• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long Straight Mid Throws

Rectron5000

Hypothetical: You need to throw 300 feet dead straight with a low ceiling. You may throw something stable (MD3, Emac Truth, etc.) on hyzer to flip up, or you may choose something overstable (MD4, Roc3, etc.) to throw flat. What do you choose and why?

I use either one of my ESP Impact a hybrid midrange fairway disc 170-172 or 173-174 grams those two wight sets work best for mold or one of my 2 Champion Shark 3 about 175 grams. It depends on how tight the shot is and how low the ceiling. tighter the shot and lower the ceiling, the more I use the Impact over the Shark 3. I do not use a Star Shark or my old Pro in bag both about 175 grams as driving putter, approach shot, and windy day putter as those are more OS then Shark 3 and need a slightly higher throw then a Shark 3 to get the full max distance as the Shark has more the putter float in a midrange distance disc.

This is distance (and elevation!) dependent. I have an arm so I could throw a putter or mid, or even power down a fairway...I'm also at sea level. Lower powered players and people at elevation are going to give you a different answer.

Also, Comet.

Low ceiling to me means I choose a faster mid rather than Roc/Comet style. 300' to me is pretty standard with a mid so I don't need one with extra glide or turn to help...this depends on your arm speed. So I'd rather throw a mid that won't drift right on me, but isn't so overstable that if I give it a touch of hyzer accidentally that it would drift left the whole flight. That to me means a Compass, I'd hit it hard and have it hit the ground at 300ish before it fades. That could be Buzzz, MD3, a mild Roc3, etc. depending on what you like.

If the hole gets to be at the far end of your mid throwing comfort range, then I'd be throwing something with a little more glide/turn and hyzer flipping it slightly so it carries longer and the fade is forward finishing, but that's a touchier shot and at 300' I don't need to do that.

It would depend on the shape of the green.

Sloping towards the teepad = flip-up fairway driver (leopard) because its hard to overshoot.

Sloping away from teepad = flip-up midrange (dx roc3) to not fly past basket.

Sloping down right-to-left = flip-up midrange so you don't fade too early and flipping too much would cut back towards basket.

Sloping down left-to-right = more OS thrown on slight anny or straight so if it fades too early it hits hill and might cut back towards basket.

Flat ground = most comfortable shot or hedging against which obstacle in the fairway you are most likely to hit.

All about risk management and playing what you are comfortable with.

I hyzer flip a Leopard.:p

I can't get a mid 300 ft on a low ceiling.:wall:

Low ceiling and straight - I'm probably throwing a Roadrunner hyzerflip.

I'll also go with hyzer flipping an understable fairway at about 50-70% power. Controllable power level, consistent hyzer release and don't require much height to get down the fairway.

Star Stingray coming up WELL short, but best distance and accuracy option.

or

MJLS still probably coming up short, and less likely on the fairway, but a good option if feeling it.

My 164g Z Undertaker. . no way i can get a mid 300ft on a low line

And on a low line my Undertaker will skip/glide a few extra feet on the ground. . a mid will stop much to fast for me

I second the Under(wear)taker. I can't get a mid out that far yet so that or my DX thunderbird. And yeah, i like it when I can get that lazerbeam shot and it skips at the end.

How low a ceiling are we talking? I could throw anything from a putter, so a flippy undertaker on a shot like that

Slightly seasoned Roc, Meteor, Mako...

I want a dead neutral mid that I can rake hard and flat.