• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lake Stevens DGC (WA)

InnocentCrook

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
What's the deal with the baskets at this place? Course page says it uses "Catching Targets Park Series", with a different target format on each hole. There is only one picture of a basket (hole 5) in the media files and it's a strange looking contraption, but not awful.

45a05158.jpg

What do the rest of the baskets out there look like? Is the only the difference the layout or lack of chains?

Other than that, it looks like a solid course that I look forward to playing, hopefully this week some time.

I've played that course and it's a hoot but the baskets are a pain in the butt! Are designed so they can be anywhere from difficult to impossible to get into from the wrong angle. If not familiar with course it is way too easy to lay-up to an impossible putt. The one shown is one of the easiest, hard to hit from either side but front or back should drop in. See Pole in back? Some of them will have fine chain netting attached to it to close off back side too. I gotta hit this course this summer! :)

Just scrolled through those pictures those look like a PIA. But maybe fun and the course looks like a disceater from the pics.

I played it once. It's a cool course, worth a stop if you're in the area.

The baskets are all shaped the same, like a globe. They do have different chain configuartions though, there are a couple holes that have one "quadrant" blocked out so you can't make it in that side. If I remember correctly, some of the baskets had two full crossbars (the picture here has 1.5), with a row of chains hanging down from each. You'll have to dodge the crossbars which adds a little challenge, personally I thought it was pretty fun.

Course is less of a disc eater in later summer after the bogs have dried some. Course is great fun, played it a couple of times now and look forward to hitting it again.

What is considered late summer around here? I'm looking forward to checking it out, but would I be better off waiting a little longer to allow it to dry out a bit more?

Prob still a little boggy as has been a damp year, but there are sticks to fish out discs and logs to walk across. Just don't spike hyzer into one! :) I've usually played it in mid to late August and was very dry. None of them are too deep, and are always an OB even if dry. I'ld give it a try. SillyBiz lives in area, may play guide.

pretty crazy, next time i am in the seattle area i am going to drive up there, wonder how long its been there, i used to work in everett about 14 years ago and wasnt aware of its existence...

Lake Stevens rocks!!! Playing a tournament (non pdga) there tomorrow, should be tons of fun. The Monday night doubles is always fun with good people. I live about 15 minutes from there and am a willing guide. Baskets rock! :)

Those baskets would be ok with a native guide, but last time I played they cost me 3 or 4 strokes because I layed up on wrong side. Is a way cool course, tho, highly recommend it. :) Will have to keep Monday night doubles in mind. Will try to make it if I can get away one of these weeks.

Freds baskets rock !
Placement is everything at Lake Stevens, you can be 15 feet from the basket but still have a nearly impossible shot.
These targets add an extra challenge to this short and technical course, making it worth repeat visits.
Make sure you play from all three sets of tees for the full L.S. experience.

Had plenty of time today and the weather looked nice, so I drove the hour or so up to Lake Stevens figuring I'd hit up a few 9 holers on the way home. I played through the course from the red tees for the first time through, and the blues the second time through. Very interesting course and it's in a beautiful canopy of trees.

Ended up meeting drkstr by chance and played the second round with him and two of his friends. Great group, had a blast. Definitely gonna head back up that way again.

Played Ferguson, Silver Lake - Excalibur, and Howling Coyote (twice) on the way home. Made for a nice day of course bagging!

Worn out for tomorrow or warmed up? :) You see why I really like that course.

Definitely warmed up. :thmbup: None of the courses I played had any long holes. The fastest disc I threw yesterday was a Leopard, maybe my Teebird once or twice.

Looking forward to Lakewood today.

I really love Lake Stevens! Most people just hate the baskets, but I adore them. What most people don't seem to understand/appreciate is the fact that it's a short, technical course. If the baskets were "normal", then it would truly be a pitch and putt for most holes. The baskets force accuracy on the approach to offer a clear line into the target.

People that complain about the baskets (in my opinion) don't know how to have fun. More so, I think they are wussies :)

I agree, Todd. I also think the people that talk negatively about the baskets and/or trees are people who are without strategy. I've seen people take double digits scores in tournaments there because they keep trying the same hyzer approach to a guarded basket on a hill over and over and then whine about "getting screwed" when the disc rolls away over and over. :doh:

At first I was a bit annoyed by them to be honest. Playing through with drkstr and his crew the second time around was much better because they were able to assist me in which side of the basket I wanted to be on when a specific placement was necessary.

That said, the upright supports on those things are downright unforgiving. I know I three putted several times because my putt was just barely off, hit one of the uprights, and rolled away. Just have to shrug your shoulders, and go for it again. Plus, the sound they make is worse than the Innova "chastity belt".

Last edited:
Yes, I have lamented about the "chastity belt" that you speak of. I have learned to look at the chain links instead of the "belt". If I were to describe the baskets at Stevens, I would tell people to expect to make "3-dimensional" putts, one's that must loft, curve, or come in at an extreme angle at times. Other putts are just plain tight (small window through a quadrant). I think it requires a little MORE skill. Honestly, when putting on most courses, not all putts are open straight daggers to a wide open basket. Sometimes, you need to go over or around obstacles (on greens that are guarded), and courses that don't provide at least a little of that are lacking in my opinion.

I get mad when people (particularly Open players) say the baskets aren't fair. Well, everyone is playing them, and you are the one with skillz - so make a good upshot, make your silly putt, and stop yur whining!

Yes, I have lamented about the "chastity belt" that you speak of. I have learned to look at the chain links instead of the "belt". If I were to describe the baskets at Stevens, I would tell people to expect to make "3-dimensional" putts, one's that must loft, curve, or come in at an extreme angle at times. Other putts are just plain tight (small window through a quadrant). I think it requires a little MORE skill. Honestly, when putting on most courses, not all putts are open straight daggers to a wide open basket. Sometimes, you need to go over or around obstacles (on greens that are guarded), and courses that don't provide at least a little of that are lacking in my opinion.

I get mad when people (particularly Open players) say the baskets aren't fair. Well, everyone is playing them, and you are the one with skillz - so make a good upshot, make your silly putt, and stop yur whining!

Trust me, I throw putts high on other baskets too. They just don't make that deflating metal "thunk" sound.

The 3-dimension putting description is dead on.

I was thinking about how cool the Lake Stevens baskets are, and how if you could set up the basket so it could be simply rotated on occasion you could change the way the hole plays without needing additional sleeves. Even better if they could show the direction of the basket when applicable, on the tee sign.