• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kure Beach, NC

There is suppose to be a meeting at the Kure Beach Town hall tonight about the Disc Golf Course. This is from the Town of Kure Beech Town News.

DISC GOLF PRE-CONSTRUCTION MEETING
11/8/10 @ 6:30 pm
The Parks & Recreation Advisory Board will hold a pre-construction meeting for the Disc Golf Course on Monday, November 8th at 6:30 pm in the Council room at Town Hall. All interested persons are encouraged to attend.

Looking forward to coming down to Wilmington and playing some more quality courses.... I was google'n course development around NC and came across the article from July. I'm excited to see Kure Beach.

How'd the meeting go by the way?

I heard from an associate of mine today and they said that Kure Beach hopes to have to course up and running by Christmas. That would be a fine Christmas gift for areas DGers

KURE BEACH DISC GOLF COURSE: UPDATE!!!
Construction on our disc golf course has begun and all18 holes have been cleared. Don't forget that Hole Sponsorships are available for $300 per hole or $150 for a half-hole. These types of sponsorships will allow you to have your business, non-profit organization or family name placed on the disc catcher at your hole. A $50 annual renewal fee is also required to continue your name recognition on the catcher. Businesses can write this expense off as advertising. If you simply want to make a financial donation, you will receive name recognition on the Sponsor Board during the disc course dedication. What a great way to leave a legacy in Kure Beach

My buddy (Otter on here) said that the course is very close to being done, they're just waiting to pour the tees and polish off the fairways. 18 holes, supposed to be a par of 60. Sounds like the rough is very rough, my buddy says he has been carrying a machete to help retrieve discs.

My brother and I went and messed around the Kure course today. No baskets or tee pads yet but there are little wooden stakes where tee pads and baskets will go. Hole 5 doesn't flow well with the rest of the course. And hole 18 would be awesome if they flipped the current tee pad and basket location, even though it would make 18 play away from the parking lot. Other than those 2 things I thought the course was awesome! It's going to be a lot of fun.

So it's going to be an 18 hole course now! :thmbup: I've got to get my S together and get up there again!

you might get lucky and the pop up baskets may be up. (but that means the guys are out there working) and you have to remember that a right handed side arm player is designing it so there is alot of right hand turn overs and side arm shots. but i love 18 its going to be awesome.

Otter, I know it's early but do you know if there will be a path from 17's basket to 18's tee. It looked like the current layout had you finishing 17 and walking down 18's fairway to get to the teepad, then again there could have been a path and I missed it, or there could be one in the works.

Finally got a chance to go play Kure beach this weekend. After the 45 minute drive from Castle Hayne to the course I was relieved to find out the course was in great shape and an extremely fun course. It took me some time to figure out the layout since I had not been out there yet and was extremely impressed with what is going on down there. sheaD brought up my hole 5 being out of place and in my opinion a little to much like hole 15 at the Castle. I would also have to agree that hole 18 would be amazing if it the basket and tee pad placements were switched, it would flow so much better. (not to mention it would be playing towards that grove of trees, talk about a signature hole). But all in all i was very impressed, thank you all who are working so hard on it it is going to be another top notch course for sure.

p.s.
Keep updates posted if there is ever any help needed i.e. workdays I would love to contribute.

I'll be heading out there very soon to get a look.
Hopefully this week.
I'm excited that all the talk has finally gotten somewhere.
Anybody wanna meet me and help me write the review???
Send me a PM.

Otter made it sound like they hadn't put the permanent baskets in yet, so unless they got busy on that in a hurry, the course may not be ideal for reviews quite yet.

Otter, I know it's early but do you know if there will be a path from 17's basket to 18's tee. It looked like the current layout had you finishing 17 and walking down 18's fairway to get to the teepad, then again there could have been a path and I missed it, or there could be one in the works.

Yes there is a path and no its not really there right now. you can walk it but its a zig zag and pushing your way kind of thing.
Really need to get out there, work has been so crazy no disc golf for me for almost 2 weeks........ but this is nothing to what brother dave is having to deal with (get well soon, and get down here to see the new course)

Otter made it sound like they hadn't put the permanent baskets in yet, so unless they got busy on that in a hurry, the course may not be ideal for reviews quite yet.

Yes please no reviews yet there are only a few pop up baskets out there (if you know where they hide them when there not out there) so your really just throwing from stick to stick and no real signs so if you don't know where your going you could get lost, one of the bad things is around a few holes just to the left is OB cuz it is government land and we are not to be on it. it is open and no real clear signs yet to say where it starts. this is a big deal cuz they gave us land so we could have 18 holes so we really don't want to make anyone mad going where we shouldn't. feel free to come on down and to get a feel for the course and throw some disc. and trust me AS SOON AS I KNOW WHEN THE BASKETS ARE GOING IN, i'll put a post up here. after that i'll be out there so look for me i'm the only guy in town with a celery Carolina team Bag and all green disc.

I'll be heading out there very soon to get a look.
Hopefully this week.
I'm excited that all the talk has finally gotten somewhere.
Anybody wanna meet me and help me write the review???
Send me a PM.

Okay, no reviews yet.
Keep us up-to-date, Otter!

I have been told that the baskets are up.
Can anybody confirm this????

I have been told that the baskets are up.
Can anybody confirm this????

Talked to Otter yesterday, he said they are pouring the concrete for the baskets next week. He also said that they are looking into using some sort of track & field type track material for the tee pads b/c they're recyclable.

The course sounds like it will be wicked looking, I'll hopefully get a tour this weekend if the weather doesn't keep me off the road.

Thanks Dave.
Saved me a disappointing trip up there.
Let me know when you hear the baskets are in.

"The course sounds like it will be wicked looking". It is wicked looking. White sand dunes, lots of beach trees that are only like 6-7 feet tall, also plays into some woods as well, you have to throw over a big "sand ditch thing" on 12 (I believe that is the hole #), a very old ship bouy on hole 5. Very different than any other course I've ever played, skips are pretty non-existent with the thick beach sand out there. I'll probably go and mess around out there again this weekend. Maybe even bring an extra portable.

It's going to be a good one. Otter gave me a tour this past weekend and I'm pretty stoked. The vegetation/terrain is unlike any course I've ever seen and the trees are just really neat, it's like regular trees got buried up to the point where they just start branching out, like dwarfed trees. Lots of neat moss everywhere too, I hope foot traffic doesn't trample too much of it away. The course really makes great use of the elevation and it's in a top-notch park. As far as design, you can tell it's being designed by a FH thrower with more than a few baskets squirreled away to the right but it's pretty balanced and should be a great change of pace to the Castle. Lots of winding, s-curving holes, pretty good variety. The difficulty looks like it will really pick up on the last 3-4 holes that are within the more typical pine treed area. There are a few natural sand traps you get to avoid too, big holes of white sand. Hole #5's view from the tee will undoubtedly be the signature hole, with the Dr. Seuss trees and the big buoy. As it appears to be now, it's a huge circle of a hole, it's going to require at least two mandos to be played as it's supposed to. If it was me, I'd make it more of a big L shaped hole rather such a severe horseshoe b/c A: it's less crazy, B: it wouldn't need an extra mando, and C: it wouldn't have people holing out so close to the tee (noise). An alternate basket would go a long way with that hole IMO. Also, I can almost guarantee some whining about the tree in the middle of the fairway for hole #18, the one on the left that leans in and makes the gap (~75-100' from the tee) harder to hit than the achilles heel of the Death Star. We ran into 'Spider Man' out there (one of, if not the course designer) and he said it's about 5600' total, with a proposed par of 60. It's going to super fun, I just hope the chiggers, sand fleas, and other nastys aren't too bad in the Summer.

Latest posts