• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing Plastic

They're easy to find when they land in the basket. :D

I've only lost a couple discs in my short career - one was a crud Valk I found in the brush a week earlier, which ended up 40' into a lake, an the other was a RGL Diamond, dark grey (inevitable), which blew into the weeds never to be seen again. I was moderately bummed about the Diamond.

My son is pretty carefree about losing plastic - he's lost some nice Rivers this year, and it's pretty much, "well, looks like I won't be getting that one back" after 5 minutes of looking.

I do keep cheap dx chuckers around for water shots and the like: oddly, they've some of the most dependable discs in my bag.

I don't give up till I find it. I haven't lost one this year (knock on wood). That's how I deal with it lately. My OCD won't let me give up. I tend to attract burrs this way though. Unfortunately a couple years ago I lost my 10 year old Champion Edition Valkyrie in the lake at Kirkland, IL. I will never be happy about that one though. Ever.

I'm actually pretty good about not losing discs. Most of my losses come on shots where I know there's a lost disc potential (water carries usually). For these shots, I make sure to use discs that are completely expendable. If it ends up in the drink, it doesn't bother me much.

I once re-purchased a disc I'd previously lost at PIAS. Someone crossed out part of my phone number and brought it in for store credit. When I lost a couple first run PDs within a month, I ended up waay overstocking on backups. So it hurts to lose one but its exciting knowing its time to pick out a new one from the backups. And it also hurts a little knowing I'm littering...most people don't think about it that way.

I consider losing discs a part of the game. Fortunately, I don't lose many and most come back home thanks to other DGers. The idea of ruining a round because of a lost disc seems defeatist to me...I'm out there to have fun. I'll certainly devote 15 minutes to a lost disc if I have time, but beyond that, my time is worth more than the missing disc.

If I can't stand to lose a disc I'll never throw it. I try to tell myself when buying a new disc that I will probably lose it quick. If I don't it's a pleasant surprise. Some discs like putters and mids I never seem to lose often. Discs like the Escape that I go to so often I can lose all the time. Just buy backups when you can and play a smart game. Loses happen. I still lose less plastic in terms of money than I would lose golf balls when I played golf. A sleeve of three premium balls is about the cost of one premium disc. I can easily lose a sleeve on the course. I don't lose a disc every round.

My reaction depends on the disc. I usually keep one or two in my bag that I'm not real sentimental about or that are spares to ones I normally throw and will throw those on holes where I know there's water or a good chance I could lose said disc. I haven't had a disc loss throw me off my game or put me into a funk. The discs that mean a lot to me (like the first disc I ever bought which pulled me head over feet into the sport) is no longer in my bag and sits on a shelf at home.

I had a TP Warship that i left in a fairway, It was during leagues and I asked everyone who was playing in it, and trust that they didnt find my disc. I asked two other groups if they had found a disc and were kinda awkward when I asked. As for how i react... Its hard for me to play well when im concentrated on where and when i may find my disc, essentially my round is ruined. This warship was perfectly worn in and had a flight path i have never seen on another disc. It is one of my top 3 go to discs. I am not happy, Im worried if i buy another warship to replace it, I wont be happy with its flight pattern.

As I quit throwing OOP plastic, the only discs that bother me when I lose them are the beat-in anhyzer discs or the favorite putter---though if I'm losin' those, I should find a less schule-infested course.

It all comes around. I find more discs than I lose...even after returning all the discs with numbers on them (and giving away a few more to newbs), I had enough left over to trade for some new DGA straps the other day.

BTW, why does everyone seem to lose Champ Starfires? I've found three of them in the last 6 weeks.

I have lost far more discs than I've found. I've never found anything that has made my bag. When I lose discs it seems to be in clumps. I'll lose three in a week and just completely go off the rails on the last one.

Does anyone else get really bummed about losing discs? It seems like every time I lose one (and I lost TWO tonight) I think to myself 'I don't even want to play right now'. Obviously, disc loss happens during DG - it's a fact of life that every disc you like will quite likely be lost or forgotten at some time. So how do you guys battle the frustration of losing a disc? Buy more? Stop playing for awhile?

It's quite literally my least favorite thing about DG.

Agreed. I learned on a course that had 99.99% chance of not losing a disc. The first time i lost a disc on a nother course, i was so bummed. Now i play on courses all the time where i lose discs. I hate it. Really zaps the desire to play from me. I love buying new plastic, just because. When i have to buy new plastic to replace a disc, it ticks me off. I have lost more this year, playing new courses, than ever, and my zest for the game has been dwindling as well.

I've only lot 5 discs so far, so it's a rare occurrence for me. I get really bummed out too, especially after losing my FR Axis, and well loved Vision. In fact, the Vision was my first lost disc in over a year. I'm glad I don't play some of the courses you all have to suffer through.

I have lost far more discs than I've found. I've never found anything that has made my bag. When I lose discs it seems to be in clumps. I'll lose three in a week and just completely go off the rails on the last one.

I also happen to live half a block away from a 9 holer, inhabited by mostly chuckers. It's actually how I got into the sport...I'd be walking my dog, and come across discs all the time. Even after returning the discs with #'s, I ended up with a stack of about ten in the garage. The rest, they say, is history.

What I have been finding lately, is a lot of super light (120-150g) DX plastic, which is working out nicely for my 9yo daughter. She can put her 126 DX Firebird out to about 100-120', which is pretty cool.

Granite Ridge at High Bridge Hills (most notably the F'ING POND ON THE LEFT AT HOLE SEVEN) has eaten 4 discs of mine alone in the past year and a half.

Last time was a brand new Z Flash that I had fallen in love with. I knew better than to throw the thing, but I did it anyway.

Splish Splash.

Sad Panda.

I have lost far more discs than I've found. I've never found anything that has made my bag.

I pulled a no name, no number disc out of the creek a couple months ago. Pro Pig, 175g, damn near new. Never threw one before that, now I love them. The found disc is still in my bag, too.

Thx for the commiseration everyone - I guess the lost-disc frustration is just part of the game, and encourages you to think more before shooting about your shot and disc selection. Think it might be time for a short break for me - maybe come back and re-evaluate my bag and mindset.

I hate the fact that I lose discs like its going out of style, yet never find anyone else's lost discs. Most of mine I end up finding (because Im persistant as hell and Im not above spending an extra 3 hours at the course in the same bush looking for my disc) but I have never once found a 'wild' disc. If I found one with a number Id definetly call, but itd be nice to score a free disc here and there.

yeah, it can bum me out too....but as long as it wasnt SUPER unique or one that I spent 4 hours dying myself, etc etc. Then I try to laugh it off and I always find something that Fills the void. Often times I end up getting a new arrangement and it works great. A silver lining so to speak.

Keep ya head up....it's just plastic. You didnt lose your wallet, right? or phone? So dont let it F up your mood too much.