbing skinny trees so they will bend and break, and you confront them, it's gonna be trouble. Actually my first thread I started here was asking what to do here (violence!?).

I really don't know what to do here:( I realize that I haven't been playing long, but with the new downpour of new players, it's becoming overwelming to wing them. My brother just started playing, and when I go with his group I try to help, but I can tell some of them think I take it too serious and discredit what I'm sayin. Many of these players are out there with nobody to show them the ropes, and many of them I couldn't stand enough to show them anything- and I'm not a judgemental person, I'm ska with tattoos and a pipe.

In America, majority rules, and they are the majority. It's sad that just a few miles away in Ann arbor these problems don't seem to be.

P2P can easily work in an urban setting under the right conditions. Many cities own and operate ball golf courses. Locally these courses are manged and operated by off duty and retired police officers. And why not employ a course ranger to ensure; speed of play; a max number in the group; timing of tee off... Somehow a course operated by the PD has little problems. Works for ball golf, it can work for disc golf too. That said most city ball golf course I've played on weren't what I call premier courses so the "quality" of clientel is not what you would find on your local Country Club. Its a trade off. $50k a year plus greens fees or $20 per round...

Latest posts