• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long downhill throws

WillA

Birdie Member
This may seem like a dumb question, sorry if it is. If you are on top of a high slope and are throwing downhill is it best to throw straight out or throw down the slope. I have always thrown straight out but a couple of guys in our club tell me that's not a good idea.

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish, but generally following the slope is the best plan. Throwing out will give the disc a lot more chance to turn or fade, but you lose a lot of distance. Throwing along the slope will let you throw a lot farther and be a lot less subject to wind and fading out hard.

Take a look at the attached picture. Hole 7 at Nockamixon State park in PA. This is one of the holes where you can do either throw from the two you described.

The blue shows the throw flat with a hard fade and the pink shows the straight down the slope on a slight anhyzer. When I played this for the first time I took both shots into account but because the wind wasn't to bad I just decided to take the straight shot with a hard fade. I threw a relatively straight disc (Opto Saint). Worked out perfect and faded back nice for a 20ft putt that of course I missed :\ It really comes down to what the shot calls for and what you feel more comfortable throwing.

By the way don't mind the brown chicken with its head cut off in the lower part of the pic. My dog decided to jump into the panorama shot I was trying to take with my iPhone.

Attachments

• Nockamixon Hole 7.jpg
    Nockamixon Hole 7.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 268
Do u throw straight out on a uphill throw? Prolly not, u have to throw the shot the hole requires. Most of the time u should throw down with the downhill slope.

Take a look at the attached picture. Hole 7 at Nockamixon State park in PA. This is one of the holes where you can do either throw from the two you described.

The blue shows the throw flat with a hard fade and the pink shows the straight down the slope on a slight anhyzer. When I played this for the first time I took both shots into account but because the wind wasn't to bad I just decided to take the straight shot with a hard fade. I threw a relatively straight disc (Opto Saint). Worked out perfect and faded back nice for a 20ft putt that of course I missed :\ It really comes down to what the shot calls for and what you feel more comfortable throwing.

By the way don't mind the brown chicken with its head cut off in the lower part of the pic. My dog decided to jump into the panorama shot I was trying to take with my iPhone.

Hyzer Ahot over the trees all day

It just depends on the hole. If it is a long down hill wooded hole you will probably want to stick pretty close to the slope so you don't end up 200ft to the left of the fairway in the woods. If it is an open hole you can be more lenient.

On the hole below (#9 Ashe County) I normally aim in that red area. It is lower than I would throw the hole if it was flat but it also doesn't really follow the slope of the hole. Also remember if you have a good flat mid-range give that a try. On high holes glide is your friend.

9_zps7e2fc4f0.jpg

Last edited:
Hole 17 at the Woods at St, Mary's is a long downhill throw - A normal throw generally takes a ton of air and goes high and stalls, especially if the winds are out.

I'd vote throwing down. I turned and burned my last drive there and it went as far as any other throw I've had there.

Hole 14 at Whistler's Bend (OR) is most definetly a throw down the slope shot. The basket is the speck near the bush to the left of the guys head.
watermark.php

It depends... if you wanna get to a pin that's basically straight ahead, follow the terrain.
If you want the disc to fade hard and really come off the line it was thrown on, throw flat.

You can also throw something understable on a hyzer flip (or somewhat overstable on a flex shot) and throw them relatively flat (with respect to nose angle - hyzer flips and flex shots can't be thrown truly flat) and get them to S out and fade back toward the center of a fairway when throwing down a big hill or well elevated tee.

Some key things to remember:
1) the disc wants to fade as it slows - it's inherent in a spinning disc towards the end of it's flight as the fwd velocity slows.
2) The farther the disc is from the ground when it slows, the farther the disc able to fade as it's falling. The greater the fall, the greater the fade falls... away from the line you threw it on.

Last edited:
i always rip em down, the big downhill holes here are 500-700 feet so you better have one hell of an arm if your gonna get there throwing flat..

So yeah, it depends on a lot of things. Conditions, where the basket is, constant slope or slope then flat or back up hill, you know, there are a lot of things. I first learned to throw far by throwing on the same plane as the slope. Then I discovered that I could gain another 100+' by throwing a less stable disc and allowing the high speed turn on the disc to take it down the hill. The basic principle is not allowing the disc to fade out for as long as possible while keeping the disc in the air.

If the pin is past your max throwing distance you can take advantage of the slope by throwing a less stable disc flat out and by the time it comes back you'll have gained some substantial distance.

If you've got a lot of trouble to get around you can use the slope to either hyzer over it more easily or an overstable disc thrown flat will cut around it. Just try to use the terrain to your advantage, don't let it become another obstacle.

We've got a couple of slightly downhill holes here in Warwick and I throw all of them differently because of their length and/or obstacles.

It just depends on the hole. If it is a long down hill wooded hole you will probably want to stick pretty close to the slope so you don't end up 200ft to the left of the fairway in the woods. If it is an open hole you can be more lenient.

On the hole below (#9 Ashe County) I normally aim in that red area. It is lower than I would throw the hole if it was flat but it also doesn't really follow the slope of the hole. Also remember if you have a good flat mid-range give that a try. On high holes glide is your friend.

9_zps7e2fc4f0.jpg

This is exactly what I do on this hole. :hfive: If you throw too high, it will fade way too far to the left or right.

Latest posts