• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Longest forehand in disc golf?

Played with Geisinger once and his forehand is legit. There's a hole at dretzka winter course (Milwaukee ) towards the end. Up hill plays a little more then 400 ft( I have 400ft of power and never have reached the pin). Nothing really in the way to force any kind of shot just a pure distance shot atleast for us mortals. We get to this hole and he says "this is a forehand hole". Knowing his backhand distance I'm thinking you are out of your mind. He pulls out a 150 destroyer and parks it with a forehand pretty much on a hyzer. Full flexing shot I would not doubt his forehand is over 500ft. That guy is the most talented golfer I have witnessed.

in 1996 i watched Rodney Goad throw a beat up Cyclone pin high on a 535' wooded hole. most amazing drive i have ever witnessed in person. there is a random youtube video with a guy talking about Rodney's forehand but i can't seem to find it now. Rodney is on some fairly recent East Tennessee tournament videos, but it isn't the best filming. guy could bomb.

Played with Geisinger once and his forehand is legit. There's a hole at dretzka winter course (Milwaukee ) towards the end. Up hill plays a little more then 400 ft( I have 400ft of power and never have reached the pin). Nothing really in the way to force any kind of shot just a pure distance shot atleast for us mortals. We get to this hole and he says "this is a forehand hole". Knowing his backhand distance I'm thinking you are out of your mind. He pulls out a 150 destroyer and parks it with a forehand pretty much on a hyzer. Full flexing shot I would not doubt his forehand is over 500ft. That guy is the most talented golfer I have witnessed.

My buddy played with him at Des Moines Challenge a couple years back and he parked a blind hole that was about 480ft. Actually skipped under the basket and went long, according to spotter. The disc ALMOST flipped to flat from a hyzer, but never really got completely flat.

Stokely in his prime with the plastic of today is the winner.

Yeah I remember meeting Scott a few years ago and man he is a BIG dude in person. I'd imagine in his prime he could absolutely bomb just by sheer physical size/strength.

Nobody has mentioned Lance Brown out of North Carolina, he can rip, has to be in the top 10 forehand.

My buddy played with him at Des Moines Challenge a couple years back and he parked a blind hole that was about 480ft. Actually skipped under the basket and went long, according to spotter. The disc ALMOST flipped to flat from a hyzer, but never really got completely flat.

Out of curiosity, do you remember the course and/or hole? Ewing? I'm from Des Moines

Pretty sure JC Kester is on the list. Dude can bomb 400+ Ft. Overhand and Forehand is his main throw of choice.

Out of curiosity, do you remember the course and/or hole? Ewing? I'm from Des Moines

I double checked with my buddy and looks like I got courses mixed up. This was at CCO on the East course, hole 11. The distance listed is 468ft and he went long.

Video of the hole being played is here: https://youtu.be/-o9AI41Bo7s?t=1846

Starts at 30m46s if the link didn't take you there

Edit - I do remember my buddy also telling crazy tales of Geisinger bombing at Ewing or Pickard. 500+ ft backhand shots on pure hyzers.

Last edited:
Geoff Bennett with the FH roller ftw!

I don't know where he stacks up nowadays, but I've seen him put down some absolutely ridiculous FH rollers on video. He was finishing in places that the course designers probably didn't expect to be possible.

Back in the early 90's around the Midwest I remember a guy (Glen Donner??) throwing the Eclipse forehand.

If I remember he was (or trying to be) a minor league pitcher.

His forehand was really like a submarine pitcher (look up Kent Tekulve or Dan Quissenberry)
nothing like forehanded throwers today.

It was a long time ago so I don't remember if he was a distance thrower, but figure he was since his driver of choice was the Eclipse.

Nobody has mentioned Ryan Sheldon, a 1000 rated pro out of Minnesota. He can absolutely crush forehands 700+ feet with a Destroyer or a Boss. There's a video of him hucking 700 feet somewhere on Facebook but I can't find it as of now.

Eagle, Zach Johnson, Geisinger, and Chris Clemons come to mind. McBeth has sneaky long forehand distance as well, especially when he just takes like one step, seems like he surprises himself sometimes.

Some other honarable mentions could be Brian Earhart, Austin Turner, and Adam Hammes.

What's interesting is that a lot of the best forehand throwers haven't been mentioned, like Wysocki, Sexton, Uli, Barsby, and Joel Freeman

No one has mentioned them because they aren't known for their distance but rather that they use forehands a lot and accurately.

No one has mentioned them because they aren't known for their distance but rather that they use forehands a lot and accurately.

Thanks Doctor Obvious, that was my point, hence me calling them the best at forehand, but not listing them as best for distance.

Although, to that point, I'd bet a lot of those guys could reach big distance if they were willing to sacrifice accuracy, but they won't, because its not worth it.

WIND WAS 10.0 MPH WHEN JASON SET THE FH RECORD ON OCTOBER 26, 2014 WITH A 168 GRAM LEGACY ICON CANNON.

NOT THE SAME YEAR AS WIGGINS. SIMON LIZOTTE SET THE BH RECORD WITH A THROW OF 263.2 METERS (863.5FT) ON OCTOBER 25, 2014 (WIND 12.1 MPH)

I was at Primm in October, 2014 when Jason Cortella and Simon Lizotte set the records. I have all the WFDF reports files for the event which list distance, time and wind speeds.

So 10-12 MPH of sustained tailwind at ground level (and probably faster 30 feet in the air). That may not sound like a lot, but a sustained wind like that is still a huge assist. There's a reason they go out to the desert where they have those sustained winds to set distance records. There wouldn't be any 1000+ foot world distance records in an enclosed aircraft hanger. And they can't NOT do that now since changing the rules to avoid wind would invalidate all the old records (or else mean they would never again be broken). It would be nice to also have an indoor distance record though, so we could see how far a disc can actually be thrown by a human without wind assistance of any kind.

If I remember correctly, there is an indoor distance record, and I believe it is less than 500'. I remember this on one of the boards here when Simon set the outdoor record, but I don't remember which thread it was on.

It would be nice to also have an indoor distance record though, so we could see how far a disc can actually be thrown by a human without wind assistance of any kind.

An indoor distance record with no wind is equally as relevant to the overall game as an outdoor record with wind assistance.

I just don't get all the hubbub about whether it was wind assisted or not. I understand why it matters in track and field events, both symbolically and because the speed/distance records are taken during the same competition that medals are handed out.

Why people care in disc golf confuses me though, it has no relevance to the Tour, it's just for fun. I get that people care to know who can throw "objectively" the furthest out of pure curiosity. I just don't understand why people care, to that degree of specificity, about something to irrelevant.

Latest posts