• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lefty-friendly courses. HONESTLY.

Smith is pretty well balanced...14 is the same way --- yes, it does turn left to right, but it's uphill and the turn is early then moves backward up the hill. Much easier righty anny than lefty hyzer, which just can't get there.

I think 14 is the one that's sort of slight up hill, and gentle R to L, with steep rollaway type trouble behind and L of the basket? Ranging that shot is crucial, which I thought might be tougher for a LHBH, but of course, being almost straight, like slight R to L makes it easy for a RHBH to hyzer out too early/much and get into the bad poop.

I think the one you're talking about is 15 maybe, the early turn L to R uphiller, where you tee off out of a like partially dug grave. Which I agree now that I think about it, I like a high US mid or putter anny RHBH better than RHFH for that shot.

Smith is pretty well balanced. I think 2 is a much better righty anny than lefty hyzer.

14 is the same way --- yes, it does turn left to right, but it's uphill and the turn is early then moves backward up the hill. Much easier righty anny than lefty hyzer, which just can't get there.

5 is lefty-friendly, though it is a par 4, a lefty can hit both the drive and approach with a hyzer.
6, ok.
17, sure.

Far from a lefty-biased course, but -friendly, I'll allow it.

Spot on.

Easy for LHBH: 3, 5, 6, 13, 17. 11s lefty line is more tricky than the righty line but very hittable.

Moderate for LHBH, Easy anny RHBH: 2 and 15 are always outside of the circle putts for me. I can't get all the way to the pin due to the shape. Righties can get there more easily.

RHBH that I can birdie as lefty: 8, 14, righty holes that I can park (forehand for 8, anny for 14).

RHBH holes that are challenging: 9 is really tough to birdie as the grade falls away in the landing zone for it. I end up with a tricky second shot and end up with lots of 4s there.

RHBH holes I won't birdie: 1, 4, 7. I don't have enough forehand arm for 1 and 4 and 7 are too long and too straight to risk throwing something fast enough to get pin high. And the OB is right there waiting to bite me on 4 and 7.

16 is a straight shot but the green is just silly, especially for a counter-clockwise shot. I end up having taking lots of 3s including a penalty stroke.

The rest are straight/neutral shots.

Last edited:
I think 14 is the one that's sort of slight up hill, and gentle R to L, with steep rollaway type trouble behind and L of the basket? Ranging that shot is crucial, which I thought might be tougher for a LHBH, but of course, being almost straight, like slight R to L makes it easy for a RHBH to hyzer out too early/much and get into the bad poop.

I think the one you're talking about is 15 maybe, the early turn L to R uphiller, where you tee off out of a like partially dug grave. Which I agree now that I think about it, I like a high US mid or putter anny RHBH better than RHFH for that shot.

14 is a glidey anhyzer for a lefty. As long as you make the gap, your ok. A early hyzer out still leaves a jump putt.

Most courses I play in the Twin Cities for sure favor lefties. I think RHBH designers try to make holes tougher that way. So yeah all of them. YOU SOB LEFTIES GOT IT EASY!!!

So far we only have 10 on here. Come on people, surely there has to be more than that.

Right?

RIGHT?

830.gif

Sauls -- I definitely agree that Stoney Hill favors the lefty backhand. Maybe that's why I like the place so much, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the excellent property, hosts, and players ;)

Veteran's Park in Lexington has to be the most LHBH friendly course I've ever played. It's definitely not biased, but all of the trouble holes seem to set up the best for LHBH. Those who can throw RHFH are also at an advantage, but that's definitely not me. :wall:

I think the proliferation and acceptance of the forehand as a shot has definitely pushed course design to be more "neutral"; making lefties happy, happy, happy.

14 is a glidey anhyzer for a lefty. As long as you make the gap, your ok. A early hyzer out still leaves a jump putt.

I was just thinking, I sometimes overshoot on anny shots, and for a lefty there, overshooting left/long means into the valley.

Castle Hayne in Wilmington is a pretty lefty friendly.

Holes 1-6 and the tee shot on 7 are all righty favorable / neutral but then pretty much every shot the rest of the way, with the exception of 11's second shot, are lefty friendly.

I think Middle Creek in Cary is lefty friendly, but it's shorter so people don't notice.

I'd put Sugaw Creek on the list of lefty friendly.

I believe The Toboggan sets up for a scoring advantage to powerful lefties and RHFH.

It can be successfully navigated by RHBH, but many of the harder holes are made easier with a LHBH, and this is when tournament changing strokes are made up.

It could be that courses like this were designed when most top pros were righty backhand, and by making courses have a left hand bias they are adding challenge. That gets tricky today when a lot of newbies I see have an easier time forehanding than backhanding at first, so this "challege" might end up having the opposite effect.

In our course statistics, a relatively open, reachable hole that bends to the left will average 0.1 lower than the same length hole that goes straight ahead and average 0.1 higher than the straight hole if it bends to the right. That essentially accounts for the percentages of lefty vs righty players.

I haven't played it personally yet, but many of the locals in MSP call Lakewood Hills in White Bear Lake, MN "Leftywood Hills." [sarcasm] I can only assume because the designer dared to have one left-to-right hole on the course...compared to 7-8 right-to-left holes. [/sarcasm] :p

Holes 1-6 and the tee shot on 7 are all righty favorable / neutral but then pretty much every shot the rest of the way, with the exception of 11's second shot, are lefty friendly.

The teeshot on 8 & 10 is a tough line LHBH. I forehand 8 and then try to finesse a anny on 10.

Overall, the course is about as balanced as you can get. I'd call that lefty friendly.

I'd put Sugaw Creek on the list of lefty friendly.

Sugaw definitely favors lefties on most shots. The two "trickiest" gaps for me to hit are 2 (slow, glidey fairway driver anny) and 14 (touchey midrange anny). If I make both of those, I'm gonna shoot pretty well. And depending on the wind, I'll throw an anny on 10 over the street that is moderately risky.

Last edited:

The teeshot on 8 & 10 is a tough line LHBH. I forehand 8 and then try to finesse a anny on 10.

Overall, the course is about as balanced as you can get. I'd call that lefty friendly.

The only people that think the Castle is lefty-friendly are right-handers.
A lot of the so-called lefty lines work much better as a righty anhyzer (#5, #8, #9, #15, #18) or a righty flex shot (#4, #11) and some holes are just killers for lefties (#2,#8, #10).

One of my buddies stopped calling it a lefty course after he hurt his right hand at work and had to throw lefty for a few months.

I'd go with balanced, but definitely not as lefty-friendly as some think.

Last edited:
Really? I disagree. But please, feel free to elaborate.

Welcome to our world. :)[/QUOTE]

For one thing, most BG courses designed by a lefty. I think Preston Miller favors lefties. The one hole at White that goes straight, with a 90 degree right turn and a mando stand out.

I believe The Toboggan sets up for a scoring advantage to powerful lefties and RHFH.

It can be successfully navigated by RHBH, but many of the harder holes are made easier with a LHBH, and this is when tournament changing strokes are made up.

It could be that courses like this were designed when most top pros were righty backhand, and by making courses have a left hand bias they are adding challenge. That gets tricky today when a lot of newbies I see have an easier time forehanding than backhanding at first, so this "challege" might end up having the opposite effect.

This is true, Toboggan definitely sets up well for a RHFH/LHBH. This is why Ricky Wysocki had such an advantage at the GLO last year, leading to his big win. Not to mention he had played there several times in the US Ams.

Our new course in Apex, NC appears to be very LHBH friendly. It isn't offially open yet, but my first round featured a lot of thumbers off the tee. And the holes that were more RHBH friendly were more straight than shaped for big turns or fades. I'll have to give it some more time, but so far Apex Nature Park is a lefties dream.