• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kure Beach, NC

The big question here would be: Why?

Top notch? Sure, go for it.

But "championship caliber"? In Kure Beach? Why? What's the market? I don't get it.

Because there needs to be something else to do at Kure Beach besides go to the Aquarium I guess.

AFAIK, my sources tell me they're still waiting to hear back from the military on how much land they can use. Yeesh.

Because there needs to be something else to do at Kure Beach besides go to the Aquarium I guess.

Yeah, exactly, I don't disagree with that at all. Which is a really good reason to build a rec/intermediate course that would be playable for beginners, kids, and/or people with beach frisbees. You know, something to pique some interest.

It *is* possible to build such a course without it being lame. Though depending on the land available, it might be difficult to do.

Yeah, exactly, I don't disagree with that at all. Which is a really good reason to build a rec/intermediate course that would be playable for beginners, kids, and/or people with beach frisbees. You know, something to pique some interest.

It *is* possible to build such a course without it being lame. Though depending on the land available, it might be difficult to do.

People around here have come to love Castle Hayne so anything less will not be welcomed around here. I for one don't want to see KB turned into another Oak Island. (Dave knows what I'm talking about)

OH And Dave they have a 9 hole out in Rocky Point now. Goomis and I call this course "New Baskets Are Better Then No Baskets"

OH And Dave they have a 9 hole out in Rocky Point now. Goomis and I call this course "New Baskets Are Better Then No Baskets"

:|

How long until Zach steals them for 4 wheelin' and huntin' money?

they have a 9 hole out in Rocky Point now.
Where is Rocky Point? Is this a public course? If so, has it been added to DGCR? If it's not on DGCR would you please post directions? Or better yet, start a new thread about the course in the "Courses in Development" section.

The Rocky Point course mentioned above is at Cape Fear Middle School in Rocky Point on the school's property. It's not worth a trip right now because there's no real tee areas, just baskets set about 150-200 ft from each other.
I spoke to the P.E. teacher who received the grant for the baskets and the course will ultimately be set up for the elementary grade kids (hence the short distances). There's some nice property there for some safari holes. School's out now I guess but please respect this course during school months and play on weekends only.

Has every one seen this? I am puzzled by the 14 holes. It is in the PDGA weekly update. But chipping yard waste would be a good thing.

New disc golf course to help with yard waste
WECT Share
Kure beach, N.C., will soon be home to the area's second public disc golf course, but it should appeal to everyone in the community. According to Mayor Dean Lambeth, the 14-hole course will also serve as a place to dispose of yard waste in an environmentally friendly way. "This will be a place that we can use a chipper to chip up all of the limbs to spread it out over the fairways, enriching the soil making it easier for people to play because they won't be bogged down in any loose pockets of sand," said Lambeth. MORE

Hopefully they are working things out with the military on the additional property needed for the entire 18 and will be able to expand the 14. But I do not see getting any national tourneys with 14 holes.

That is kind of what I'm assuming. I was hoping BroDave or Discjunkie might elaborate on anything they may have heard.

I remembered an email I received in April from Russ and in the email he said that the town wanted to wait to get the property straighten out with the military rather than open an abbreviated layout. I guess they got tired of waiting and decided to go ahead and open the abbreviated layout and finish the remaining holes at a later date. At least I hope that is what it is.

I heard from an associate of mine today and he said that the course is indeed slated to be 14 holes at present and that the town has decided to design it themselves. It seems that the military would not come through with the land use deal so a championship 18 hole course is out of the question. But 14 holes who knows? Oh well I guess I will play a 14 hole course.

More news on the course, from Wilmington's own Star News: http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100730/ARTICLES/100739980?p=1&tc=pg

Michael Jones approached the town last year with the idea and then joined Kure Beach's parks and recreation committee to help the town navigate the process of leasing land from the Army's Military Ocean Terminal at Sunny Point and other procedures. Now, he's building the course and expects it to have a "first toss" ceremony by early fall.

Kure Beach's disc golf course will have 18 holes on a 14-acre course that winds through a wooded area.

"It will definitely be as challenging as Castle Hayne's," Jones said.

As challenging as the Castle? We'll see, Mr. Jones, we'll see.

Also mentions the developing course in Arrowhead Park and a planned new course in Brunswick Nature Park.

The Port City is blowing up y'all.

As challenging as the Castle? We'll see, Mr. Jones, we'll see.

Also mentions the developing course in Arrowhead Park and a planned new course in Brunswick Nature Park.

Those are some mighty big words! We WILL have to see!
It will be cool to see Wilmington get some more courses!

Isn't 14 acres fairly small for 18 holes? sounds like a pitch and putt or a WTF to me.

I could be mistaken, but they were having some trouble (Red tape trouble) getting all of the land due to the fact that some of the land was owned by the military. So perhaps the 14 acres is what is available immediately, and the % that is on Military property is in addition to the 14 acres.

Last I knew, they were going to make it a 14 hole course, until they could get the extra land to complete the 18 holes.

I could be wrong, that is just a thought.

I do not see how they can expect to get any national tour events on a 14 acre course, There is just not enough area to install a championship level course on 14 acres. I have 10 here at the house and am having a hard time getting 9 holes in.

i heard from an associate of mine and they said that the 18-hole course will be built on the 14 acres that is being leased from Sunny Point. The man building the Kure Beach course hopes to have it completed by early fall, but that depends on the town spraying for bugs and ticks. They said there were a lot of ticks in that area, so they wanted to make sure they either burned some underbrush or sprayed out there first.