• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long tee vs. short tee

Which tee pad do you use when you play?

• Short Tee Pad

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Long Tee Pad

Votes: 80 70.2%

• Total voters

andyman

Bogey Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was visiting my inlaws in southern Wisconsin this weekend. My father inlaw and I wound went to Madison and played Hiestand Park and Elver Park.
I noticed that almost everyone playing those two courses were playing from the short tees (I play from the long tees when they are available).
Is this just happening in Madison or is this common at most of the courses that anyone else plays?

I always play the long tees, even on a 9 hole course that has multiple tees. I like to let it rip when I can, but notice that most people I run into on the course play from the short tees(rec players anyways).

99% of the time I play from the long tees when I can find them. There is the occasional exception such as Beaver Island or Gordon Holton where the long tees are natural and the white tees have concrete. In situations like that, I'll usually go for the tee that has an actual pad to throw from.

I play from both. I find I'm generally playing for birdies from the short tees, and playing for pars most of the time from the long tees. Playing from the shorts really helps my midrange game and my putting game (not to mention my confidence and my scores). Playing from the longs helps my driving game and my approaches and keeps me humble. One of the courses I play regularly not only has long tees, but also long baskets. So you can play short-short, long-long, short-long, and long-short. Mix it up for some new shots.

I also play more from the shorts because I'm much better than most of the people I play with (unless I'm at a weekly mini.) When I play from the longs it is usually by myself. One way I've found to keep it competitive when playing with someone less talented is to let them play from the shorts AND to measure their score against the posted par whereas I have to play longs and use "pro par." It can be tough to overcome a 6-8 throw lead when you're playing from longer tees.

I have been playing form the shorts but as I have gotten better I find my self playing the longs more often.

Time to step up and play the longs when I can. The harder the better.

Should've had a both choice. Some places I play from the longs, others the shorts...sometimes mix 'em up just for the hell of it.

If I am playing the course for the first few times, I will play the shorts. After that, I will play the longs.

By "short" I think regular whites and not ladies tees - correct? I think it depends. I'll play the regular tees the first time I'm at a course, but I'll mix it up depending on my mood on a course I'm familiar with.

Yet to play a course with more than one set of tees. We like to keep things simple up here in the mountains.

I usually play the shorts but sometimes I will play both unless there are 3 sets and the shorts are really short then I would most likely play the middle set.

By "short" I think regular whites and not ladies tees - correct? I think it depends. I'll play the regular tees the first time I'm at a course, but I'll mix it up depending on my mood on a course I'm familiar with.

What's a "ladies tee"? I've seen long and short (marked as blue and white or blue and yellow), but I don't think I've ever seen a third tee that says ladies only.

What's a "ladies tee"? I've seen long and short (marked as blue and white or blue and yellow), but I don't think I've ever seen a third tee that says ladies only.
I've never seen one either. I'm not sure they exist as such.

long or short

we always play the long tees when we are playing singles, but when a group of us get together to play doubles we will play the short tees since it is more for fun with doubles, and give everyone some better chances on getting an ace.

Gimme the challenge! Like Tim, I'll play the longs 99% of the time.

Gimme the challenge! Like Tim, I'll play the longs 99% of the time.

I agree, I like to be challenged so I'll almost always play the longs. If I'm at a course the first time, I'll usually play whatever tees seem to be the original set (signs, concrete pads etc), but I generally prefer to be tested when I play.

Both really.
If I'm fresh out of the car - I may play some of the short tees to get loose - long tees generally means throwing hard - and old guys need a little time to warm up.

Alot of times we do the "barber pole" approach and alternate red white red white.

Seneca has so many tee and pin variations - it never gets old :)