• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kure Beach, NC

Kure Beach Disc Golf - Grand Opening Ceremony

Here's information on Kure Beach Disc Golf Course's Grand Opening!

Attachments

• Grand Opening Flyer Jpeg copy.jpg
    Grand Opening Flyer Jpeg copy.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 29
I "think" my buddy and I are hitting this up on Saturday, so Russ, Disc Junkie, whoever, now you know. :D

Wait until Sunday if you can, Maybe I'll see you there.
PM me with an ETA.

Dave I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I do not think your rain dance worked

Heads up! Sunday @ 2:30 were approached by a local Marshall on hole 8 and asked to leave the course because it is closed until Feb 20th. He was telling all groups to leave and was not happy about the beer consumption he was seeing. The pkg lot near hole 1 is ribboned off & we told him they should put up a sign or people will continue to play. I can assume they will be out there patrolling till then and will ultimately be issuing $170 tickets for open containers.

On a good note the course looks great, signs, transition paths, and no standing water after the rain. Until further notice.....

Dave I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I do not think your rain dance worked

My rain dance worked perfectly, I caught a gap in the rain perfectly on Friday afternoon. ;) I didn't even attempt to go out there Sat.

And yeah, it sounds like Kure Beach's finest set up shop in the parking lot to distribute as many open container and unleashed dog tickets as they could. That course will be an alcohol free zone on the weekends until the cops have something better to do or doesn't seem worth their time to patrol out there. I heard that they come rolling through the course around lunchtime (all week) on 4 wheelers looking for people drinking so if you plan on enjoying a buzz while you throw your Buzzz you're gonna have to keep it on the super down low. ;)

One more heads up, apparently the course is supposed to be closed until Feb. 20th.

I guess they just want the suspense to build for the opening day tournament. Only 9 holes though whats up with that?!

Again, to re-iterate what everyone is saying...
First, Mike Jones, the designer and default course pro, is very apologetic for the misunderstanding about the DG course.
He was unaware that the town intended for it to be closed until the Grand Opening.

Second, the town of Kure Beach intends to STRICTLY enforce open container laws (no beer or alcohol consumption allowed).
Third, the town of Kure Beach intends to STRICTLY enforce leash laws (dogs or pets must be on a leash at all times, assuming they're even allowed).
Fourth, the police station is across the street from the park and they are intending to patrol the park heavily. So if you intend to partake of the fruit of the cannabis, you are taking a HUGE risk.

This is DiscJunkie talking, but I suspect that the town of Kure Beach will have the DG community in the crosshairs. If we mess this up, we can't blame the cops

Second, the town of Kure Beach intends to STRICTLY enforce open container laws (no beer or alcohol consumption allowed).

I understand that people want to have a cold one out on the course, but it is f'n illegal. If you can't go an hour or two without having alcohol, then maybe you need to start asking yourself if you have a problem with it.

The same things goes for toking up out on the course.

I know people want both of these things to be legalized, but until that happens just don't do it out on the course. That is the fastest way to have a city pull a course or refuse to build new ones.

People in Raleigh are trying to get more courses there, but Parks and Rec won't hear it because of what is going on a Cedar Hills and Kentwood.

Last edited:
It's a little more complicated with Kure Beach b/c drinking is legal in Castle Hayne from what I understand. So you have all of those players used to the comforts of Castle Hayne running over to Kure Beach and dealing with a Pleasantville police department.

I think the course will be in more danger of not seeing much use b/c of the stringent anti-drinking enforcement rather than being pulled b/c of "goodtimers." Plus, it's a bit of a drive to begin with. Time will tell though.

kure beach

yes we are almost there.the official opening is feb 20.untill then the public works people will still be working on the course during the week so the town naturally has some liability issues about injuries,that is what the closing is about.the club(pleasure island disc golf club)still has a few more tweeks but we are allmost done. the police do not want to bust everyones chops over drinking but come on guys,if you have two discs in one hand and a 12 pack under one arm you are asking to be harassed.keep it on the down low and enjoy the game.this is a disc golf course not a drinking game.on a good note we will get to remove those disc eating rocks around the baskets.hang with us untill the grand opening is over and we can enjoy this course.has anyone aced 4 yet? by the way it has been named the aceosaurus.(after that dinosaur looking tree).we hope everyone loves the course.we have worked hard to design a fare course with all throws (practice your roller).the mandoes on the back nine are to help keep people off of the tract of land behind the course because the gov.asked that we do.lets dont piss them off.we used mandoes because calling that road out of bounds would be a nightmare for the scorekeeper(and your score).anyone intrested in joining the pleasure island disc golf club can call me at 910-547-8037.so keep throwing.wayne

Has anyone gotten the details on the opening day mini tournament....cost or anything of that nature?

Yea a buddy of mine aced number 4 about 2 weeks ago on sunday. right after they took down the closed for play sign and tape.

I think the course will be in more danger of not seeing much use b/c of the stringent anti-drinking enforcement rather than being pulled b/c of "goodtimers." Plus, it's a bit of a drive to begin with. Time will tell though.

SWEET!!! A course that I can actually go play and not have to wait for 8-some's!!! Man the Castle gets too much traffic.

I love me some brews, but it isn't that difficult to keep it off the course. Especially if it means adding or saving courses. My guess is, as usual, it is a small portion of morons everywhere that could ruin it for all. Maybe it's time us 'average, everyday' DGers need to start doing a little policing of our own, and talk to people we see on the course that need a little education. We might be able to spin it in a more friendly and civil manner than the local PD.

I think some signs regarding the alcohol and leash laws at the park are in order. I may be wrong but I didn't see any thing at the park that indicated either activity were illegal in Kure Beach/the park. A fair warning for those visiting the course and unfamiliar with local ordinances.

signes on the way

ok guys the course has been tweeked to be ready for opening day. we trimmed some small fairway openings,like 12 just around the corner, and some others that we feel will make the course better. the signes someone was asking about are on the way and will be in opening day.hope the doggy poop bag stand is in also.the town has taken pains to provide plenty of trash cans so PLEASE use them.we have a very nice course here so lets take care of it and enjoy another local course,hope to see ya on sunday.wayne