• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kettlebells and disc golf

brichert

Bogey Member
I did a search on this site and see some of you use a kettlebell workout. I am looking to do so fitness work this off season and am intrigued by the kettlebell. I am 48 years old and overweight. It seems like a kettlebell routine is something I can do at home instead of having to drive to the gym. I am hoping some of you would be willing to share your kettlebell workout that you use to improve your disc golf game. I would be grateful for any videos and kettlebell weight recommendations too as I am just beginning. I also searched YouTube and found only one short video relating the kettlebell to disc golf. Thank you so much in advance.

I've been doing a quick 15-20 minute kettlebell workout 2-4 times a week for the last year and a half with great results. It's been good for general health reasons, and has also in itself added 25'-35' to my drives.

I basically just do these exercises, minus the turkish getup (seems like something I could really hurt myself with if it goes wrong, just never seemed worth it). I also mix in pushups, squats sans kettlebell, and yoga poses for abs like the Boat Pose.

Not sure what weight you're looking at starting with. 25 pounder?

Turkish get up... the king of kettle bell maneuvers. Core, back, shoulders, chest, tricep, forearm and wrist in one.
1 is easy
10 gets very difficult

All the gyms on my base have tons of kettlebells, so I actually use them quite a bit at the end of my typical workout to help me stretch out while still working whatever muscles I'm targeting. The best things about kettlebells, in my opinion, is how versatile they are. As you lose weight and increase flexibility, it will only open up more exercises for you.

I commend you on your choice to get healthier. It won't be good just for disc golf..but for your entire life.

If you get your 'bells at a sporting goods store they oftentimes comes with a poster for flyer that show you how to do different exercises. That's a gokd starting point. Put emphasis on core, shoulder and leg exercises but don't neglect the rest of your body.

I also suggest checking out DDP Yoga.

Good luck!

Core strength is where it's at if you want to add distance. I'd recommend some turkish get ups and squat swings with a kettlebell. Along with that, I'd also recommend getting an Ab Wheel(very cheap piece of equipment). I'd also mix in some body weight walking lunges. And to finish it off, throw in a few sets of either modified push-ups or regular push-ups. I'd also think about adding in a little bit of cardio to the mix. This will help you from gassing out during long tournament rounds.

I too used to be fairly overweight(close to 300 at 6'2"). Now a days I weigh in around 194-198. The above mentioned exercises are part of a regiment I did to help get myself back into shape as well as help my overall disc golf game. Currently, thinking about giving yoga a whirl this winter since I'm not a huge fan of snow golf. Try to add some oil to these rusty joints.

Any input on a starting weight? Keep in mind, disc golf and walking is the most physical activity I do.

Any input on a starting weight? Keep in mind, disc golf and walking is the most physical activity I do.

.. with all due respect, a public forum is not the place you want to be asking advice on technique or desired resistance when starting on a new exercise program, as no two people/situations/etc are the same ... if kettle ball training is your specific interest (very good choice), I would strongly suggest starting in a manner that would help to assure your results safely and satisfactory ... it should not be too tough to find a certified instructor in your area, and in a few sessions, you will not only be assisted in beginning correctly, but also make much better progress than if you attempt to do so in a random fashion... it is more often than not, money very well spent ..

There are several little nuances involved in proper training technique in any fitness indeavor, and without being aware of them, it can not only lead to frustration, but more importantly, injury or a muscular imbalance that could cause problems down the road ...

Certainly there are simple, very beneficial programs that you can be doing at home on your own, with very little expense ... but to start on the path correctly, can be invaluable ... also, a person with the proper credentials should be one that will safely match your program design, to your current physical condition ... which is where you want to start to assure the best results ...

Enter the Kettlebell
By Pavel Tsatsouline

It's a great book on Kettlebell training.
Also for added training look up

Convict Conditioning
By Paul Wade

This book is all about body weight training and calisthenics.
It focuses on progressing slowly with proper form to ensure you build muscle right and safely. Kettle bells is all about your core in the main fundamental swing as well as the more complex clings and get ups and convict conditioning focuses alot on core also. These books will go hand in hand.
Hope it helps and good luck!

bc41da2e20231cc98a485352217f6a7c.jpg

Someone up stream posted that if you're going to work out, you might want to talk to someone rather than solicit advice online, I agree. Someone also said core, core, core, and I agree. My company is located in a facility that has a gym, and trainers, there is nothing better you can do that to talk to a trainer, and tell them what you are trying to do.

Here's a thought, Yoga. Yoga will increase your flexibility, your reach, and your strength at much lower impact than lifting. I'm not saying don't lift, I do three times a week, I'm 55, but I see a trainer once every two to three months to make sure my form is correct, and to change things out to keep it fresh. KBs are great, but a well rounded workout involves a little dynamicism in the process. Lifting without balance can easily lead to problems where you are pulling things out of wack in some areas due to an emphasis on the wrong areas.

Trainers aren't cheap, but they can be had a reasonable prices at a gym. I know it's hard to go to a gym, or ask help when you are behind the curve and feel out of shape, but that's exactly what you have a trainer for. They aren't judgemental, and they want nothing more than for you to improve.

You know most certified trainers take a 12-30 hour class to get that certification? Some, planet fitness and 24 hour fitness only require basic first aid to be listed as a trainer. I've been a nsca certified trainer for 8 years, and trained top level athletes that are now attending d1 schools, as well as a 1 NFL player and 1 mlb player. I'm merely pointing out that these local gyms, local crossfit boxes, the word personal trainer is usually an entry to a load of BS just to be able to sell you their advice. Now days, even as a trainer, I saw the best place to get advice is online. I'm out of the money making end of competing and training, so I may be a bit biased with my opinion.

Haha, this. Or they have shoulder and other mobility problems for lack of form.

Yeah I ****ing love inhaling chalk dust while some asshat gives himself scoliosis for time.

I ****ing despise Crossfitters. The program itself is outstanding when done right.

I digress.

Lots of good advice here. Just remember to start slow and work into it, whether you are flying solo or consulting a trainer. Best of luck!

I throw around a 25 kilo kettlebell (~55 lbs). Are kettlebells good for disc golf? Maybe, if you do it right.

The great thing about bells is that you can do everything with one heavy object. If you work on your core and lower body it can be great for disc. Grip strength is also huge. If you work a ton of cleans it will overdevelop your shoulders and actually hurt your game. I fall into that camp; my bell routine definitely hurt my game.

My recommendations for a routine:
Jump squats
Lunges
Swings (make sure you swing with your core, NOT with your shoulders)
Box jump

I personally do not like Turkish getups. They are easy to do with bad form if you do not have someone watching you that knows what it should look like. Too many options available to hoist that bad boy up in the wrong way.

If I were to recommend a weight for you I would say 15 kilo. My 25 kilo is too heavy and results in too much muscle mass in the shoulders imo

Now days, even as a trainer, I saw the best place to get advice is online. I'm out of the money making end of competing and training, so I may be a bit biased with my opinion.

True, but and that is a very big BUT, you kind of have to have a knowledge base and know a little about what you are looking for or asking. there is a ton of good info but just like everything online a substantial amount of bs. If you can filter the bs with prior knowledge or reputable sources.
I have seen off and on very wrong very confident advice that gets lots of "awesome thanks!"
Just a word of caution for those who really aren't sure what they are looking for.

Yes, thats called bro science and its rampant. Check you sources kids.

Most types of resistance training will have some benefit for your disc golf game. The benefit of kettlebells is that you're moving dynamically in a wave from core to extremity much like a DG throw and relatively speaking they're hard to hurt yourself with compared to doing something like deadlifts with poor form.

Pavel's material is good and there are plenty of online resources. For your DG game I doubt you'd need more than KB Swings and Turkish Getups, the snatches wouldn't be worth the risk to your throwing shoulder.

Source: I owned a gym for 9 years, have been using Kettlebells since 2003 and have taught hundreds, maybe even over a 1,000 people how to perform those movements.