• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to move, best state for disc golf?

Weather is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. Myself, I vastly prefer playing in the Southeast's broiling summer than anywhere under 40 degrees, and won't even mention playing in snow. But others, apparently of otherwise sound mind, feel the opposite. The O.P. didn't say how he feels about heat; only that he wants to flee the ice.

Same with culture and activities. Rather hard to advise someone of a good place to live, without knowing what kind of life they want. Texas is a wonderful place to live. As is Charlotte. And California. And NYC. And backwoods South Carolina. For the right person.

Clearwater/Tampa FL

I have not played or spent much time in most of the cities/locales mentioned. However, I have choosen to drive to the Clearwater/Tampa area to play disc golf in the winter. The weather is nice in the winter. I personally like the weather in the summer as well. Afterall, the Champ Ken Climo lives there. :thmbup: Also, the Orlando area has a couple good courses and it is only about two hours away.

If warm year round is not your thing, then you might consider the Cincinnati/Northern Kenucky area which has about 29 courses in the area. The weather is good most of the year until December-February or March when it is colder. Nashville, Tn, has several good courses as well and is slightly warmer in the winter because of lower elavation and it is several hours south of Northern Kentucky. The down side is I hate country music. :gross:

The Bowling Green, Ky, area is only an hour north of Nashville as well.

Allow me to put in another vote for California.

Here in North County San Diego, it is 75 degrees and sunny today. Within 10 miles of me there are three 18-hole courses (plus a 9-holer), and the beach is right here, too. Or, you can go a half hour inland for hiking and other outdoor adventures. Job-wise, there is a pretty good industrial area here in Carlsbad, and I am sure tech skills can translate to more than just Silicon Valley. Cost of living is higher, but it's worth it.

Which brings us back to the awesomely perfect year-round weather in California with no bugs.

By awesomely perfect do you mean the perpetual drought, smog and forest fires?

I have a rule about food, if I set it outside and bugs aren't tearing it apart I'm not going to eat that ****. Therefore I do not eat margarine or anything like it because you can set a tub of margarine outside and the bugs will leave that **** alone. If you put butter outside it's bug city. I'm a butter man.

I'd say the bugs are equally good at identifying states.

Allow me to put in another vote for California.

Here in North County San Diego, it is 75 degrees and sunny today. Within 10 miles of me there are three 18-hole courses (plus a 9-holer), and the beach is right here, too. Or, you can go a half hour inland for hiking and other outdoor adventures. Job-wise, there is a pretty good industrial area here in Carlsbad, and I am sure tech skills can translate to more than just Silicon Valley. Cost of living is higher, but it's worth it.

Yep, Central and Nor Cal has awesome courses too. All they way from Grass Valley, to Sacramento/Napa areas, to Monterey Bay (with the ultimate being Delaveaga), and down to SLO and Santa Maria. Not as close together as e.g. Carolinas, but many choices. If you are a bit more laid back, California is nice. Expensive, but nice. You could also find affordable places in some parts e.g. Grass Valley.

But honestly, you ought to make DG be one of the lesser items on your list of important reasons to move somewhere, unless you have plans, and the skills, to a top 5 pro, or can find some way to make money off it.

North Carolina hands down. For the tournament scene and especially for the shear numbers of courses with-in a small 30 mile radius. And its the South! Plenty of great weather.

Tampa/St. Pete for year round warm weather though. And you will run into "The Champ."

I really think the best answers are Austin or Denver

First off, Austin has such a bitchin' cultural and social scene. Not to mention UT's campus, which by all accounts is home to the most beautiful women in the world. Throw in TWO world class music festivals and arguably the hottest music scene in the country, combined with 37 disc golf courses (Houck and Olse designs) and things are looking good. The disadvantage is that once you get outside of Austin, you are in Texas.

Denver has a couple great courses in the city, but not far out of town are all kinds of fun ones (Beaver, Phantom, etc.). Also a great cultural scene and you can't turn around without hitting your face on the window of a microbrewery. And think about this: if you live in the right spot, when you wake up in the morning you are looking right at the Rocky Mountains. Tell me how your day can go poorly if EVERYDAY you wake up that kind of majestic beauty.

California California California. Courses, weather, chicks and lots of other fun stuff. From San Diego to Redwood National Park and everything in between. Believe me.

Asheville, NC - Charleston in the Mountains. Great music and outdoor scene and one of the best dg clubs around. Richmond Hill and other good local courses relatively close. Relatively close to Charlotte, 4 hours from Charleston, 2-3 hours to Augusta and Stoney Hll.

Charleston, SC - Asheville on the coast. Great music and outdoor scene. Trophy Lakes and Sewee Outpost nearby. Best town in America especially if you are single. 4 hours to Asheville, 3.5 hours to Charlotte, 3 hours to Augusta and Stoney Hill.

I lived in Durham, North Carolina for 6 years and I loved it there, and of course there is great golf.

Texas is also pretty awesome too, but I must say with all things being considered I like NC a little better.

By awesomely perfect do you mean the perpetual drought, smog and forest fires?

California is a huge state. Not all of CA is as you discribe. Though for the purposes of keeping more people away from here, you can just think that about all of us.:D

California California California. Courses, weather, chicks and lots of other fun stuff. From San Diego to Redwood National Park and everything in between. Believe me.

Shhhhh... Our state is too crowded as it is. I would recomend for everyone to stay as far away from here as possible.

Portland OR is an awesome city, great disc golf courses and a nice atmosphere. I live in southern OR but I plan on moving up there.

I suggest you and 10 friends move to Cali and invade all those courses oh and seek out the secret courses and play them and post online where they are oh and reproduce and invite more chuckers out there and litter definitely litter.

Latest posts