• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 Trident.

By the grace of something above, I found my Trident! Took off after a big overhand and I thought it was lost in dead sage. Went back to the course a few hours later with fresh eyes, and BAM! There it was, sitting on the other side of the fence where I least expected it. Pumped to get it back!

I am a XXX guy for my thumbers and utility duties, but picked up a Trident this week to see if it will help me on shorter thumbers as I am having trouble ranging XXXs on some holes. I also thought it might be good for some approaches and headwind shots that my Pures won't like.

Have you been out throwing that Trident Sloppy, wondering how you like it?

I've thrown it a few times. Had to travel for work last week, and didn't play at all. I think it is a good disc so far, but not sure I have a spot for it in the bag. I may be better off just using my XXX. I think I have more control and feel for it since I've used it so long. The Trident has a different path in the air than my XXX. Not sure I am good enough to learn, control and use them both. Same with backhand. Trident has a different path, but i think I can make the XXX work just as well. I'll give it some more time, but it is looking like a backup disc for me.

Some one said the trident has a L flight where it goes straight and a hard fade. The xxx has a c flight never really reaching straight. I have found this to be true of the two molds. For me in that slot the trident works better. The trident is way more workable for me than the xxx. The XXX does skip better and that is very useful for some shots. I may just have to try them both in the bag. Anyone have a xxx for me?!

Go with a lighter weight GL XXX. Something like a 165ish. They tend to fly straighter than their super overstable Opto counterpart, but still finishes with that strong dive. VERY useful disc.

Also, keep your Trident out of pine trees. They like to hold onto them just long enough for you to spend money on new plastic and then they spit them out. Just ask onemilemore... :p

Go with a lighter weight GL XXX. Something like a 165ish. They tend to fly straighter than their super overstable Opto counterpart, but still finishes with that strong dive. VERY useful disc.

Also, keep your Trident out of pine trees. They like to hold onto them just long enough for you to spend money on new plastic and then they spit them out. Just ask onemilemore... :p

I think it was just karma's way of telling me I needed to stimulate the economy (or work on my tomahawks). I did like your xxx though, so I am excited to give it a workout.

Just got one of these yesterday and got a couple throws with it in the back yard. It was longer than I expected. I was expecting crazy overstable but it was straight for a long time then dumped off. I agree with the L vs C flight path. Don't know if it will make the bag but it will need more throws

Picked up a Trident recently because... well... I had money and it was there. Latitude hasn't done me wrong yet, so I figured why not? If I can consistently make it hit the line I did during field work last night it will definitely have a spot in my bag. The skip at the end of the line is insane though, so wooded courses? Probably not. I'm looking forward to thumbing it though. Just not sure if it will cause too much overlap with my Predator/Firebird and Pain or else I would have already sworn it in to a permanent spot in the bag.

new line up of tridents.

I picked up a few of the new Trident colors recently, both Gold-Line and Sparkle Opto, and this run of plastic seems to have a slightly different flight path. The Gold-Line is much less over-stable, and has a bit more of an "S" curve flight path. Seems to fly farther too.

My Tridents:

edit

Attachments

• tridents.jpg
    tridents.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 81
I picked up a few of the new Trident colors recently, both Gold-Line and Sparkle Opto, and this run of plastic seems to have a slightly different flight path. The Gold-Line is much less over-stable, and has a bit more of an "S" curve flight path. Seems to fly farther too.

This news is disturbing to me... The best thing about the trident is that it's so short and predictable with a driver feel. If they made it less stable it won't be the same awesomeness... :\

A question for the Lat64 throwers.
For anyone that has thrown LAt64 XXX, Trident, and Gateway's HPP Spirit,

For my super meat hook utility disc, I use Gateway's HPP Spirit. I love the super hard fade of this disc; however I'm not a true fan of their plastics.

How does the XXX and Trident compare to Gateway's HPP Spirit in terms of cranking over hard fade???

For reference I throw RHBH 300-350.

Just picked up my first ever Opto Line disc. It's a sparkle Opto Trident. This thing feels ridiculously good in the hand, and I love the stamp. Can't wait to get out and throw it.

I have been considering the Trident in order to knock another non-Swedish disc out of my bag, the Whippet.

After reading this thread, I'm not sure it is a good idea. I throw a Glow Champion Whippet (Asia Open) and don't like the fact that it will be expensive to replace. But it does exactly what I want, and that is meat-hook! I have even started throwing it for short approaches I used to use my Pure on, because the Whippet is just so dang predictable that I can place it accurately.

From what I see in this thread, it appears that the Trident may have too much of a "L" flight for my liking. Is this also true when it is powered down for 100-150 ft. shots? I really love the "C" that my Whippet provides on those shots. I almost never throw the Whippet off the teepad so I'm not really sure what type of flight it has when thrown full power.

^^ Just try the Trident out. It's a good excuse to buy new plastic. It is still very overstable at 100 to 150 feet. Plus, IMO, it's always better to throw stock plastic when possible.

I have been considering the Trident in order to knock another non-Swedish disc out of my bag, the Whippet.

After reading this thread, I'm not sure it is a good idea. I throw a Glow Champion Whippet (Asia Open) and don't like the fact that it will be expensive to replace. But it does exactly what I want, and that is meat-hook! I have even started throwing it for short approaches I used to use my Pure on, because the Whippet is just so dang predictable that I can place it accurately.

From what I see in this thread, it appears that the Trident may have too much of a "L" flight for my liking. Is this also true when it is powered down for 100-150 ft. shots? I really love the "C" that my Whippet provides on those shots. I almost never throw the Whippet off the teepad so I'm not really sure what type of flight it has when thrown full power.

The whippet is between the Trident and the XXX, though it's probably closer to the XXX from my experience. The Trident is driver shaped, but its speed is more middish, so if you're used to somethign with a fairway driver feel the XXX will be better for you. Both are very overstable, but the xxx will begin fading faster and give you that C shaped flight you like the whippet for. The Trident will go straight for a little while then dive for the ground. It won't fade as far as the XXX and it won't skip as far either. The Trident is best for shots that need to go straight, then fade a bit and sit down. The XXX is better for distance on a sharp turn. Basically, while they have very similar numbers, the two discs are useful for different shots.

Like jtreadwell said, if you're looking for more of a "C" shaped line, you might want to lean more towards the XXX over the Trident.

The trident is very midrange in straight line distance, but as KaBong and Dookville stated, the vertical distance you get with it is unparalleled. This is "the" spike hyzer disc. A whippet is super beefy and a XXX is super beefy, but they don't hold the consistant spike as well as the Trident. I can get a trident almost on a vertical angle and have it drop nearly straight down. The XXX, FB, Pred, Whippet, Viper types of disc all have a tendancy to drift to the left before dropping (RHBH)

By pure coincidence, I was able to trade for one of these yesterday just hours after asking about it in this thread.

It definitely doesn't replace my Whippet. I ordered a Sinus instead hopefully as a Whippet replacement for lofted hyzer approach shots, and I already have a XXX so I can probably take the Whippet out of my bag depending on the predicatability/performance of the Sinus.

In terms of the Trident, I got a 174g Gold Line and let me just say that this is the disc that I hoped that the Pain would be. I don't think the Opto Pain is quite (over)stable enough and rarely throw it when I'm not in the woods. It just doesn't provide either enough distance or enough fade for me to put it to use in a more open fairway. The Trident appears to have the same distance issue as the Pain, however it fades out a good 5-10 ft. more than the Pain which I love. I'm trying to adopt the philosophy of taking the higher percentage placement shot (hyzer) rather than throwing on a straight line to the basket. The Trident seems to do that better than the Pain. I will still use the Pain in the woods though when too much hyzer is not practical.

Last edited:
Thread from the dead!

I just got a 168g GL Trident for Christmas, and, man, am I a fan. I looks like it could replace my Hornet for OS mid, my Banshee for OH and also become my FH roller of choice. Of the discs I had on my Christmas wishlist, I thought this would be the least useful. Loving it so far!