• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JMD27 2020 ITB

Yeah, the first 9 went in last year or the year before. The original 9 are still part of the course, just got added to it. It's definitely fun.

I think I average finding about 3 ticks per visit.

ah looks like i need to go back up and play the full 18 thank you

Well, decided against building my own, and invested in the ZÜCA compact cart. I wanted something smaller, and costs to make my own was approaching $150. So here we are...

On another note, I really like my bag of discs. I've been shooting really well with the usual set up. I think I might bag a third undertaker, since the stability gap between the regular Z and FRZ is growing. Just a nice, fresh Z to fit the bill.

Think I will re-organize a bit. I have thrown an Enforcer one time (effectively; also the 2019 LX Trespasses are basically Bio Enforcers is sweet plastic) all year, think the Fortress is likely filling a gap I don't need, and am going to try to use a Lucid Judge as my driving putter for a while; this knocks out 3 molds.

I gave thought to combining the heat and warrant into one US mold... but, honestly, the Warrant has served me very well in the woods/in ishy situations, and the heat has earned me a couple birdies on some holes I don't think I could get with something else. I do need to replace the Z heat with another ESP (lost my ESP earlier this year), and the Z fades out more than what I want it to... but thats fine!

My plan is to have my ideal set up be no more than 18 discs...

Trespass (4)
Undertaker (3)
Felon (2)
Heat (1)
Truth (2)
Verdict (1)
Warrant (1)
Zone (1)
Judge (3)

So I've had this thought where I switch from the trespass to the wraith. Thing is, this has been a serious thought, and a dumb one.

I have 16 different Trespasses in my basement.

Hmmmm....

Played the LSO layout at white cedar.

Trespass - 2018 Lucid X
Trespass - Fuzion Burst fresh
Trespass - Fuzion Burst used
Enforcer - Lucid
Undertaker - FRZ
Undertaker - Z fresh
Undertaker - Z used
Heat - ARZ
Felon - Lucid
Felon - Lucid X
Truth - EMac Lucid
Truth - Lucid
Warrant - Lucid
Verdict - Glimmer X
Reko - K1
Zone - ESP
Judge - Prime x2

The white cedar LSO layout is in UDisc. Everything is listed as par 3, but I would venture there are at least 2 or 3 par 4s (holes 4, 8, 18). Fun breakdown time! (Bag above):

Hole:
1: Fresh FB Trespass hyzer to 20' : Judge putt for 2
2: Reko off line a bit to 45' : Judge putt miss : 3
3: Verdict hyzer on line 35' long : Judge putt miss : 3
4: Used Z Undy good shot to landing zone : Reko up to 10' : 3
5: Heat hyzerflip hit tree halfway : Zone upshot hit tree to 45' : Judge miss putt : 4
6: Flippy Truth to 45' : Judge layup (death putt) : 3
7: Zone on line into tree to 50' : Judge jumper for 2
8: Used Z Undy pure to near short pin : Judge upshot 30' long : Judge miss putt : 4
9: Fresh Z Undy hit basket top! to 10' : Judge in for 2
10: Reko hit tree halfway up fairway : Zone up to 10' : 3
11: Warrant hit tree halfway up fairway : Judge up to 5' : 3
12: Zone hit tree 2/3 down fairway : Judge up to 10' : 3
13: Warrant hit tree halfway up fairway : Judge to 15' : 3
14: Reko pure to 10' : Judge in for 2
15: Flippy Truth hit tree halfway up fairway : Zone hit number plate on upshot : Judge in for 3
16: Flippy Truth pure to 15' long : Judge in for 2
17: ETruth placement to 50' : Judge under basket : 3
18: Heat squared tree 200' off the box : Felon FH to top of hill 75' : Judge to 10' : 4

So a 52. Not so bad. -2 iron man, maybe a -5 to course par. Really only hole 4 felt like a real bogey. I had a spell in the middle where I was just getting pars, which is good. On 15, I hit my line, but a line better served for the ETruth, so I took a second shot with it, and squared center chains, and it spat back out in front of the basket. Woulda been a cubby ace, but fun nonetheless. I'd be happy with this round come Saturday (LSO). I'm playing MA1 again. Really hope to help that dropping rating!

I'm pretty sure the bag a couple posts above will be the bag I use for the LSO.

Curious, for those who frequent the area:

When you create a bag, are you looking to create a bag:
A. That you view as permanent; a bag that you'd ideally not change and can bring everywhere; or,
B. That you create to cater to the course; it evolves depending on the course you play?

Lemme know!

Ideally, and maybe theoretically, I try to plan for A. I'd like to create a bag that works everywhere. However, it seems these days, when switching between my bags/cart, I sometimes switch up discs... so maybe I am actually a B... :|

Curious, for those who frequent the area:

When you create a bag, are you looking to create a bag:
A. That you view as permanent; a bag that you'd ideally not change and can bring everywhere; or,
B. That you create to cater to the course; it evolves depending on the course you play?

|

Not sure if by "frequent the area" you are referring to Duluth or the Bag Suggestions Forum. Assuming the latter, I am definitely a 'B' even though I try to be an 'A.'

I will typically add a couple ridiculously flippy discs on tightly wooded courses, plus a disc that I can flick with low effort (right now that's a beat in Felon). And I almost completely swap out my distance drivers. I do this because I only really need a stable and understable distance driver on tight courses, and the risk of losing said driver is higher so I bag backups instead of my favorite throwers. I also will rotate some backups into my bag a couple times a month to maintain familiarity/confidence.

While I'd prefer to just carry the same discs all the time, there actually are some benefits to mixing things up a bit. It means that if I do lose a disc, or an old reliable disc beats in just a tad too much, then odds are I have another similar disc ready to replace it. There are a couple slots in my bag that would be tough to replace but, in general, I have at least two discs that I am comfortable with for any given speed/stability level.

And!.... lost my perfectly seasoned, go to Z Undertaker in the fking frog pond... probably my one irreplaceable disc.

I even went into the gross pond. I pulled out a disc that doesn't belong to me and a leech.

Stupid.

Well... followed up my two rounds that were both above 960 with a sub 900 last round!!! Talk about consistency!..... :|

Gunna give the wraith a shot in the distance slot. I have a handful. They feel like they come out of the hand so quick, and fly just as far as the trespass/emperor, with a 'true' distance driver kind of flight. So... to the start of a Star wraith cycle..

I've been toying with bag setups lately, but have really settled on what I have. An 18 disc setup I've come up with and hope to stick to for a while:

Wraith - 3 (some combo of Star/Pro/Colorglo)
Enforcer - 1 (Lucid/Bio)
Undertaker - 3 (one FRZ, and two Z/BigZ)
Felon - 2 (Lucid/LX)
Heat - 1 (ESP/Z)
Truth - 2 (EMac Lucid)
Verdict - 1 (Lucid/LX)
Warrant - 1 (Lucid)
Reko - 1 (K1)
Zone - 1 (ESP/Z)
Judge - 2 (Prime)

Managed to pop my rating back up 12 points to 931. I had a decent showing at the LSO last weekend, so that helped. I'm hoping to play a couple more events this year, and would love to continue to climb. I really feel that 940 barrier is achievable, I just need to avoid throwing a ~900 rated round among decent rounds...

I like the pivot toward Wraiths, if I were better I'd probably run an only Wraith distance driver lineup. The only issue is generally D1's get an extra 15 feet or so for me just from the wider rim, while being generally more OS, so it's hard to kick them out of the bag.

I really think it comes down to I'm not a distance player. Trespasses have been a go to, but I really think the mold can be kind of squirrelly, where it doesn't fade at low speeds like can be useful. I can comfortably get either mold to about 375 (flat) and really think that is enough for my game. If I gotta pump or shape a disc a little further, so be it.

I also find the wide rims (2.3) a little difficult to be consistent with, especially when they are deeper. But can definitely see the benefit of using a faster disc to get extra D.

I really think it comes down to I'm not a distance player. Trespasses have been a go to, but I really think the mold can be kind of squirrelly, where it doesn't fade at low speeds like can be useful. I can comfortably get either mold to about 375 (flat) and really think that is enough for my game. If I gotta pump or shape a disc a little further, so be it.

I also find the wide rims (2.3) a little difficult to be consistent with, especially when they are deeper. But can definitely see the benefit of using a faster disc to get extra D.

Quarantine was not nice to my distance, I think I lost 50'...
I've heard a lot of people day trespasses can get squirrelly, so you're not alone on that one. I actually keep a beat up domey * Wraith in my bag for (normally) long distance turnovers where I don't want the D1 fade.

I'd be pretty darn good at disc golf if I could putt...

I putt in my yard every day, and try not to change things up too much, but it doesn't translate into the course when it counts. Any tips/tricks/etc?

I know, repetition repetition repetition....

I'd be pretty darn good at disc golf if I could putt...

I'd be pretty mediocre at disc golf if I could putt.... :rolleyes:

But I'll throw out one suggestion anyway . . .

I putt in my yard every day, and try not to change things up too much, but it doesn't translate into the course when it counts. Any tips/tricks/etc?.

Grabbing a stack of putters and tossing putt after putt is different than when you are playing a round. When you are practicing, you can adjust your next putt based on the last one.

In contrast, during a round (especially a tournament round) you may have long intervals between putts. Consequently, you don't get the chance to immediately correct off your previous mistakes.

One thing that helps me is to practice upshots and then putt out from wherever the upshots land. I find this a better simulation of actual play versus just putting a stack of putters.

If you don't have the room to throw upshots, try tossing putters to random locations around the basket and putt them out.

Good luck!

I'd be pretty mediocre at disc golf if I could putt.... :rolleyes:

But I'll throw out one suggestion anyway . . .

Grabbing a stack of putters and tossing putt after putt is different than when you are playing a round. When you are practicing, you can adjust your next putt based on the last one.

In contrast, during a round (especially a tournament round) you may have long intervals between putts. Consequently, you don't get the chance to immediately correct off your previous mistakes.

One thing that helps me is to practice upshots and then putt out from wherever the upshots land. I find this a better simulation of actual play versus just putting a stack of putters.

If you don't have the room to throw upshots, try tossing putters to random locations around the basket and putt them out.

Good luck!

I dig the suggestion! I do use the ~100 feet I got along my house to do this upshot/putt practice. It's definitely good practice!

I've debated just switching up putters, since it's been years since I've done that, but that would put the 14+ judges I have to waste...