• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ledgestone 2017

Sponsorship is providing your product for a player to use such that the provided product takes the place, partially or fully, for what the player has to purchase at market price. So while being "on the team" might be a more substantial and more official form of sponsorship, giving a player product to use in public tournament play is sponsorship.

While I don't necessarily disagree with how you've laid that all out, ultimately it's up the entity doing the sponsoring what exactly constitutes sponsorship from them. They set those terms, and nobody else. So, the rest of us are just throwing around ideas otherwise.

A backlog is not why he got a deal. There is more to his trial and everyone is just assuming. Nobody is asking if he was attacked or defending himself. But it doesn't matter really. If you that feel strongly and want to troll him, go for it. Because he is back to playing again and your just a few lines of text on a crappy chat site. The pros will accept him with open arms, trolls will just die off in the interwebs.

While I don't necessarily disagree with how you've laid that all out, ultimately it's up the entity doing the sponsoring what exactly constitutes sponsorship from them. They set those terms, and nobody else. So, the rest of us are just throwing around ideas otherwise.

The only part of sponsorship missing, by any definition that I can find, is a signed contract. The action of delivering product is the top part of any sponsorship definition that can find. That is, the basic reason for any relationship of this type is that the player uses your product in public.

I don't think that Discette hates me! At least I hope not. I think that she took a little umbrage to the way I strongly came off as saying that Josh was sponsored already. We cool in my book.

Now iDiscGolf. That guy HAAAAATES me. :thmbup: He even doesn't like my beady eyes. haha.

I don't hate Jon!

How could I hate the guy I saw in that photo taken on Christmas Eve 1998 at the Fox River Mall. ;) I can't unsee that photo and every time I read a post by jvphobic, I see that guy!

Last edited:

Sure, because the sponsoring entity extends a contract that binds both parties to particular responsibilities. Without that contract, the sponsoring entity retains plausible deniability, in that it could "sponsor" a player with free gear but deny doing so at the same time -- and expect the player to deny the same, if the player wants to be considered for possible official sponsorship down the line.

I'm not saying that Innova is doing that here, because, as you state, we really have no idea. And because a player can get branded discs and clothing in the marketplace off the shelf without sponsorship, there's no way to know without some official acknowledgement. Were you or I to add a sponsor's name to our shirt -- say Chico's Bail Bonds -- the two plausible conclusions are 1)sponsorship or 2)a forthcoming cease and desist letter. But I can wear a Nike shirt or shoot a Rawling's basketball, and they are just clothes and gear until other terms have been set.

I don't hate Jon!

How could I hate the guy I saw in that photo taken on Christmas Eve 1998 at the Fox River Mall. ;) I can't unsee that photo and every time I read a post by jvphobic, I see that guy!

I didn't really think you did. You and JV are way too adult for me to think such things. I'm simply having some fun. Thanks for playing!

I don't hate Jon!

Ok, we need to see this pic. How old could you have been in 98, JV? 20? 25?

Ok, we need to see this pic. How old could you have been in 98, JV? 20? 25?

I would have been 20 at the time. Basically something like Glamour Shots was giving away free pics cause the staff was bored on Xmas Eve. So Terry and I got some "wonderful" pictures of us in funny hats and one in funny ties. Very cute. If you dig out on the internet or Facebook, they are out there somewhere.

It isn't up to Innova to define the word 'sponsorship' - that is up to the various dictionaries we treat as somewhat official representatives of the English language. It is up to Innova to decide how they categorize the sponsorship in terms of his 'team' membership. But if they are sending any free goods that have value with the expectation that he will use those goods, they are 'sponsoring' him. They don't get to decide what is or is not sponsorship, merely how they categorize levels of sponsorship.

If you that feel strongly and want to troll him, go for it. Because he is back to playing again and your just a few lines of text on a crappy chat site. The pros will accept him with open arms, trolls will just die off in the interwebs.

Let's be realistic. The Dude served major time for a truly heinous, top ten biblical no-no act and is rumored to have a white pride tattoo AND there are screenshots of him saying some questionable racial stuff. His presence will be controversial now and for the foreseeable future full stop. Complaining about this fact is the ultimate safespace, I'm-so-triggered nonsense. If you're happy for and supportive of the guy then just be that and don't dwell on the negativity for your own benefit.

I don't hate Jon!

1000 internets to whomever posts that pic again....

BTW - No one has written this yet, but Uli rocked it too. It was great seeing him at the top of his game.

Uli has very quietly had a really nice season thus far. I certainly agree with you, was nice to see him put together four strong rounds here.

All discussions about baskets inevitably lead to one conclusion:

attachment.php

Boy, the straight throwing spin putters will hate that. Plus Steady Ed make make on out-of-grave appearance!

Yes, seriously. I've yet to see a target design that catches 100% of "good" putts. Seems as though every time there's an advancement or adjustment in design that "fixes" one flaw, it ends up creating another. The only way there will ever be consistency across the board is if the sport settles on one design and every target used on every course is exactly the same (never going to happen).

At least if that's the case, whatever flaws/holes it may have will be known and accepted. For example, if the official target spits any putt thrown at a 35 degree hyzer angle hitting a spot two inches above and one inch to the right of dead center at a velocity of greater than 35mph, then a putt that meets all those characteristics is by definition not a good putt.

The problem we currently have is that such a putt might stick in basket models A, B, C, D, E, H, and K but spit out of models F, G, I, and J. But because of how many different basket models exist and the preference of some over others depending on where you are, it's incredibly difficult to keep straight which ones are which.

So I look at it this way...there's nothing objectively wrong with any target that meets PDGA "Championship" standards (the nonsense about DGPT approved targets aside). So long as every target on the course is the same model, the playing field for the players is level. It's then up to the players to adjust their putting stroke (speed/angle/spin/etc) to fit the course and target they're playing on a given weekend. No different than PGA Tour players having to account for the speed, slope, firmness, etc of the greens of whatever course they're playing in a given weekend...one week might be firm and fast, the next soft and slow, etc.

Players would have two choices, really. Adjust their style week to week depending on targets or find a consistent putting stroke that is as universal as they can get so that it works effectively on any target. I've seen Ricky in particular struggle with spits on a couple different target models, so I'm going to go ahead and say he hasn't found that universal stroke yet, even as good as he is. McBeth, on the other hand, never seems to get have chronic spit-outs on any particular style of target. He might be closer to having that universal fit.

The notion of the perfect target is a worthy goal and should continue to be sought, but I also think it's a pipedream that will never be fully attained.

JC, I get everything you stated before the last short paragraph, both the facts and the opinions. But the "no target catches all the good putts" and the "there's nothing much better anyone can do" is the part that I have so much disagreement with. I am certain it can be done; the issue in reality is stepping on the toes of major manufacturers. And no one in disc golf is ready to broach that issue. I'd bet a lot of money that a university graduate class in architectural or engineering design of non-discgolfers, could take on this project at little cost, get educated enough about disc golf, and (because they aren't influenced by any disc golf allegiances or pasts) could develop one that AT THE VERY LEAST would catch ALL putts that hit the center sweet spot. The "it's a pipedream" thing is just people who don't want to take it on.

What seems to be everyone's problem anyway with wanting to find or develop a basket that catches everything in the dead center sweet spot? I'd bet that those grad students wouldn't be locked-in to steel, they might consider have two or three different materials on baskets (overmold - ha!ha!). Maybe they'd consider an equally strong center pole material that is maybe not as thick or maybe a strong metal pole covered with a softer material. They may come up with ideas I'm not thinking of. And etc. and etc. I think an idea is out there. And yes, it may be cost-prohibitive at first, but you've got to find a model that works and then continually improve on it. I mean, it's been a while, but I still do remember playing on StrokeSavers.

Uhhh wut?

Uhhh, you chose to respond without even addressing a single point I made in my statement. You might as well have said, "your mama!" It wouldn't have been any different. I thought forums like these were for spirited discussion, opinions, and discourse back-and-forth.

What is the weak spot on Prodigy baskets then, or for that matter, any that has some cross-chain setup to make cut throughs basically impossible? IIRC from the previous time this flared up when Ricky got spitbacks, it is high soft putts and side putts or some such. But IMO those are non-ideal hits. I would much rather make the dead center area as 100% reliable as possible, and to hell with all the rest (high, side, noseup nosedown). Then you would only need to worry about hitting it where it matters.

In any case, cant really replace every basket everywhere with those. And anything PDGA legal for appropriate tournament level, pros should be prepared to handle. But again, dont say certain type will be the minimum and then run an event that uses other basket types. Yeah, they are all the same for all players still, but poor form.

Good point. The people who are saying that every current basket has is specific weaknesses are the ones who are truly seeing it and addressing it accurately, whether or not they believe it can be improved. Those who are saying the baskets have no weaknesses and it's ALL and ONLY on the players are a bit misguided imho. So I agree with much of what you said.

But two of the three Rick misses were not those high soft putts or side putts you mention. They were dead center nuts chains and still "bounced" out (as one person put it -- more on that below). I for one, just don't think that should happen. The third one was middle, too, but it was hard ... the first two were not hard as I saw them, so I'm not buying the "player needs to adjust" issue. This was a case of the player did adjust and still got burned.

If you thought the baskets were an issue, you aren't alone. This was issued by the DGPT yesterday. It's a good read and I'm glad they addressed the issue. In this day and age, far to many people are just not willing to admit when they were wrong.

https://www.dgpt.com/news/pro-tour-basket-standard

Clearly, I am not alone. Including the disc manufacturers. When Dynamic Discs was considering making our own baskets, several of us players on the team got to use the different protos for at least year ahead of time, giving input, seeing the changes, giving more input and so on and so on, until the Recruit came out, then the Veteran, then the Patriot. I'll admit, the Veteran has a design characteristic that pretty much eliminates the bounce straight back out if a putt hits the center pole. It's in the "zig-zag" of the frame. It may have other things people don't like, but that's not one of them.

We need a mod in here to change this to the whiney bitches thread.

If any of the pros don't like the tourney they should not show up. All I see is a guy busting his ass to raise serious money for them.

If you don't like it as a spectator don't watch. If you think tourneys should be ran better go run one.

The worst part of watching this tourney is the race to be outraged by all the idiots complaining.

Boy, the straight throwing spin putters will hate that. Plus Steady Ed make make on out-of-grave appearance!

I think there is a better thread to pursue this thought, but I can't find it.

JC, I get everything you stated before the last short paragraph, both the facts and the opinions. But the "no target catches all the good putts" and the "there's nothing much better anyone can do" is the part that I have so much disagreement with. I am certain it can be done; the issue in reality is stepping on the toes of major manufacturers. And no one in disc golf is ready to broach that issue. I'd bet a lot of money that a university graduate class in architectural or engineering design of non-discgolfers, could take on this project at little cost, get educated enough about disc golf, and (because they aren't influenced by any disc golf allegiances or pasts) could develop one that AT THE VERY LEAST would catch ALL putts that hit the center sweet spot. The "it's a pipedream" thing is just people who don't want to take it on.

What seems to be everyone's problem anyway with wanting to find or develop a basket that catches everything in the dead center sweet spot? I'd bet that those grad students wouldn't be locked-in to steel, they might consider have two or three different materials on baskets (overmold - ha!ha!). Maybe they'd consider an equally strong center pole material that is maybe not as thick or maybe a strong metal pole covered with a softer material. They may come up with ideas I'm not thinking of. And etc. and etc. I think an idea is out there. And yes, it may be cost-prohibitive at first, but you've got to find a model that works and then continually improve on it. I mean, it's been a while, but I still do remember playing on StrokeSavers.

Saying I don't think it's likely to happen and saying don't try at all are two different things. I've said it already and I'll say again, I want people to continue to try to find that perfect catching target. If someone does, great! The problem is that everyone has a different idea of what perfect is. What is perfect for one may not be perfect for another.

And it's finding consensus on how big and where exactly the sweet spot is that I believe is the wrench in the works. A "perfect" catching design can certainly be engineered. I just don't believe that the parameters of "perfect" are ever going to be unanimously agreed upon. So long as there are various designs to choose from, perfect is unattainable because it is undefinable.

Last edited:
Hey, I just got some free Innova shirts and discs in the mail! I don't know what this is all about, but when I put on the shirts and throw the discs, I feel like a part of a team! :D

Latest posts