• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local course controversy

Some of her points are valid, most are not. Most are pushed way to the edge as someone wishing to get a desired result from twisted statements will do. We have plenty of parks in the area with courses, nice courses, where people actually get along and there isn't an us vs them mentality. From the looks of it, the first lady was handed her butt after she told, shall we say, "mistruths" (to be polite) and now the "other side" has to have a new voice. In steps this lady. I am sure she is nice and I am sure she means well (for herself and "her side") but I agree with the ones who are simply saying it's about sharing. They have their nice beautiful park and don't want dg'ers in it any more than they are. The biggest amazement that I have is that there is this much fuss over an expansion, not a totally new course. It's not like they didn't have disc golf and now it's being forced on them, they had a 9 hole and it's being upgraded to an 18 hole course. If there haven't been any problems since 2003 then why do they think the world is going to end now that 9 more have been added? One things for sure, to the guys and gals that will be playing this course on a regular basis, you need to be on your p's and q's. Anything that is the slightest bit off from cigarette butts to trash to noise will be a big issue for the first little while. Represent well my friends........................jb

Great, what about all the other points she made after that one? It's a debate because clearly some people have issue with it because of a lack of information about disc golf. As much as the sport has grown recently most people are still clueless about it. If you have concerned citizens voicing their opinion and all you do is call them stupid then you are not educating them nor are you gaining support for the sport.

All I'm pointing out is that I know enough to know that her first point was completely a sophist argument. I'm not privy to enough information to know whether her other points are (I'm not a local) but if she leads off with a dumb point then I'm dubious of her other ones, no matter how clever they appear.

Figure if you reason with her, she is less likely to cause a fuss down the line.

If you draw battle swords, she may make this her own personal battle (as it already seems) and continue this fight till the end. If you reason with her and cover all her concerns she will theoretically drop it and may even become a disc golfer herself!!!

Figure if you reason with her, she is less likely to cause a fuss down the line.

If you draw battle swords, she may make this her own personal battle (as it already seems) and continue this fight till the end. If you reason with her and cover all her concerns she will theoretically drop it and may even become a disc golfer herself!!!

While I don't think there is a need to "draw swords" I think that this person is one you will not be able to reason with. The straws she is grabbing at and the extremes she portrays disc golfers (calling them zealots? really?) and their sport to show that she will only be happy with one conclusion; hers. I don't think points 1, 3 and 4 are valid or even honest. It's classic "fear-mongering" to try to stop what you don't want to happen. I do think that #2 has a point, the people in charge of the clearing (I don't think the phrase construction zone fits here) need to be supervised and told exactly how they need to handle things. It does seem that everything was handled as it needed to be all along, but somehow she determines that it was all "misrepresented". Looks like the guys in charge have their "T's" crossed and their "I's" dotted...... Good work gentlemen................jb

The thing is, there was already a course there for almost 10 years. That makes almost all of her points invalid or she should have already spoken up sometime in that period.

While I don't think there is a need to "draw swords" I think that this person is one you will not be able to reason with. The straws she is grabbing at and the extremes she portrays disc golfers (calling them zealots? really?) and their sport to show that she will only be happy with one conclusion; hers. I don't think points 1, 3 and 4 are valid or even honest. It's classic "fear-mongering" to try to stop what you don't want to happen. I do think that #2 has a point, the people in charge of the clearing (I don't think the phrase construction zone fits here) need to be supervised and told exactly how they need to handle things. It does seem that everything was handled as it needed to be all along, but somehow she determines that it was all "misrepresented". Looks like the guys in charge have their "T's" crossed and their "I's" dotted...... Good work gentlemen................jb

IMHO, swords have already been drawn... From 15+ years of customer service, I know that you can ALWAYS reason with someone, even the most irate. It is just a matter of doing it properly.

Sometimes you need to back down a bit so that they can feel you understand their concerns. This will allow you to make your points to someone who is a bit more open.

Maybe agree that too many tree's were cut down, but then let her know that from this point forth it will no longer be any issue and all course maintenance will be approved by the park.

Just my $0.02 trying to give you other possible options to try.

IMHO, swords have already been drawn... From 15+ years of customer service, I know that you can ALWAYS reason with someone, even the most irate. It is just a matter of doing it properly.

Sometimes you need to back down a bit so that they can feel you understand their concerns. This will allow you to make your points to someone who is a bit more open.

Maybe agree that too many tree's were cut down, but then let her know that from this point forth it will no longer be any issue and all course maintenance will be approved by the park.

Just my $0.02 trying to give you other possible options to try.

I understand where you are coming from having been in customer service for 20 years myself; but we both have seen this kind of person before. The one who is going to shoutthe loudest, make the biggest scene and not go away until she gets what she wants. There was no concession to her conversation, she didn't bring out any facts that bach up her claim that this was all done inappropriately. She started the way most in her position would; with an irrelevant fact. Sure it's a fact but it does t really pertain to the situation. Like BroD said it was all Indian hunting grounds at some point. I have no doubt in my mind that she will not go away until she gets her way or until the people get tired of her letters to the editor. I am not saying be rude or disrespectful, I actually think that this Andy guy has handled it very well. Bottom line is, the time for all this discussion has long passed, now she and her side need to learn to deal......

I am not doubting that Andy has handled this in the best way possible, major props to him for coming with an educated rebuttal and taking all the proper steps necessary to cover his(the courses) butt the whole way through the process.

But...

I have no doubt in my mind that she will not go away until she gets her way or until the people get tired of her letters to the editor.

If this is the case.. I would think it better to try and calm her concerns early instead of letting them fester.

Not much more I can say on this topic, I'll leave it to the locals.. best of luck dealing with this lady!

:)

I'm willing to wager if you do some research she probably was someone who opposed the original course going in as well.

People that didn't get their way grabbing at straws. Did they ask the dog walkers or horse riders or nature watchers to pay a fee similar to the dock fee? Exactly..........jb

yao-ming-meme.jpg

I assume that the new argument to discourage disc golf is to try to charge them out. Since the government charges land use to people that build docks on the lake, they contend that the disc golfers should be charged to use the shoreline too.

The argument is blown out of the water by the second comment to the article that contends that all park users that walk down by the shoreline would then be compelled to pay a user fee. This of course, would never pass.

The anti disc golf people appear to be very determined to pull the course.