• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

'Legendary' Players

at Delaveaga, could have been a Masters Cup, where MPM and MPO played shotgun rounds at different times. At least one player entered and played in each division, playing 27 holes in MPO and 27 in MPM each day.

My legs hurt just reading this...:eek:

I don't think this will pick up much steam in this thread but you have guys like Crazy John Brooks who have promoted disc sports for decades. The Bud Lite Frisbee team was huuuuuuge. He's in both the Freestyle and the Disc Golf Hall of Fame. So while he's not disc golf's GOAT, he's a legend for disc sports all around. He deserves a nod.

He also plays a mean trombone.

Last edited:
I think there's a video of Crazy John Brooks ace off the damn in Columbus, OH. 500+ feet with a Roc. Crazy!

see there? reminiscing can be cool...almost as good as anticipating...

Dr. Rick is nice but he's got an ego like everyone else. He's well practiced at keeping it under wraps - outstanding mental game. At this point it's not really fair to say had he elected to play Open, he would have won. This is the quandry of the 'division straddler'...he conservatively played the percentages back then...my memory wants to tell me that Johnny Sias had a comparable short game, but he wasn't traveling/playing as much. I want to say he was more interested in building courses...don't quote me on that last part.

Crazy John was a player I'd put into the 'magic' category. It sometimes seemed there was nothing he couldn't do with a disc...He really liked to have fun - possessed of an infectious positive attitude...I want to say a lot of Crazy rubbed off on Stokely.

Interestingly, John Ahart was the first very successful push-putter, that I was aware of...I think he also liked to listen to Tony Robbins tapes, if that means anything...

my memory wants to tell me that Johnny Sias had a comparable short game, but he wasn't traveling/playing as much. I want to say he was more interested in building courses...don't quote me on that last part.

Without a doubt, Johnny is one of the nicest guys in disc golf. Consistently smooth in the woods and one of the greatest putters I have ever seen. Even though he's pushing 70, he'd still much rather compete against the 40+ Masters than the old farts. We've battled many times and while I've come close, I have yet to beat him. Maybe someday.

-cue Eye of the Tiger to a montage of me practicing 1,000 putts a day-

He was 35 in '88.

Damn, that means he was exactly the age I am now in that 2000 worlds playing in the final 9.

I'm just happy to be hanging in there with other Am Masters guys right now playing the short tees in c-tiers.

What are the odds of a 47 year old ever making the MPO final round lead card at worlds again? Let's go, Steve Rico!! (Not sure exactly how old he is).

What are the odds of a 47 year old ever making the MPO final round lead card at worlds again? Let's go, Steve Rico!! (Not sure exactly how old he is).

There are a few older guys that maybe could under the right circumstances..... Too lazy to check out ages but two not young guys that come to my mind right away were JohnE and MJ.

Notable 40+ players today:

Steve Rico is 1029 rated
JohnE is 1022
MJ at 1033
Feldberg at 1031

Dr. Voakes was 1000 rated when he finished 4th in the 2000 worlds. Now I wonder if a 1000-rated guy has finished this well at any worlds in the last decade or so...I'm going to spend my extra time before work throwing with my son, though...

Crazy John Brooks would have been a no brainer if he didn't line up against Climo so often. One of those cases where playing against the GOAT takes the shine off you.

In my mind Feldberg always SEEMS like a legend, but his resume doesn't really back it up. He was just so damn good for a couple years, especially his then record rated season. I will say he should get points for being the only disc golfer to make a major television appearance, and he actually did great on Conan in what could have been a very cringe segment.

Notable 40+ players today:

Steve Rico is 1029 rated
JohnE is 1022
MJ at 1033
Feldberg at 1031

Dr. Voakes was 1000 rated when he finished 4th in the 2000 worlds. Now I wonder if a 1000-rated guy has finished this well at any worlds in the last decade or so...I'm going to spend my extra time before work throwing with my son, though...

Darrell Nodland, 50+, 1033
The guy barely plays, but would win the "obscure legend" category... most likely the top rated 50+ player ever, and maybe the highest win percentage ever (admittedly padded by playing obscure events). I finally got to play his Patterson Lake course this past summer, and after that I am even more amazed to see the tournament scores he has put up on that course.

I know a few of you have brought her up, but those who have omitted Des Reading from the women's side, I'm curious as to why?

12 Majors (Including 3 FPO and 1 Women's Masters World Championships)
Roughly 29 NT wins
Roughly 62 A-Tiers wins

I mean...that's a monumental resume.

Juliana, who is frequently mentioned, has 6 Majors and 16 NTs.

Is the lack of Reading's inclusion because she only has three FPO Worlds, because she'd definitely make my list of legendary players.

Dave Feldberg who won a worlds title in 2009 helped create the Paten Pending with Berry, should be on the list, Also recently won the Masters 40+ division at PSDGA Masters Pro Worlds. He Puts on great stuff with Infinate his sponsor and can free talk about discs, Much needed an experianced player who still plays at a high level.

John E McCray, almost 50 (at 47-48 I think?) and still can compete from time to time in the National Tour/Pro Tour and be in the top 10 at the events in a Normal year. Impressive from a Master.

I would also Include Des Reading as she with Jay Reading had a bunch of PDGA world Doubles (Mixed?) titles to the names in addition to the 3 PDGA FPO Worlds.

Jay (Yeti) Reading too as he has a putter disc from Innova for all the Putting World Championships he won over the years, They made a KC like disc that was concave the way some old 10X KC would go for the discs he liked to use when putting until the Yeti Aviar came out.

Last edited:
That would be scumbag, thief John Ahart. He, imo, was always full of himself. I mentioned it to him on Facebook before he stole from everyone and disappeared, he never acknowledged it as far as I know.
Wow, I wasn't aware that others had labeled him as a thief. I wish we would have known that in 88.

Wow, I wasn't aware that others had labeled him as a thief. I wish we would have known that in 88.

A few years back he set up a system to "grade" people's discs.

Many people sent him collector/rare discs to get formally graded and trusted him to do so based on his history.

Well he stole all of those discs and then disappeared.

So whatever experience you had is nullified by him stealing thousands of dollars worth of discs after people trusted him.

A few years back he set up a system to "grade" people's discs.

Many people sent him collector/rare discs to get formally graded and trusted him to do so based on his history.

Well he stole all of those discs and then disappeared.

So whatever experience you had is nullified by him stealing thousands of dollars worth of discs after people trusted him.
Our experience was we lost a good portion of our collection after the 88 Worlds.

Darrell Nodland, 50+, 1033
The guy barely plays, but would win the "obscure legend" category... most likely the top rated 50+ player ever, and maybe the highest win percentage ever
I'm the USDGC Historian and Darrell Nodland has one of the best USDGC tournament averages of all players over 24 years. He always finished 15th or better, with his finished of 5, 15, 2 for an average finish of 7.3! He finished 2nd in the USDGC!! He lost to Kenny that year.