• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

'Legendary' Players

curmudgeonDwindle

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
By my count there are three unanimous choices for this designation in disc golf.

Legendary might be a category above 'Hall of Fame' status, and would primarily be for a player's accomplishments on the field. Who else might be fit enough to be called 'Legendary' and why? Feel free to be 'creative' with your answers...

A corollary might be who has a unique 'legendary' accomplishment?

For those interested, my vote for GOAT frisbee player, would be Scott Zimmerman and golfer Ken Climo.

Josh Anthon(?) World class putter, something like 407 second place worlds finishes, (and the whole killed someone thing).

Is this what the Paul vs Kenny debate has turned into? Can't all decide on one, so let's find a way to classify them both! :popcorn:

May be going by a different subject name... but I have a feeling it's..."groundhog day" again.....

I think Elaine King should be in this group and perhaps on top considering her contributions beyond winning five FPO World Titles and three FP40 World titles, two of them while in the FP50 age range, and is currently reigning FP40 champ, potentially defending her title next year when qualified for the next older age range. Her first title was in 1991 at age 29, a year after Climo's first title. She's still winning against much younger women. Climo has (unfortunately) been on injured reserve since his 2015 MP40 title. If "legendary" is going to mean someone's full elite playing career, Elaine must be in that conversation.

If we are only counting peoples impact as players...
I would say these;

MPO;
Climo- the likely only person who will ever have 12 MPO world titles.
Barry Schultz- great champion, his form is still reflected in current players.
Paul McBeth- Best of an era, and not close to done.

FPO;
Elaine King- Champ as FPO and age protected, still takes some good runs at FPO even over 50.
Val Jenkins- Several championships and was a leader of the wave that took FPO to the competitive space it is now.
JK- Multiple championships and frisbee artist.
Paige Pierce- similar time Paul, best of an era and probably some more titles to come.

I'd say the bare minimum for "legendary" status would be multiple world championships, although I might consider someone if they've won a few majors. In my mind, to be legendary in a solo (not team) sport, you have to be considered the best in the game for a period of time. I'm fine with that "best in the game" category being disputed, but if you're never in the conversation for being the best in the game for more than just a tournament or two, you have no business being considered legendary. I'm thinking at least two years where people are discussing whether or not you're the best in the game. Gregg Barsby, you're one of the greatest disc golfers ever, but I'm not going to consider you "legendary" because you had 6 months in 2018 where you were en feugo.

*Gregg Barsby is the man, and I hope he has another year like that so he could be included here.

Let's say Barsby was 6'5" tall and 250 lbs like Jenkins. Would he be able to ride the coattails of 1 big win, still 11 years later? Can't think of anything Avery really ever won other than 1 worlds, maybe a A tier or 2? Barsby at least won Masters Cup and many A tiers

I'd say the bare minimum for "legendary" status would be multiple world championships, although I might consider someone if they've won a few majors. In my mind, to be legendary in a solo (not team) sport, you have to be considered the best in the game for a period of time.

Agreed, with the exception of if/when a female athlete wins a major in MPO. That player will achieve instant legendary status, and would catapult our sport into the limelight and achieve broad mainstream appeal outside of disc golf. I hope this happens one day, and I think disc golf has the best potential for this kind of feat.

Is this what the Paul vs Kenny debate has turned into? Can't all decide on one, so let's find a way to classify them both! :popcorn:

I didn't know Legendary and GOAT were spelled the same...

Paul is the GOAT. Paul is Legendary.

Kenny is not the GOAT. But, Kenny is Legendary.

Throw FPO into the mix? Well yeah, obvi, King takes the GOAT crown away from Paul.

It's pretty simple, people.

Let's say Barsby was 6'5" tall and 250 lbs like Jenkins. Would he be able to ride the coattails of 1 big win, still 11 years later? Can't think of anything Avery really ever won other than 1 worlds, maybe a A tier or 2? Barsby at least won Masters Cup and many A tiers

By no means was I attempting to include a list of people who aren't legendary. I was saying that, to me, the lowest point of the bar is above Barsby. Barsby is a good bit above Avery Jenkins.

For me, I'd put four in the legendary status from MPO: Climo, Schultz, Doss, and McBeth. Climo and McBeth are obvious, Schultz makes it on account of his multiple worlds, multiple usdgcs, and longevity. Doss won 3 worlds and a USDGC and barely squeaks in. I think the "first man out" of the list is Feldberg, who has a worlds, a USDGC, and 2 Euro Opens. If he keeps up his work ethic with promoting the sport and keeps racking up Master's world championships, I could see him sneaking in, but I think it's unlikely. Greenwell might be the second to last cut I'd make. I'd say that neither of them sustained their reign at the top long enough for me.

For FPO, it's easy. King, Korver, Reading, Jenkins, Pierce. Basically everyone who has won 3+ worlds. If you want to know why I made the cutoff 3 worlds for them, it's because I have no clue who the 3 ladies are that won the first 6 FPO world's, so chalk it up to ignorance. If Catrina Allen can win another world's and another major, I'd add her to it (She has 1 worlds, 1 uswdgc, and 2 euro opens) just like I'd do with Sarah Hokom (1 worlds, 2 uswdgcs).

If someone only won worlds once, but the swept all the majors that year and had a long career where they won some other majors and were roughly at the top, I'd probably consider them legendary as well.

By no means was I attempting to include a list of people who aren't legendary. I was saying that, to me, the lowest point of the bar is above Barsby. Barsby is a good bit above Avery Jenkins.

For me, I'd put four in the legendary status from MPO: Climo, Schultz, Doss, and McBeth. Climo and McBeth are obvious, Schultz makes it on account of his multiple worlds, multiple usdgcs, and longevity. Doss won 3 worlds and a USDGC and barely squeaks in. I think the "first man out" of the list is Feldberg, who has a worlds, a USDGC, and 2 Euro Opens. If he keeps up his work ethic with promoting the sport and keeps racking up Master's world championships, I could see him sneaking in, but I think it's unlikely. Greenwell might be the second to last cut I'd make. I'd say that neither of them sustained their reign at the top long enough for me.

For FPO, it's easy. King, Korver, Reading, Jenkins, Pierce. Basically everyone who has won 3+ worlds. If you want to know why I made the cutoff 3 worlds for them, it's because I have no clue who the 3 ladies are that won the first 6 FPO world's, so chalk it up to ignorance. If Catrina Allen can win another world's and another major, I'd add her to it (She has 1 worlds, 1 uswdgc, and 2 euro opens) just like I'd do with Sarah Hokom (1 worlds, 2 uswdgcs).

If someone only won worlds once, but the swept all the majors that year and had a long career where they won some other majors and were roughly at the top, I'd probably consider them legendary as well.
Would you consider Wysocki to be legendary? What about Nikko or someone like Scott Stokely who didn't win much but is still talked about due to his incredible distance?

Wysocki is probably two strokes shy of it. Beyond that, it's never a surprise when he wins but for the "legendary" players it's a surprise when they don't.

Barsby's Worlds win was much less predictable than Avery's. IMO Avery was the favorite to take it his year. Avery also won at least 2 Majors other than Worlds- Japan Open and Player's Cup, a couple NT's, and a whole bunch of A Tiers.

Latest posts