• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Least Favorite course rated 4/5 or better?

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
For me, it's RL Smith.

Over the years I've watched numerous people visit Charlotte, a mecca for disc golf, and come away with RL as their favorite course.

I've watched people rate it 4, 4.5, 5...thinking, why?

RL currently has a 4.15 rating. Nevin, Renny Gold, and Hornets Nest, Charlottes 3 premiere courses in my eyes, currently are within .10 points of that rating.

How?

I just don't see it.

I've made repeated trips to RL Smith, always fueled by a 4/5+ review. Maybe I'm missing something, I'd think.

Nope.

I played it again today, and still, I don't see it.

To me the course is in the 3.25-3.75 range.

It has some tricky holes, but it isn't as challenging as the 3 other courses I mentioned. It has some neat holes, but none of them are as memorable as say, #18 at Renny Gold, #2 at Renny Gold (One of the coolest upshots ever IMO), #18 at Nevin, etc.

Half the holes are what I consider gimmie holes. some of them don't even feel like very good golf holes, they feel more or less like they're there to fill in the space.

I see lots of land that looks like it would have made for more interesting golf when I play here. I wonder why it wasn't used?

This course never establishes much of a rhythm IMO. Its a weird mix of easy, gimmie birdies, then tricky Par 3's, with 3 easy Par 4's thrown in the mix. It never really feels easy or challenging, it just hovers between the two.

Every time I come here, I walk away with cut up shins, tons of bug bites, soaked in sweat. The first few holes are just open enough to let you get soaked in sweat as you're exposed to the warm Charlotte sun, then the up and down elevation on the shaded #4-18 makes it tough to get dry.

The rough here is abysmal. I'm talking there are holes you can ace run (#3, #18, etc.), drive 10' deep of the basket, and never see your disc again. It's just dumb how bad certain holes are.

There are spiderwebs everywhere. Combine that with the terrible rough and the wooded nature of this course, and even if you don't throw into the rough someone in your group is bound to. Rounds at RL always take a while because someone always loses a disc in the rough, and someone always throws into the stream on #4, etc.

I've given this course so many chances but frankly I just don't see the appeal. I live within a half hour drive and play RL less than once a year.

If I want a quick, easy to play 18 hole course, I'll go to Renske or Winget. If I want to be challenged, I'll go to Nevin or Renny Gold. RL falls in a weird gray area where its not a quick, convenient to play course like Winget or Kilborne, but its not as challenging at Charlottes best courses.

So RL is my pick. Its rated the same (essentially) as the best Charlotte has to offer, when its my 6th or 7th favorite course within Charlotte's 485 loop. IMO Renny Gold, Nevin and Hornets Nest are clearly a cut above RL, but for some reason there has never been any scoring separation between the 4 courses over the past 3 years.

Just don't get it. RL isn't a bad course by any standard, but its completely insane to me that its rated the same as Nevin, Hornets Nest and Renny Gold. Its more tedious to play and less challenging.

Last edited:
Meyer Broadway in three rivers MI is mine. The bones of these two courses are spectacular they could easily be the best golf in the area. However upkeep of the courses is abysmal if the fairway gets mowed during the summer it is no wider than the lawnmower used. This makes the two courses unplayable for much of year. Really I want to like these courses but with the immense frustration of lost discs and time wasted searching for them I really don't understand why people go back.

For me, it's RL Smith.

Over the years I've watched numerous people visit Charlotte, a mecca for disc golf, and come away with RL as their favorite course.

Just don't get it. RL isn't a bad course by any standard, but its completely insane to me that its rated the same as Nevin, Hornets Nest and Renny Gold. Its more tedious to play and less challenging.

Funny you should say that...
When I saw the title to this post, I was thinking, what is RL Smith rated?
Played it once, didn't like it. Left it and went to play Bradford and had a blast.
Don't see why it gets the ratings it does. So many other courses in Charlotte that are better.

Langley Pond (currently 4.71, nearing the threshold to contend for the Top 10)

Though perhaps a bit unfairly; I've only played it once, and under somewhat adverse conditions, and only played the long tees for which I'm ill-suited. I need to play it again before I pass final judgment.

I don't mean to trash it; it's a very good course, very challenging. But after a rash of 5.0 reviews, I expected something dazzling, in league with the other courses I consider 5s.

By the way, guys, I played R.L. Smith once and loved it. It's a pretty place and has a high percentage of fun shots. It's not Renny or Nevin---which I also love---it's in a different category. But I really enjoyed playing it. And you'll love Langley Pond.

Maple Hill.

Beautiful property, greater people, totally deserving of the rating and rep it has. I have a great time every time I'm there, and I recommend it to anyone who's going to be in the area. I'm just not as in love with it as most everyone else. It's not like I'd ever say no to playing there, but if I'm nearby and have time for one round, it wouldn't be my first choice (maybe not my second or third either, depending on how "nearby" is defined).

Again, great place just not high up on my favorites list.

Winter Park, Kewaunee, WI rated 4.41

I like the course, but I didn't love it. There's a few cool shots, I like the lettered holes in the middle and the holes in the crevice towards the end, and who doesn't love a long downhill shot.

But, it was overgrown when we played (July-prime discing month for the midwest), holes seemed to follow the runs up the hill, and it just seemed like a course waiting for a redesign.

Silver Creek, 30-1 hr to the south and of course Rollin Ridge are much better destinations; Silver Creek is a 4.09 and Rollin Ridge, of course is a 4.83.

Idlewild.

Good course, great maybe. But its not a 4.76.
A 3.76 would be more accurate.

I also second Morley in SD. Good, but 3.75 seems too high.

For me, it's RL Smith.

RL currently has a 4.15 rating. Nevin, Renny Gold, and Hornets Nest, Charlottes 3 premiere courses in my eyes, currently are within .10 points of that rating.

How?

I just don't see it.

I've made repeated trips to RL Smith, always fueled by a 4/5+ review. Maybe I'm missing something, I'd think.

Nope.

I played it again today, and still, I don't see it.

To me the course is in the 3.25-3.75 range.

It has some tricky holes, but it isn't as challenging as the 3 other courses I mentioned. It has some neat holes, but none of them are as memorable as say, #18 at Renny Gold, #2 at Renny Gold (One of the coolest upshots ever IMO), #18 at Nevin, etc.

Half the holes are what I consider gimmie holes. some of them don't even feel like very good golf holes, they feel more or less like they're there to fill in the space.

I see lots of land that looks like it would have made for more interesting golf when I play here. I wonder why it wasn't used?

This course never establishes much of a rhythm IMO. Its a weird mix of easy, gimmie birdies, then tricky Par 3's, with 3 easy Par 4's thrown in the mix. It never really feels easy or challenging, it just hovers between the two.

Every time I come here, I walk away with cut up shins, tons of bug bites, soaked in sweat. The first few holes are just open enough to let you get soaked in sweat as you're exposed to the warm Charlotte sun, then the up and down elevation on the shaded #4-18 makes it tough to get dry.

The rough here is abysmal. I'm talking there are holes you can ace run (#3, #18, etc.), drive 10' deep of the basket, and never see your disc again. It's just dumb how bad certain holes are.

There are spiderwebs everywhere. Combine that with the terrible rough and the wooded nature of this course, and even if you don't throw into the rough someone in your group is bound to. Rounds at RL always take a while because someone always loses a disc in the rough, and someone always throws into the stream on #4, etc.

I've given this course so many chances but frankly I just don't see the appeal. I live within a half hour drive and play RL less than once a year.

If I want a quick, easy to play 18 hole course, I'll go to Renske or Winget. If I want to be challenged, I'll go to Nevin or Renny Gold. RL falls in a weird gray area where its not a quick, convenient to play course like Winget or Kilborne, but its not as challenging at Charlottes best courses.

So RL is my pick. Its rated the same (essentially) as the best Charlotte has to offer, when its my 6th or 7th favorite course within Charlotte's 485 loop. IMO Renny Gold, Nevin and Hornets Nest are clearly a cut above RL, but for some reason there has never been any scoring separation between the 4 courses over the past 3 years.

Totally agree. To me Nevin is far better than RL Smith and the best course in Charlotte. RL Smith is the most overrated course in Charlotte and Goat Island the most underrated in the area.

Champion Ridge in Starkville MS rated 3.86. 9 holer that was hard to navigate and didn't really have much to offer in my mind. I have no desire to play it again

Knob Hill for me. I've played it twice and didn't like it either time. I know it's a great course, and I should love it. I just don't. At all. Maybe third time will be the charm.

I just looked through the 4+ courses that I've played and I don't think any are significantly overrated. I enjoyed all of these courses with the possible exception of West Lake Park and Idlewild. Not to say that they are overrated, I was just in way over my head with both courses when I played them a few years back. I didn't really enjoy playing either because I was getting my arse handed to me.

So if the OPs question is what is your least favorite 4+; my answer is Idlewild.
If the question is what is the most overrated 4+ that you have played; my answer is none. The DGCR average ratings seem appropriate for all the 4+ courses that I've played.

I guess Idlewild is only course I've played that would qualify. Lincoln Ridge and Mt Airy are just too much fun IMO. I don't think Idlewild is overrated, and its not like I dislike the course as much as just despise a couple of the holes out there.

Hole 6 is just ridiculously hard. The tee shot is so challenging for my skill level. Usually it takes me 4 shots just to see the basket.

Hole 12 is a short hole that eats me alive. Might get a 2 on it 20% of the time.

Hole 14long.... I hate this hole with an undying passion. Took a 10 on it once during a tourney 1 shot off the lead with 5 to play... I went crazy and blew the whole tourney, and didn't even cash.

Last edited:
RL Smith is great, y'all be trippin'. Smith is like a golden god compared to the courses I'm about to throw under the bus.

Hands down, my least favorite is Patriot DGC in Triad Park. What an overrated, steaming turd this course is. Complete misuse of available land, really stupid wooded holes and boring open field holes over and over. But oh hell, it has bag hangers so give it a 4/5. :rolleyes:

Falling Creek Park in VA is also incredibly boring and amazingly rated high. Just wide open and boring, mixed with disc eating juniper trees. Tyger River is also vastly overrated unless you like pitch and putt for 9 holes followed by endless wallowing through weeds for the next 9 holes.

I must be much more of a masses kinda guy. So many courses I really like being put down. Lake Casitas, R.L. smith, knob hill, maple hill. I agree that Idlewild is overrated, but only slightly. It's a great course and I really like it. It's just not top 10 anymore.

Herr near Lancaster PA is probably the most over rated course I've played right now and that's just because it's fairly new.

Milby park in Houston TX as a close second. Both are more a 3.0 to me rather than a 3.8. I think time will either improve the courses with trees growing in or ratings will average them down lower. Neither are bad spins by any means, just not great.