• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

'Legendary' Players

I'm the USDGC Historian
That's pretty cool. So you must know it's the 20th anniversary of the year some totally unknown 968 rated player shot three 1000+ rated rounds to cash at the USDGC!

I would throw Ron Russell's name into the mix for legendary players. He may be a one hit wonder, but he seemed to come out of nowhere to break Climo's streak of 9 straight PDGA World's, and then seemingly faded just as quickly back into the sunset.

I would throw Ron Russell's name into the mix for legendary players. He may be a one hit wonder, but he seemed to come out of nowhere to break Climo's streak of 9 straight PDGA World's, and then seemingly faded just as quickly back into the sunset.

Without looking it up (I need to dash to work here), it sure seemed like Ron Russell and Al Schack won half the sanctioned tournaments I played in back in the late '90s, in Michigan. Ron could put a Comet or Cyclone anywhere he wanted, plus was perhaps the best putter on the planet.

With there being no money in the sport back then, it's hard to blame someone like him for doing his thing briefly. I remember recently hearing about how Juliana never got 4 figures for any of her worlds wins. You went on tour at your financial peril in those days. Even with today's relative explosion in the pro game, I'm guessing most of the names that aren't top 25 are barely making ends meet out there even now.

Fact, in 1998 (when I joined the PDGA), there were fewer than 10% of serious players than today. The person whose PDGA number is ten times mine joined in like 2020, and a huge bunch have joined since. It was a stark situation compared to today for the very best players of the time.

Without looking it up (I need to dash to work here), it sure seemed like Ron Russell and Al Schack won half the sanctioned tournaments I played in back in the late '90s, in Michigan. Ron could put a Comet or Cyclone anywhere he wanted, plus was perhaps the best putter on the planet.

With there being no money in the sport back then, it's hard to blame someone like him for doing his thing briefly. I remember recently hearing about how Juliana never got 4 figures for any of her worlds wins. You went on tour at your financial peril in those days. Even with today's relative explosion in the pro game, I'm guessing most of the names that aren't top 25 are barely making ends meet out there even now.

Fact, in 1998 (when I joined the PDGA), there were fewer than 10% of serious players than today. The person whose PDGA number is ten times mine joined in like 2020, and a huge bunch have joined since. It was a stark situation compared to today for the very best players of the time.
Yes. Ron Russell's no look anhyzer putt was a thing to behold.

Latest posts