• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude Overmolds

Some of it is number fudge, a lot of it is the discs being more understable than the numbers suggest so that when normal players can actually get a full flight, they have way more glide compared to their closest rivals. Also some of it is what you're comparing against...if you try to put a Core/Claymore against a Buzzz, because they are similar in a lot of ways, it is pretty obvious those Lat discs have way more glide, but at the cost of ranging. The River is a very glidey disc, but still the correct Teebird gets similar distance and is more predictable. I thought the Saint was also super glidey but then realized Sidewinders do the same...so in that case I feel marketing got me.

I like a lot of Trilogy discs and in general I feel like they lean a little more towards the glide rather than speed side, like Innova discs tend to...at least out of the box. But if you throw Pro/Gstar or have a beat Innova disc it's not like Lat has some ingredient that the other manufacturer's can't match.

We are digressing...but! I think a lot of the belief that trilogy = glidey is because some of their early molds had a lot of glide. The river has tons of glide, so does the havoc, and those are two of their earlier molds. I feel the same way about the warship as well which was Westside's first midrange iirc. Escape is really glidey, that was one of the pilot's for DD

It may not be as true now for their entire lineup, but I don't think it's fair to say the belief is sheer marketing and fabricated

It may not be as true now for their entire lineup, but I don't think it's fair to say the belief is sheer marketing and fabricated

Agreed...I am just trying to say it's not like they have technology that other companies don't in producing glidey discs. But if I have a low ceiling mid or fairway shot I'm likely reaching for a Core or River because I know the glide will help carry me way down there.

So the overmold thing I think will add a different aspect to their lineup. I'm pretty interested to see if it has the same impact as MVP's characteristics on the flight.

Well this thread has turned into a dumpster fire. Can we get a mod to clean this up?

Overmolds arent new, by the way. MVP was hardly the first, they were just the first to do it right. When Innova released the Atlas and then the Nova, it seemed like they were going a totally different route than MVP/Axiom and doing it, honestly, for looks.

So now it appears Lat64 is going more MVP-style. Id be lying if I said I wasnt intrigued.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Trilogy has more glide then a lot of discs from a lot of other makers?

I mean I thought the Discraft Heat was easily as glidey as any of the Trilogy discs and in better plastic.

Yeah, aside from the River and Fuse I have never really found the super glide from Trilogy. My VIP Sword is crazy glidey but also much less stable than it says. All my Giants (I bag three) have standard OS driver glide.

Star_Trek_-_In_Before_the_Lock.gif

Uhh, you're joking, right? Must be forgetting this gem:

Really added a lot to the Assassin OM thread, don't you think? Talk about fostering discussion!

</sarcasm>

Yes, the MVP/Axiom fanbros show up to take a dump on any competition in the overmold market. I find the severe negative overreactions funny in a sad sort of way. The blatant haterism is a tacit recognition that their small world has been shaken to the core by the idea that **gasp!** other companies can make overmold discs as well! I guess when you're backing a one-trick pony, it's uncomfortable to realize that other ponies can do that trick.

Its the same old crap from gateway. They have been working on overmolds for a while now. Same with drivers etc which all are just recycled old stuff. They rip off art as well and sell at wholesale to anyone with $.

Sooooo... Nothing like latitude'

I am not saying I wouldn't throw Trilogy (I am probably going to grab a Slammer) but they have to be the most overhyped discs. I mean some of the plastics are nice and some aren't anything special. They aren't any more consistent then Innova or Discraft or anyone else. They haven't done anything revolutionary to develop disc technology. But there is so much nut swinging about them it is uber annoying.

damn, there's so much awesome going on in this thread...

dude, everyone is more consistent than Innova.

ppl are right about Trilogy's numbers making discs look glidey, but I will say this - glide is almost entirely a matter of how slow the disc can get before fade kicks in. Trilogy has a few designs that are alien technology level of fadeless. Im lookin at you, Rivers and Saints.

I just want to know why anyone but Mike C who obviously throws 700' is throwing MVP if it takes an arm to get them to go anywhere? If you throw 300', maybe take all the glide you can get? :)

ftr the only MVP disc I bag is an Orbital, and that has plenty of "glide" and has almost no power requirement. Just, you know.. pouring fuel..

To me the MVP overmold has been the best, the Innova compus points were a miss. The Atlas flys pretty well and I don't hate the Nova, its just not a type of disc I usually use. Those darn little pegs on the inside feel weird to me though.

The RIP Garboid in one of the runs that was made by Gateway I think had a great OM. The old runs of really hard plastic were hard to throw, but the softer ones were very Anode like.

Everyone who is intellagent knows that Lat 64 will only make crappy overmold discs and Mvp has no skill or knowledge to make single mold discs. And I challenge anyone who thinks otherwise to send all of your PM's to someone other than me.

As to the idea of them doing OM versions of existing molds...seems unlikely. Like for a Pure, for example, it's not like they can just mold up some Pures then attach OMs to them.

Zam or someone can correct me, but we're talking about having to build new molds for this line, to make cores and OMs, no?

So, I suppose they could design a core/OM set up that mimics the profile of the Pure as close as possible. I guess my comment is, would they really want to?

damn, there's so much awesome going on in this thread...

dude, everyone is more consistent than Innova.

I am just going off my personal experience. The Innova molded discs I have thrown a lot of have been more consistent for the most part (Polecat, Sonic, Viper, Gazelle, OLF) then the Trilogy molds I tried a decent amount (Escape, Warship and Underworld).

Everyone who is intellagent knows that Lat 64 will only make crappy overmold discs and Mvp has no skill or knowledge to make single mold discs. And I challenge anyone who thinks otherwise to send all of your PM's to someone other than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwnODNJ_6Eg

Last edited:
As to the idea of them doing OM versions of existing molds...seems unlikely. Like for a Pure, for example, it's not like they can just mold up some Pures then attach OMs to them.

Zam or someone can correct me, but we're talking about having to build new molds for this line, to make cores and OMs, no?

So, I suppose they could design a core/OM set up that mimics the profile of the Pure as close as possible. I guess my comment is, would they really want to?

If you're careful, I think you can just cut the rims off of 2 Pures (different colors), swap them, and glue the mis-matched colored pieces together.

Blamo: 2 overmold pures.

That's not true at all. They already had the Ion and the factory had been overmolding for decades. They allowed him up to see the factory and discuss making things for him, but his methods of disc making were not relevant to how MVP was making discs. There are PDGA forum posts where MVP is showing the Ion and Dave offers to come show them how he does it. Those methods are great for the Wizards we know and love, but he had zero impact on MVP as is claimed by a lot of Gateway fans. He talked about a lot of ideas that hadn't been implemented on the PDGA forum, including weight distribution, but he did not show MVP how to make their discs or invent the methods MVP uses to mold a nose cone overmold. There are some extremely knowledgeable techs at Maple Valley who deserve a lot more credit for those methods than a dude who brainstormed to a forum.

I was going from what I had been told by a couple different people that were "in" with Gateway at the time. But I've also been around here long enough to believe & respect what you post so I have no reason to doubt you

Last edited:
I am just going off my personal experience. The Innova molded discs I have thrown a lot of have been more consistent for the most part (Polecat, Sonic, Viper, Gazelle, OLF) then the Trilogy molds I tried a decent amount (Escape, Warship and Underworld).

Well your Innova molds listed are mostly all really old school and made for DX type plastic. I don't know if that makes a difference but there's a trend there.

Who has time for fun? I prefer a prolonged period of suffering followed by a period of reflection about the suffering I just went through. Glidey discs? Overmolds? What is this Euro Disney or something? All of my discs are neutral flight, base plastic and the color grey.

If you're careful, I think you can just cut the rims off of 2 Pures (different colors), swap them, and glue the mis-matched colored pieces together.

Blamo: 2 overmold pures.

Ooooohhhh, Zero Hard flight plate with Zero Soft rim. :eek: :clap:

Attachments

• PureOvermold.jpg
    PureOvermold.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts