• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 Trident.

"Gacy" is a term my DG buddies and I use for super crazy overstable mean discs.

I don't know if I have a freak Trident or XXX, but my XXX is waaaaay more overstable than my Trident. My Trident flies pretty straight then has its fade at the end, almost like a new Champ Teebird.

I don't remember who explained it to me, but it was right - the Trident (or mine, at least) flies in the shape of a tall L, whereas the XXX flies in a curved shape, like a C.

I'm pretty darn sure that was me, actually, and I also use the bishop vs. knight analogy for them as well. Do note that I am talking about calm conditions since both a headwind and tailwind will change flight characteristics. Obviously if you're throwing them both on <200' shots they'll both have immediate fade, but given enough power the Trident will definitely be straighter longer - similar to the Banshee/Firebird relationship [Except both Lat64 discs are more overstable than their Innova counterparts].

Most likely a freak. I beat the hell out of my Trident from all the thumbers I threw with it and I have to lay into it with some considerable over the top OAT to make it fly straight (or at least the appearance of it) for any period of time. Because it does not glide as well as the XXX, I did not like doing this because most of the time I am just throwing it into the ground. What it was best at was spike hyzering for placement, not distance.

I'm not sure if it was a freak, Opto xXxs are REALLY overstable. What distances were you throwing those two?

I just ordered one of these. It looks like it will pair up with the XxX pretty well. Sounds like it has a neutral HSS and a high LSS so straight to a heavy fade? I need something like this as my XXX is a pure meathook utility disc.

I just ordered one of these. It looks like it will pair up with the XxX pretty well. Sounds like it has a neutral HSS and a high LSS so straight to a heavy fade? I need something like this as my XXX is a pure meathook utility disc.

That's about right. If you wanted to drive 250 - 300ft straight in a field with both of these discs, you'd need to throw the trident full power and flat. It may turn slightly with he-man power/snap, but should stay very straight and hit the dirt as soon as it slows down, which is pretty fast due to the blunt nose. The XXX, most folks will need to throw on a decent anhyzer with power and flex it for distance.

Got my Trident in the mail yesterday, a nice blurple opaque Opto. The nose on this thing just screams beefy. Can't wait to try it today!

That's about right. If you wanted to drive 250 - 300ft straight in a field with both of these discs, you'd need to throw the trident full power and flat. It may turn slightly with he-man power/snap, but should stay very straight and hit the dirt as soon as it slows down, which is pretty fast due to the blunt nose. The XXX, most folks will need to throw on a decent anhyzer with power and flex it for distance.

I use the XxX strictly for fh or oh. Ive needed something like the trident sounds for awhile for backhands.

I ordered a GL 169g Trident. Since im looking for it to be straightish when first released i figured a lighter GL would be preferable to a mid 170's opto.

I use the XxX strictly for fh or oh. Ive needed something like the trident sounds for awhile for backhands.

I ordered a GL 169g Trident. Since im looking for it to be straightish when first released i figured a lighter GL would be preferable to a mid 170's opto.
I have a 170 gold line and Its exactly what you are looking for i promise:eek:
gold lines still have plenty of beef for ya!

Another thread back from the dead. Sorry, but at least I am using the search function!

Looking at the Trident as a possible utility disc for overhands and skip shots. Any advice on what weight to snag one in? I generally throw drivers in the 164-168 range, but I am not sure how this one will behave at that weight. Gracias.

There are some light weight Tridemphs out there right now OneMile. I picked up and Opto at 164g's, thing is mondo stable and just takes a pounding, zero HSS. I think the most impressive thing is that the late fade isn't just a tip over and die fade, it stays up for a litlle while before dropping in.

My Trident was awesome. Notice that I said "was." Overhanded it into some thick brush, and adios. Didn't even have a chance to put my name on it!

There are some light weight Tridemphs out there right now OneMile. I picked up and Opto at 164g's, thing is mondo stable and just takes a pounding, zero HSS. I think the most impressive thing is that the late fade isn't just a tip over and die fade, it stays up for a litlle while before dropping in.

They are murder for 'boat flare' hyzer bombs. :D;):D

I have no idea what that means. Explain please. My new Trident is going out for a stroll tomorrow with his brothers, and I may just let him fly.

they are just exceptionally good for spike hyzers, just being a dork as usual.

Actually endless uses as all manner of utility fh/bh/oh disc

I am a XXX guy for my thumbers and utility duties, but picked up a Trident this week to see if it will help me on shorter thumbers as I am having trouble ranging XXXs on some holes. I also thought it might be good for some approaches and headwind shots that my Pures won't like.

I have no idea what that means. Explain please. My new Trident is going out for a stroll tomorrow with his brothers, and I may just let him fly.

Basically a spike hyzer Sloppy. The boat flare reference has to do with what it looks like when you release it from your hand, shoots way up in the air. The Tridemph has a pretty small rim, so its pretty easy to get a ton of snap and launch huge spike hyzers. <----Boat Flare

Like what I did there Bonger?:D

Mine replaced my gator...
It just gave me more versatility with a short (sub 200') meathook...
Great for spikes, flicks, and skip shots... I have other discs for thumbers...