• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kure Beach, NC

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
My connections have informed me that Kure Beach will be getting a disc golf course soon, baskets have been ordered, course has been designed. Just a matter of clearing out the holes. Should be done by Winter. This should greatly alleviate the crowding on Castle Hayne which is an oasis of disc golf in the area.

That's great news, any ides on if it'll be any good or not?

It's being put in by some of the Castle Hayne faithful, they are hardcore about their disc golf trust me. It should be good as long as there is enough land.

Either way, that region sorely needs more courses. Suppose to be plans for another just before Carolina Beach in Arrowhead park but apparently they are waiting for some bonds to pass or something.

Kure Beach is donating about 14+ acres of land for the course, much less than Castle Hayne. But it will be designed professionally by INNOVA so we're confident they will make the most out of it. The New Hanover DG club will be donating labor when the time comes so hopefully there will be winter golf at the beach. As far as I know Arrowhead is still on hold.

Well Castle Hayne is a multipurpose park, right?

I noticed there was a lot of space not able to be used because of roads, ball fields, etc.

14 acres is more than enough to build a good course, right?

Either way, that area of NC desperately needs more disc golf, and any disc golf is better than no disc golf.

When I said less acres than Castle Hayne I did mean just the disc golf course
land, which is about 40 acres. General rule, you want a minimum of an acre per hole to create hole separation and decent transitions. I just saw recently that it will be 18 acres rather than 14 so that will help. But you're right, more golf is good golf.

Any progress on this course?

Can someone post some directions?

i am also interested in the progress!

I was just thinking about this courses, and I too was curious if it was opened yet!

(Bump) I just wondered about this course again.

Hey, I was snooping around google to see the latest on this course. I stumbled across this. It was in some City P.R. persons facebook status update.

Disc Golf Course in Kure Beach We are currently waiting on the Sonny Point military facility to give us permission to use some more land than the Town currently leases from them. We want to insure a top notch, championship caliber disc golf course and our designer from Innova Disc Golf needs a little more land to make it happen. We at the Kure Beach Parks and Recreation are fully confident in this additional land being made available to us shortly. If you have some specific questions or concerns then please give me a call at 910 200-6025. Thanks for your interest and we look forward to seeing you on the new KB Disc Golf Course.
Bob Fitzsimons, chair of the P & R Advisory Board

Sounds like it's shaping up nicely! That was left on March 13th. You might have already known this, but I felt like contributing anyways! :D

Yeah, they need some Admiral's permission to use the additional land is what I understand.

Russell Schwarz from Innova has been out there and planted some flags but that's as far as the design has gone. Kure Beach Parks keeps havings land issues with Sunny Point Military base and they can't seem to come to an agreement on how many acres they can use. Lowe, the name of the park is Joe Eakes Park. No reason to go out there now but I will keep this mb informed when Kure Beach or Arrowhead get installed.

(Bump) I just wondered if there was any news yet?

We want to insure a top notch, championship caliber disc golf course

The big question here would be: Why?

Top notch? Sure, go for it.

But "championship caliber"? In Kure Beach? Why? What's the market? I don't get it.

Latest posts