• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jdw80550 Bag thread

So I am beginning to figure out what my preferences are with some discs.

Punishers- Like them best in ZFlex, Z is solid but more of headwind compliment to the ZFlex, ESP probably has the best distance potential but damages too quickly.

Vulture- Big Z is my favorite, like pairing with a regular predator for beef, ESP got real straight real quick. Haven't tried Ti

Cranks- ZFlex for big panning annys, ESP for slight turn max D, BigZ is similar to ZFlex but seems a little more touchy, Regular Z is kind of garbage not a lot of glide and had to throw it hard.

Comets- Z all the way, unless they come out with a ZFlex. ESP really is placeholder in the winter or very quick annys.

Buzzz- meh, Z just because they are pretty utilitarian

Wasps- Flat Z is always the best for all around use, Old ESP for slightly flippy but still fade or panning annys, New ESP for beef, Jawbreaker for old ESP replacements, Cryztal for the wall

Scale- Whatever the heck this g* type plastic is, it is the best for approaches and drives, Fossil is great for jump putts.

Oh No! I created overlap...

So I have been throwing well lately, and I have really seen what my bag looks like at full power and consistent throws off the box. This has created a problem. I have a weird overlap between the Punishers (speed 12) and the Vultures (speed 9). The Vultures are so long that they are only being beat by the Punishers on sheer distance drives.

My Bag spectrum now looks like this:

Most OS to Most US

Predator/Tsunami (9)->Punisher (12)->Vulture (9)->Cranks (12)

I think I could get rid of the Punishers, but then on big D, where I want the stability the crank doesn't have the Vulture doesn't quite get the job done. But if I get rid of the Vultures the Punisher doesn't power down well enough. First world problems...

Paul talked about the Glow CRANK beeing the most stable CRANK in his "building the bag" . .maybe find one of those?

So I'm trying to set my bags for the upcoming tournament season.

Distance Drivers: (No change)
Punishers- Straight with slight fade or Big S-Curves
Cranks- Hyzer-flips, Long Annys, Rollers, and FH

Control Drivers: (Slight Change)
Tsunamis- Straight to hard fade, headwinds, spikes, sky-flex shots
Vulture- hyzer-flips, panning annys, flare hyzers, and FH

Mids:
Comets- Comety things
Buzzz- Straight with no fade, turnovers, and FH
Wasps- Hyzers, flex shots, panning annys

Putters:
Wizards- Putting, panning annys, and FH
Scale- Driving putter, roller, annys that bail and sit

What I have come to realize with the Vulture is that it is more of Discraft's version of a longer Eagle than a PD. It likes lateral movement, which can get you into trouble if you are not careful. The Tsunami doesn't have that problem. I'm going to try and begin cycling the tsunami's again while leaving the vulture to fill the stable to understable roll in the bag.

Also, bought a PDx. Really like that disc. I am probably going to figure out how to add into the bag, but need to stock up first. Nothing worse than finding a disc you like, only having one of them, then promptly losing it.

As always thoughts are appreciated.

Been a while since I did a bag update. The summer season hasn't been great. In particular my stable to slightly over stable driver section.

The vultures weren't straight enough and were getting too much turn. Went back to alphas and teebirds for a while. The alphas didnt fade enough and the teebirds were long enough to keep in the bag. (Wasps push 325'+, but to get the teebirds to 400' really hurt my arm. Easier to do with cranks, not as reliable for control, but how often do I need 400' control shots.) Picked up a couple of anax and I have been very happy. No real fairways any more, but control and distance.

Also, trying the stego and zone against the scale just to see which the better OS approach disc. Scale is most workable, but not great for FH. Zone is great FH but cant seem to range it BH. Stego is crazy weird. Best sut and stay of the three, but definitely need more time to figure it out.

Core staples
Punishers- big S turns with fade
Cranks- hyzer flips and long panning annys, have undertows in until I get more blue cranks
Comets- straight comet shots
Buzzz- straight with speed
Wasps- main mid
Wizard- putting

Juju
Tsunami
Punisher
Undertow
Comet
Buzzz
Wasp
Wizard
Scale

Black mojo
Anax
Anax
Punisher
Undertow
Comet
Buzzz
Wasp
Wasp
Wizard
Stego

Red moko
Punisher
Anax
Vulture
Crank
Comet
Buzzz
Wasp
Wasp
Wizard
Zone

Attachments

• 20190908_154340.jpg
    20190908_154340.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190908_155542.jpg
    20190908_155542.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190908_155042.jpg
    20190908_155042.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 24
Stego is in a whole different class. I pretty much only use mine for trick shots or weird lines. It does things no other disc will do. Got no room for a backhand hyzer? just throw it on a big anny flick and it acts the same.

I carry a Stego for weird shots and then a Breaker (zoneish) for normal overstable putter work.
Stego is sneaky good for actual putting in the wind.

Stego is in a whole different class. I pretty much only use mine for trick shots or weird lines. It does things no other disc will do. Got no room for a backhand hyzer? just throw it on a big anny flick and it acts the same.

I carry a Stego for weird shots and then a Breaker (zoneish) for normal overstable putter work.
Stego is sneaky good for actual putting in the wind.

Good to know, bc I've been trying to throw it on similar spike hyzer lines as the scale and zones, but it just dies. No movement, just up and down. Very cool, but I havent figured out how to use it best yet.

I like the advice about the FH. Anything that helps my FH is good. Appreciate it.

So it's been quite a while since I last posted. Going to play GBO this year, so I've really been working on solidifying bag slots and then which discs will be used in those particular slots. As of now, the slots are filled with:

Drivers:
Punisher
Anax
Crank

Mids:
Comet
Buzzz
Wasp
Zone

Putter:
Scale
Wizard

Primary Discs in the bag:
Drivers:
Z Punisher, 175g- Distance Hyzers
ZFLX Punisher, 174g- Long panning S (380'-400' with Movement)
ESP Anax, 175g- Most OS Driver
ESP Anax, 174g- Straight to fade (350'-~400')
ZFLX Crank, 174g- Max distance (400'-450')
ZFLX Crank, 174g- Turnovers

Mids:
Z Comet, 180g- powered down shots, floaty shots, straight shots, finesse annys
ZFLX Buzzz, 180g- power straight shots or flare hyzers
ESP Wasp, 180g- Straight to fade, hyzers, tight S-curve
Z Wasp, 178g- Beefier version of the ESP windy days skips
Z Zone, 173g- FH approaches, hard fading hyzers

Putters:
Armor Scale, 175g- Sticking up shots, full power putter shots
OG Scale, 175g- Running Up shots
SSSS Wizard, 175g- Putting Only

I do on occasion add a Predator/Tsunami into the bag depending on the course or conditions.

I moved away from the Teebird, but sometimes put it back in the bag for more wooded courses.

I do have a question I'm hoping people might be able to help me with:
-I live ~5,000' above sea level. Last time I went to Glass Blown, everything was super flippy. Took 12 OB strokes the first round bc nothing would come back.

So, my question is, do I practice for 2 months trying to master hyzer-flipping, even though it will be with different discs down there (Hyzer-flip crank here, but hyzer-flipping the punisher down there); or do I try and think about bumping everything and adding more stability for when I go down (remove the cranks, the punisher that their spot, the anax becomes the punisher slot, and the Pred/Tsunami is the Anax slot, then something really beefy for wind)?

So it's been quite a while since I last posted. Going to play GBO this year, so I've really been working on solidifying bag slots and then which discs will be used in those particular slots. As of now, the slots are filled with:

Drivers:
Punisher
Anax
Crank

Mids:
Comet
Buzzz
Wasp
Zone

Putter:
Scale
Wizard

Primary Discs in the bag:
Drivers:
Z Punisher, 175g- Distance Hyzers
ZFLX Punisher, 174g- Long panning S (380'-400' with Movement)
ESP Anax, 175g- Most OS Driver
ESP Anax, 174g- Straight to fade (350'-~400')
ZFLX Crank, 174g- Max distance (400'-450')
ZFLX Crank, 174g- Turnovers

Mids:
Z Comet, 180g- powered down shots, floaty shots, straight shots, finesse annys
ZFLX Buzzz, 180g- power straight shots or flare hyzers
ESP Wasp, 180g- Straight to fade, hyzers, tight S-curve
Z Wasp, 178g- Beefier version of the ESP windy days skips
Z Zone, 173g- FH approaches, hard fading hyzers

Putters:
Armor Scale, 175g- Sticking up shots, full power putter shots
OG Scale, 175g- Running Up shots
SSSS Wizard, 175g- Putting Only

I do on occasion add a Predator/Tsunami into the bag depending on the course or conditions.

I moved away from the Teebird, but sometimes put it back in the bag for more wooded courses.

I do have a question I'm hoping people might be able to help me with:
-I live ~5,000' above sea level. Last time I went to Glass Blown, everything was super flippy. Took 12 OB strokes the first round bc nothing would come back.

So, my question is, do I practice for 2 months trying to master hyzer-flipping, even though it will be with different discs down there (Hyzer-flip crank here, but hyzer-flipping the punisher down there); or do I try and think about bumping everything and adding more stability for when I go down (remove the cranks, the punisher that their spot, the anax becomes the punisher slot, and the Pred/Tsunami is the Anax slot, then something really beefy for wind)?

I'd say it would be different for everyone, but looking at your disc selection it doesn't seem like your game is super reliant on that hyzerflip shot. Even your Comet you say you throw with anny when you need a right to left BH shot. So I think the best method to mirror your game where you are would be to take plenty of more stable extras with you and take some practice rounds to learn them at the new elevation. There is a reason everyone throws a Force for stable drivers. IMO it's easier to learn a new disc, especially when it's just an OS disc, than it is to add shots to your game. Definitely will need a Predator for that GBO wind.

I'd say it would be different for everyone, but looking at your disc selection it doesn't seem like your game is super reliant on that hyzerflip shot. Even your Comet you say you throw with anny when you need a right to left BH shot. So I think the best method to mirror your game where you are would be to take plenty of more stable extras with you and take some practice rounds to learn them at the new elevation. There is a reason everyone throws a Force for stable drivers. IMO it's easier to learn a new disc, especially when it's just an OS disc, than it is to add shots to your game. Definitely will need a Predator for that GBO wind.

This has sort of been my train of thought. Add in something beefy that I can play with and focus on the putting/approach game for regimented practice.

Thanks again for the input, I always appreciate someone taking the time to be thoughtful.

Thought I would ask, for OS distance driver, any recommendations between the Force and the Machete? Or is there something I'm really missing. I would guess an Enforcer, Ahti, PD2, or something similar would work as well, I'm just more of a Discraft guy. Just looking for something as OS as my Pred/Tsunami but with a little more distance potential.

Machete is crraaaazy OS. Like FAF Firebird OS. Force is a workable OS straight to fade driver. The newer ESP ones have been coming out very stable, Z is more throw-able. Both are comparable to the enFORCEr (wonder where they got that name from) and a good run of PD2. Ahti is also like a pred/firebird.

What distance has you reaching for a bookend OS driver?

Thanks again. My thought is that one of these will end up being my windy day, OS work.

Throw my beefiest Punisher on ~370' hyzers, my Anax goes up to ~400' with slight drift to fade. Hyzer-flip Cranks to about 400' and then big panning S-shot Punisher up 450' (Needs lots of space to work though).

So it's been a long while. Got a few updates, but not a ton of changes. Been cycling discs around and playing night golf, which I never did before this summer. (too damn hot)

Drivers:
ESP Anax, 175g- Fresher, Overstable backhands, hyzer skips
ESP Anax, 175g- Main Anax, straight with reliable fade
ZFLEX Punisher, 173g- S-curve disc, long pan with fade
ZFLEX Crank, 173g- Farthest flying disc, hyzer flips, flare hyzers, turnovers

Mids:
Sparkle Z Comet, 180g- Flare hyzers, hyzer flips, turnovers
Z Wasp, 180g- Straight shots with slight fade, S-curves, panning annys
ESP Wasp, 180g- Overstable backhands, hard hyzers
ZFLEX Zone, 173g- FH approaches, get out of trouble shots

Putters:
G* type Scale, 174g- All upshots
SSS Wizard, 174g- Putting

I've been crushing the Crank. By far the the farthest disc I throw. I tell people, if I threw it far, it's a Crank.

Love the ZFLEX plastic. If I had the choice I would probably never go back to regular Z.

I have dialed in the Scale to be able to have drop-ins almost everytime if I'm within 120'. Used to struggle with this range, leaving myself 30-40 putts bc of bad upshots.

Putting still comes in waves. Some days it's lights out, other days it's not. Not too worried about it.

Been playing less for money and more for fun. It's been a nice change.

Anyway, got a few discs I'm going to try working with till Spring and see what I really end up liking best. I've decided to stick with only pink and blue because it's easier to find. Going with Buzz and Comet is the US spot. Either speed or touch.

Discs should be read left to right: slower to faster-->bottom to top: US to OS

The first picture is all discs. Other pictures are combos.
picture.php

Putters:
SSS Wizard, 175g- New putting putter. Got 4 sisters, so should be good for a while.
SSS Wizard, 175g- backup
G* Scale, 175g- BH approach disc
ZFLX Zone, 173g- FH approach disc

Mids:
Wasps, all max weight->ESP Ledgestone Hazel-Rah, Z Spider-Man, Z Pink and Blue, ESP Ledgestone Fiver's Nightmare
Comets and Buzzes, all max weight-> Z El-Hrairah Comet, Z Summit Buzz, Sparkle Comet, ZFLX Runes Buzz

Drivers:
US-> ZFLX Owl Crank, 173g, Sprakle Bloodseal Undertow, 173g
Punishers->Z Nautical Star Z, 172g, Z Rose, 173g, Z Daisies, 176g
S - OS-> ESP DarkMark Anax, 173g, TI Vulture (only run aces with it), 173g, Z Summit Predator, 174g, ESP Deathly Hallows Anax, 173g, ESP Alice in Wonderland Anax, 173g, ESP Spatter Anax, 175g

picture.php

Pros about this bag:
Colors alternate, pretty versatile, carry my ace running disc, and solid mid-range setup

Cons about this bag:
Too much overlap, have to play more S curve shots, not great for heavy woods

picture.php

Pros:
Zone is in the bag, skip bag, wind setup, ace running disc, and FH friendly bag

Cons:
Not a lot of flip, can get slick in snow, becomes one note when cold and not throwing far

picture.php

Pros:
Best slow setup, grip in cold weather, get to throw both ESP wasps, best woods bag

Cons:
lacks distance, not a great flippy disc, not great for FH

Feel free to give me suggestions and I'll try to keep the OCD about color organization to a minimum. :thmbup:

Great news!!!! After a 6 year dry spell, I hit 2 aces in 6 days. That was awesome! The problem was, it was my Undertow. Decided to replace it, but unfortunately, when I went to get a new ZFLX Crank, I found out Discraft stopped producing the Crank in ZFLX. Well, that means I need to test out a new straight to understable disc. Got two Champ Terns, 2 Champ Shrykes, 2 Nukes, and a Cannon. Too soon to say what will stay in the bag, but here's to trying.

Drivers:
Nukes/Punishers- Stable Distance
Anax- Straight to fade
Crank/Tern/Shrykes- Distance/Flip

Mids:
Comets- US duties
Buzzzes- Straight
Wasps- Straight to fade

Putters:
Zone- power approach/FH
Scale- dump approach/ nestle
Wizard- putting

What's that saying? The disc golf gods giveth and the disc golf gods taketh.

So, I hit another ace! First Comet ace. Then the next round I played I lost the new zone and a buzzz, in back-to-back holes. Good news, lots of buzzzes, bad news no extra zones

Good news, I'm getting settled in on drivers.

Distance
Z Nukes- sweeping hyzers, S-curves, and skips
ESP Anax- Straight with fade
Champ Shryke- Control distance- similar shot as the Anax but longer, FH
Champ Tern- US duties and finesse

Mids
Z Comets- US finesse
Z Buzzz- US power
ESP Wasps- Straight to fade, panning annys

Putters
Wizard- Putting
Scale- Approaches
Zone- Gotta get a new one...

So the hot streak continues. Hit another ace, putting my total for the year at 4! (Zflx Buzzz) Most I've ever hit year.

Switch the bag around. After playing with the Terns and Shrykes, I finally figured them out. However, they overlap with the Anax, so I went back to the Teebirds. I remember why I loved the Teebird.

Also switched to the Jokeri instead of the Zone, and I am really liking it. It's a ulterium(?) and it's super glidey, but super beefy. It's amazingly wonderful-weird.

Putting from 25' has been super on-point lately. I am working on an anny jump putt that runs the basket from about 70' out. It's getting better...but I struggle to commit to the power.

Utility
Nukes

Drivers
Over-Stable Teebirds
Stable Teebirds
Shrykes/Terns

Mids
Comets
Buzzzes
Wasps

Approaches
Jokeri
Scale

Putter
Wizard

Attachments

• 20210722_221052.jpg
    20210722_221052.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210722_221104.jpg
    20210722_221104.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210722_221039.jpg
    20210722_221039.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 11
So no aces, but the hot play continues. Took 2nd in a Triples tournament, $70 at doubles, and $50 in prizes, all in the last two weeks. The only problem is I am starting to develop arthritis in my middle and ring finger from my grip. I've been playing for over 20+ years now and this is my first real bothersome injury, but it only really hurts when I'm not throwing.:|

For triples, my role was to crush it. Got to write my name on every longest drive board, but only won 1 of them. I was consistently over 400' with control. That is still continuing. It's been the Skryke all the way. The Tern is probably going to fall out of the lineup because Shryke suits me better. Handles the power better than the Terns.

Wasps and Comets have been super clean, and haven't really thrown the buzz since I got an ace. But it's the Jokeri that has been the biggest surprise. I've thrown enough Zone-knockoffs that I figured this would be the same, but it's not. It has glide that I've never seen out of an OS approach disc. Feel like it runs at the basket better, where the Zone would be to stick close to the basket.

Drivers (Have multiples in various colors):
MF Teebird, 175g- Headwind/Hyzers
Champ Teebird, 175g- Main stable driver
Champ Shryke, 173g- Distance

Mids (Have multiples in various colors):
Z Comet, 178g- Annys, turnovers, flare hyzers
ESP Wasp, 180g- Straight, power anny
TI Wasp, 180g- Beef, Hyzers

Putters:
Ultium(?) Jokeri, 172g- Drives, runs
Champ (?) Jokeri, 173g- Approaches that need to sit
SSS Wizard, 174g- Putter