• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LA Trip

discgolfkyle

Birdie Member
Hi everyone, I'll be staying in Seal Beach for two days and Buena Park at Knott's Berry Farm for four days. I know that Huntington Beach Central Park and La Mirada are both pretty close, but are they worth playing and can they get pretty busy? Is there anything extra I should know about these courses? I already read the reviews. Are there any other courses near there worth playing? Thanks.

I like playing La Mirada. There are two separate courses there as well. There can be a lot of pedestrians on the Lakeside course, but the Backside course is almost always empty. Park by the tennis courts when you get there. Once there, you can get a map of the courses for 25 cents in the pro shop.

And while it is probably 1 hour away, you should try to play Oak Grove DGC in La Canada. It's the first permanent course ever, so the history alone is worth it. Plus it is a really fun course. Try to play with a local though, otherwise the layout can be confusing.

What's your schedule going to be?
Will you have transport? Rental car or something?
Do you wanna play park-style courses or are you looking for something a little more unique?

Both courses shouldn't be too crowded on weekdays. La Mirada really is a must play, especially since you are so close by in Buena Park. However, La Mirada and HB are "park" style courses with green grass and mature trees.

If you have a car: my favorite courses in So Cal are Sky High at Wrightwood and Coyote Lake Casitas in Ventura. Both are rugged western courses and both are about an hour's drive from Knotts.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=83

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1884

Goat Hill in Oceanside would be another great option. Disc Golf on the Ball Golf course with carts and beer!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4372

Send a PM if you want more info or to meet up.

I'll have a car and I'm interested in park courses with GRASS. Haha, I really only play desert courses in Phoenix, but I've played a few grass courses and I love them.

Let me know dates if you want to possibly meet up.

It is a park course where the first nine are short and technical the back nine opens up to some longer holes. Overall I always enjoy a round at El Dorado.

Is it pretty safe and easy to navigate?

El Dorado is a good, safe course and pretty sure the tee signs are up and relatively easy to follow. Parking is right at Hole 1 which throws close to sidewalk that leads to the pro shop.

You should let us know when you plan on being here in LA some so of us locals can meet you out and be your guide.

OP, sry to highjack your thread but how can you find out where other LA players are from? I find myself playing Veterans and Oak on my own a few times and I'd like some company once in a while.

Again, sry OP, but if it helps, Verdugo is a fine course but I believe way out of the way for where you plan on staying. El Dorado would be your best bet, one of the ones I've been meaning to go based on our reviews here.

OP, sry to highjack your thread but how can you find out where other LA players are from? I find myself playing Veterans and Oak on my own a few times and I'd like some company once in a while.

Again, sry OP, but if it helps, Verdugo is a fine course but I believe way out of the way for where you plan on staying. El Dorado would be your best bet, one of the ones I've been meaning to go based on our reviews here.

At the top of the page, you'll see a tab for "Members".
Click on that and you'll see a listing for "Members Near Me".... Click that and you'll see who is close to you

When are you heading out there, discgolfkyle? I'm in Long Beach for the weekend of Oct. 12th-13th. Looking to play La Mirada and probably Huntington, too. From the reviews of the courses in the area, it seems like those are favored over El Dorado.

When are you heading out there, discgolfkyle? I'm in Long Beach for the weekend of Oct. 12th-13th. Looking to play La Mirada and probably Huntington, too. From the reviews of the courses in the area, it seems like those are favored over El Dorado.

Just start a thread and us locals will take it from there... :)

Thanks, you guys rock! I'll start a thread closer to that weekend. Oh and I think Lion owes me a tour of an unlisted SoCal course =)

Latest posts