• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for an Overstable Mid Range

phenom1991

I currently throw Buzzz's as my mid range for the most part. I'm looking for a mid range that is a bit overstable and that will finish left all of the time. I throw my buzzz's anywhere from 270-350. I want a disc that I can snap pretty hard and not have to worry about turning over!! I was thinking about trying out a wasp or on the innova side a Cro. Are these viable options for what i'm looking for? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

not the crow. if you already throw a buzzz a wasp is just a beaded buzzz. might be an easy transition. on innova's side i really like rocs and gators. i do feel a lot safer throwing a gator into a head wind though. i also hear good things about the vector but never throw one.

The trident is a great overstable mid from Lat.64. It you want something Innova try a gator. If all else fails get a vector, its killer.

EDIT: what Gianetics said

Last edited:
I might try a vector, I'm looking for very overstable. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

I might try a vector, I'm looking for very overstable. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Trident is what you want. BTW, all rocs are hard to turn over, just don't get a +mold roc.

Last edited:
I throw the "hive" for Mids with the exception of a usdgc dgcr champ roc. Depending on how your buzzzz finishes I'd try a wasp or hornet for that distance. A drone is a great os mid but won't go as far as the discs mentioned above. I threw a wasp for a while but after just a few months they were dead straight flyers and my buzzzs were turning over quite a bit. That being said I tried the hornet and it works wonders. Has a smooth, straight flight with a predictable fade at the end. Great for hyzer lines, headwind shots, and those tight shots that need a left finish.

The Vector is a great overstable midrange. BUT, it's not very overstable, just mildly.

Trident is super OS. I got rid of it because it was so much so.

Yes, I would avoid the Trident unless you want super strength overstability in a mid. I really like the Trident, but it's one of those discs that you only use once a round, and only if you need a left hand turn around an obstacle.

thanks a lot bugz!! I'm going to buy a hornet, San Marino star roc and a gator. I'll let you guys know how they work out. Thanks again for the great advice!! I'm tired of having to be so delicate with my buzzz's as to not turn them over (even with a hyzer release angle and not alot of snap)

Didn't mean to start a thread that was already opened somewhere else. I was doing it from my mobile device and it wouldn't let me do a search for some odd reason.

Surprised no one mentioned the Whippet. For the speed and overstability - it really is a mid instead of being a driver as described.

Whippets are crazy overstable. You need a pretty big arm to maximize its potential. Especially if your only using it for a BH mid

I also love my Buzzes. I use a Buzz SS for understable shots, the Buzz for straight, and the Hornet (overstable Buzz) for overstable mid shots. Try a Z Hornet

I would avoid the Trident unless you want super strength overstability in a mid. I really like the Trident, but it's one of those discs that you only use once a round, and only if you need a left hand turn around an obstacle.

I use the Trident a bunch during my round. I use it for flex shots, side arms, overhand rollers, spike hyzers, skip shots, you name it. It's really become my utility, get out of trouble disc. Thing will roll for days. Pans super slow for overhands and spikes straight into the ground. I never use it for a midrange type shot however.

If you are going to get a Hornet, get one that is super opaque. The clear runs aren't anywhere near as overstable as the opaque (at least in my experience). The new Ti Wasps are super overstable compared to their Z counterparts (unless you are throwing the old flat top opaque Z's). The Gator is always a good solution but it definitely is shorter then either the Wasp or the Hornet. Every Vector I've thrown isn't as overstable as people make them out to be.

Latest posts