• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] less flippy saint suggestions??

Eternal_Noob

Hello all!

I have a 167 Opto Saint that's starting to get flippy on me, and while i love the disc, I want something to beat into what a saint was like new. I was thinking of just getting a heavier one, but also was thinking of what other options i possibly have. I'm not married to any particular company.

I throw about 280 - 300 (noodle arm for life!)

I was looking at the flow, my buddy is willing to give me his (10/10) since he didn't click with it, and its a faster disc but It looks like its a lot more overstable when he throws it, but i"m guessing that's just because its a faster disc. Is the Flow more HSS than the saint?

My other big consideration is a discraft Surge SS. I have some other discraft stuff, Flash, Avenger SS and Crank SS, all which i love. I just got a Stalker which i love how resistant it is to turning. Even on a hard throw that will turn my Saint over to where it will just go right forever, it seems to fight back. Is it too much to hope that the Surge SS will act the same way? Also the bead on the Stalker doesn't bother me, feels like its not there.

The most obvious suggestion would just be to grab a Saint Pro. It was designed to fly like a Saint for power arms, so it should feel right at home in your hands and stay stable longer than your Saint did. Happy hunting!

Just go max weight if you want it a bit more stable. If you want a bit more than that get the escape. If you want a bit more than that get the saint pro. Get it?

Staying within Trilogy, Striker or Escape possibly?

Innova: TL3, Teebird 3, Thunderbird?

MVP/Axiom: Volt, Wrath? I bet you'd really like the Volt. I sold my Saint and bought a Volt and it can handle my power better. The Saint would end right.

If you like the Saint, and it sounds like a good disc for you with your arm, just get a heavier one.

You sure it wasn't flipping due to wind?

Last edited:
the escape is a touch less flippy, but has a much smoother turn

Lots of good suggestions here. I bagged a GL Saint at one point. It started out with a beautiful, very straight flight (very little turn, very little fade). Unfortunately, it beat in pretty quickly to understable so it no longer did what I bagged it for, and it got the boot. So I can understand where you're coming from. Fortunately there are a lot of good options for a straight to fade speed 8-9 fairway driver out there which lots of people have mentioned already. Saint Pro, Teebird3, Thunderbird, Volt, Escape, etc. are all good options! The Flow is a good disc; I bagged one of those too at one point, but it's a faster driver, so you might not be able to get it fully up to speed, which means it would be pretty overstable for you.

Just go max weight if you want it a bit more stable. If you want a bit more than that get the escape. If you want a bit more than that get the saint pro. Get it?

Even 5 more grams of weight should do the trick at that distance range. I have owned a ton of Saints.

Weight is not the answer here. Either get a different disc or, if you have the luxury of being picky, go to the brick and mortar store and compare your current disc against other saints. Pick the one with the highest plh and you'll be set.

Even 5 more grams of weight should do the trick at that distance range. I have owned a ton of Saints.

I agree totally - Saint Pro is an awful suggestion. Way more beef and less distance.

Get a 172 Opto Saint though, that will give you a couple years of the flight you are missing.

My 2 year old 169 opto is in a similar state; I got a new 172 Opto, and use it for when the wind is kicking up. It will take over after a bit of seasoning. My power is similar to the OPs.

The best alternatives would be a DD Escape, or a Westside Northman. Very similar discs in the same plastic that have an extra tick of stability.

I like my GL Saint a lot. Like your friend, the Flow and I haven't yet gelled. You might try a max weight Saint, a Saint Pro, or one of the other suggestions already given.

I tend to think it's how you're throwing...I found the Opto Saint didn't start being -1/1 for HSS/LSS until ~330' and once it's hitting further than that it can be used for a bit of a turnover. Definitely doesn't fade much ever though. I've only thrown a couple of them, I believe 168/171.

Upping stability to maybe a Gstar Thunderbird? I bet the Saint will have gone farther for you but the Thunderbird should be more trustworthy.

Also are you starting it with a bit of L to R anny edge from the throw?

Less flippy saint

I think the Escape will work for you. A 169 Moonshine Es ape will be perfect right away but will only last a season before breaking in beyond what you are seeking. I prefer the fluid plastic feels great loves you long time.
Hello all!

I have a 167 Opto Saint that's starting to get flippy on me, and while i love the disc, I want something to beat into what a saint was like new. I was thinking of just getting a heavier one, but also was thinking of what other options i possibly have. I'm not married to any particular company.

I throw about 280 - 300 (noodle arm for life!)

I was looking at the flow, my buddy is willing to give me his (10/10) since he didn't click with it, and its a faster disc but It looks like its a lot more overstable when he throws it, but i"m guessing that's just because its a faster disc. Is the Flow more HSS than the saint?

My other big consideration is a discraft Surge SS. I have some other discraft stuff, Flash, Avenger SS and Crank SS, all which i love. I just got a Stalker which i love how resistant it is to turning. Even on a hard throw that will turn my Saint over to where it will just go right forever, it seems to fight back. Is it too much to hope that the Surge SS will act the same way? Also the bead on the Stalker doesn't bother me, feels like its not there.

just get a heavier saint. the flow needs pretty significant snap to get the rated turn out of it if you manage to find a domey one. flatter ones are hit and miss on their parting lines. go heavier or try a frost line saint.

The Stag is the perfect disc for this slot. St.Pro could be good when it beats in but a Stag is the disc.

It's a great fairway for me up to 350 BH or if I need something to hyzerflip FH.

My buddy is a noodle arm and the Stag is his longest disc at 310, he can't even usually get his Mamba that far.

I throw saints as my go to main driver.
That being said, I would recommend getting a saint pro

I throw saints as my go to main driver.
That being said, I would recommend getting a saint pro

I'm sure those "pair" well together. But I think he's looking for similar, just a little bit more stable.

What's about a river, I haven't thrown one for years?

I'm sure those "pair" well together. But I think he's looking for similar, just a little bit more stable.

What's about a river, I haven't thrown one for years?

Definitely not. More finicky, slower, easier to flip. It has more glide and at lower speed but is less tolerant to form.

Latest posts